A fine writing tool can really empower your creativity, helping you to realise your goals and aspirations. X-01 is the rollerball that will transform your writing experience and inspire you to create.
Achieving your creative focus starts by removing all distractions. For this reason, the X-01 does away with bulky caps and clips, in favour of a minimalist, unibody design with an elegant twist mechanism that was custom designed specifically by us for this project. Precision-machined from titanium, brass or aluminium, not only is it exceptionally durable, but its all-metal construction also gives it a distinctively solid feel in hand. All these elements, coupled with a smooth-writing rollerball refill, create a unique writing instrument that channels your creativity.
Being a small independent design studio, we need your help to make this project a reality. With the engineering and prototyping phases already completed, you’ll be helping us launch our first production run of the X-01 pen.
- Timeless minimalist design. Clean lines. Unibody writing instrument. No distracting clip or cap.
- Elegant twist mechanism. Custom-made retraction mechanism.
- Built to last. Precision-machined from solid titanium, aluminium or brass.
- Capless rollerball. Writes much smoother than a ballpoint as it uses water-based ink instead of oil-based ink. Doesn't require a cap (1 year cap off time for the refill).
Choose one of four options (sets of pens are also available):
You'll be able to choose your aluminium pen colour when we send you the backer survey after the Kickstarter campaign ends. This is where you'll also tell us your delivery address and other important details.
A 100% metal construction, precision-machined from titanium, brass or aluminium, means the X-01 is extremely tough compared to your average pen. This is an expensive and complex process, but it yields a writing instrument with good weight and balance that feels distinctively solid in your hand.
Even the internal mechanism is made from solid metal and completely custom-made for this project, so it won't let you down, even after many years of use.
The X-01 pen uses a short rollerball refill produced by Schmidt (model P8126) which is widely available from both Amazon and independent stationery retailers, as well as our own website www.namisu.com (after the project is completed).
These refills are compatible with your X-01:
- Schmidt P8126 (included) - Fine
- Schmidt P8127 (not included) - Medium
- Schmidt P8120 (not included) - Broad
A rollerball is different from a ballpoint. A rollerball uses water-based ink and needs very little pressure to write for a much smoother, less tiring writing experience. By contrast, a ballpoint uses thick oil-based ink that requires significant pressure to write with, but dries faster.
- Aluminium - 27g with refill. Feels light in your hand. Great for everyday writing and long writing sessions.
- Titanium - 41g with refill. Slightly noticeable weight but pleasant, solid feel in your hand. Great for everyday writing and long writing sessions.
- Brass - 74g with refill. Feels quite heavy. Suitable for light note taking, signatures.
- Titanium - Lightly brushed machined finish.
- Brass - Lightly brushed machined finish, which is left uncoated and so will develop a patina over time.
- Aluminium - Comet Grey or Satin Black anodised coating for high scratch resistance.
The brass material is particularly interesting because it forms a patina that is individual to each user. Over time it will become darker and richer with age as can be seen in the photos below:
To keep your X-01 safe with style, we've designed premium quality leather sleeves made from natural vegetable tan leather. Add the following amount to your pledge to obtain a sleeve:
- 1 x leather sleeve - Add extra £10 to your pledge
- 2 x leather sleeves - Add extra £18 to your pledge
- 3 x leather sleeves - Add extra £27 to your pledge
The X-01 was designed by Adrien Cols and Maria Millan. Namisu is a design studio based near Edinburgh, United Kingdom.
We have successfully completed three writing instrument projects on Kickstarter.
Risks and challenges
We have completed three large writing instrument projects over the past 2 years on Kickstarter and we will use this experience to successfully deliver your X-01 rollerball.
Throughout this time, we have developed strong manufacturing relationships with experienced manufacturers which is crucial to delivering a high quality product on time. We are using the same manufacturing techniques as our previous 3 projects and have developed a production prototype. The X-01 is ready to go into production.
We know that there can always be some unexpected delays during production but we have planned for this and extended our production schedule accordingly. Raw materials like bar stock can arrive late during busy periods of the year; machines can break down and require servicing. These are minor delays that can be absorbed easily into our production schedule, and which do not affect the feasibility of the project.
Another common challenge is fulfilling a project that exceeds its project funding goal significantly. To solve this potential issue we are working with large manufacturers that can produce our pens in any quantity realistically possible on Kickstarter. We do not anticipate any extension of the delivery date unless the project exceeds 3000 backers, at which point we would need to revise the manufacturing completion target date.
We are also working with a professional logistics and fulfilment company which will handle all shipping and packing operations to avoid any delays during the shipping phase of the project.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (35 days)