The Nova Pen is a minimalist writing instrument crafted from precision-machined titanium or aluminium. These premium materials coupled with the Nova’s clean, modern design and sculptural feel, make it a creative tool that will inspire you to create every day.
Our unique adapter, included with every pen, allows you to use a huge range of refills from both Parker-style and Euro-style refill formats. Just by changing the refill you can turn your pen into a rollerball, ballpoint, fineliner, gel, or space pen.
As a small independent manufacturer, we need your help to launch a production run of the Nova as the only way to make luxury materials such as titanium available to everyone is to purchase them in bulk. By backing this project you will be helping us to create a set of truly premium writing instruments at an affordable price.
The Nova is available in three materials:
- Aluminium 6061 Aircraft Grade - Satin Black or Comet Grey
- Titanium Grade 2 - Brushed
- Brass (Stretch Goal) - Uncoated, so will develop patina over time
If you hurry, you can get a discount by being amongst the first to back the project by selecting "Early Backer" rewards which are limited in quantity!
The brass version will be uncoated which will allow each pen to darken with age and acquire a natural patina individual to each user.
Please note that brass is a beautiful yet heavy material which will give the brass version considerable weight. We recommend this version if you are looking for an “oversized” pen.
The Nova Pen takes any standard Parker-format refills and most Euro-format refills thanks to the included adapter, so you can use your favourite rollerball, ballpoint or fineliner refill with the same pen!
- The Nova comes with a free Parker-style Schmidt P8126 rollerball refill.
How it works:
The Parker-style refills are shorter than the Euro-style refills so we have created a set of two modular spacers that make up for difference in size.
- In the Parker–style configuration, the shortest refill size, you would use the longest spacer configuration where both spacers are screwed together.
- In the Euro-style configuration, the longest refill, you just need the shortest spacer.
Here are two examples of rollerball refills, each with a different refill standard:
- Fisher Space Pen Refill, PR Series (With its plastic adapter)
- Faber-Castell Scribero Gel Ink Roller Refill
- Faber-Castell Ballpoint Pen Refill (Broad, Medium)
- Foray Ballpoint Refill for Parker
- Kaweco Soul Ballpoint Pen Refill (Broad, Medium, Fine)
- Kaweco Ceramic Gel Ink Rollerball Pen Refill
- Moleskine Ballpoint Refill Moleskine Gel Refill
- Monteverde Ballpoint Refill (For Parker Style Pens)
- Monteverde Capless Ceramic Gel Refill P42
- Monteverde Soft Roll P13 Ballpoint Pen Refill
- Monteverde Soft Roll P15 Super Broad Refill
- OHTO PG-805NP Needlepoint Gel Refill
- OHTO Needlepoint Ballpoint Pen Refill P80-07NP
- Parafernalia Ballpoint Pen Refill Parker Ballpoint Pen Refill (Broad, Medium, Fine)
- Parker GEL Ballpoint Pen Refill (Medium) Parker
- Quinkflow Ballpoint Pen Refill (Medium, Fine)
- Pelikan Giant Ballpoint Pen Refill 337 (Broad, Fine, Medium)
- Pentel KFLT8 Ballpoint Pen Refill
- Platignum Standard Ballpoint Pen Refill
- Schmidt 9000M Easyflow Ballpoint Refill (Medium)
- Schmidt P8126 Capless Rollerball (Fine)
- Schmidt P8127 Capless Rollerball Pen Refill (Medium)
- Schmidt P900 Ballpoint Refill (Broad, Medium, Fine)
- Schmidt P950 Megaline Pressurized Ballpoint Pen Refill (Medium)
- Schneider Express 735 Pen Refill (Broad, Medium, Fine)
- Schneider Slider 755 Pen Refill (Extra-Broad, Medium)
- Stabilo Ballpoint Refill
- S.T. Dupont Defi Ballpoint Pen Refill
- S.T. Dupont Jet 8 Ballpoint Pen Refill
- Tombow BR-ZLM Ballpoint Pen Refill
- Visconti Gel Refill AA38 Pen Refill
- Visconti Ballpoint AA49 Pen Refill
- Caran d’Ache Fibre Tip Refill
- Caran d’Ache Rollerball Refill
- Faber-Castell Luxury Pens Rollerball Pen Refill
- Faber-Castell Rollerball Pen Refill Faber-Castell Fineliner Pen Refill
- Monteverde Fineliner Refill G52
- Monteverde Ceramic Rollerball Refill W22
- Monteverde Spring-Loaded Tip Fineliner Refill G62
- OHTO C-300 Ceramic Rollerball Pen Refill (Broad, Fine, Extra-Fine)
- OHTO F-300 Fude Refill
- Pilot G2
- Schmidt FineLiner refill
- Schmidt Safety Ceramic Rollerball Pen Refill (Broad, Medium, Fine)
- Schmidt Safety Rolling Tube Refill
- Schmidt RollingSupersteel refill (Broad, Medium, Fine)
- Schneider Topball 850 Pen Refill
- Schneider Topliner 970 Pen Refill
- Sheaffer Fineliner Refill
- Visconti Rollerball Pen Refill AA40 0.7
We will also be making a custom leather sleeve handmade from premium quality vegetable tan leather (black or brown) available for the Nova.
- Add £10 to your pledge for one sleeve.
- Add £18 for two sleeves.
The Nova is a full-sized pen with a thick section for confortable writing.
Each material has a different weight, we consider the aluminium to be a light-weight pen; the titanium a medium-weight; and the brass a super-heavyweight.
Please note that the Nova is designed to be used without a cap.
- Length (Length uncapped) – 139mm (120mm)
- Grip diameter: 12mm
- Maximum diameter: 15.6mm
- Aluminium Weight (Weight uncapped) – 33g (25g)
- Titanium Weight (Weight uncapped) – 54g (38g)
- Brass Weight (Weight uncapped) – 95g (67g)
The deadlines for key project milestones are as follows:
- Campaign Ends – 17 July 2016 Kickstarter
- Funds Received – 4 August 2016
- Machining and Finishing Completed – 20 October 2016
- Quality Control Complete – 31 October 2016
- Shipping Complete – 15 November 2016
We are a small independent pen manufacturer based near Edinburgh, United Kingdom. We’ve been creating writing instruments for the last two years and we have completed two crowdfunded pen projects on Kickstarter.
- Designed by: Adrien Cols and Maria Millan
Risks and challenges
Production delays – To avoid production delays we have produced samples of each part in each material type. This has allowed us to determine that we are able to produce the parts with our suppliers so as to avoid production delays. Production delays can still occur as machines can break down and require maintenance; or supplies of raw materials can arrive late, but the risk of this is low.
Large demand – Pens projects can be very popular on Kickstarter, so it is possible that our funding goal could be exceeded. If this happens the project could take extra time to complete but the proposed timeline shouldn’t change unless we have more than 2000 backers.
Quality – We have several years of experience in the manufacturing of pens and have rigorous quality control procedures in place to make sure you receive a quality pen.
Shipping large volumes – Shipping will be handled by a professional logistics company which means that we will be able to pack and ship large amount of orders with ease.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)