About this project
Welcome to the 3D-REX sculpture project. My name is Adrien and along with Octavio, José and Coco we form a team of four product designers based in Madrid (Spain) and Edinburgh (United Kingdom). Our goal is to create truly different decorative objects for your home by using new materials and production technologies.
Through our first project we wanted to explore the possibilities of 3D-printing for sculpture. We came up with the concept of a wireframe fossil, a complex geometric mesh representing one of the most ancient and iconic creatures: the Tyrannosaurus Rex! The concept really appealed to us because it represents a contrast between old and new, mixing nature’s own amazing creations with technological advances of today. Though it looked good as a CAD model, the 3D-Printed result blew us away; the way the organic wireframe flows and plays off the light is really quite a sight. The sculpture really has a kind of raw energy to it that we’ve tried our best to express in the pictures below:
How can you help?
By supporting the 3D-REX you'll be helping us in the following ways:
Firstly, you’ll be supporting us reach our minimum orders with our providers. We need you to bring a horde of Tyrannosaurs to life! Bulk ordering will enable us to acquire all the materials we need to get the sculpture to you at the prices stated in the rewards. For example, even something as simple as a cardboard box and protective inner packaging is expensive if you’re purchasing just a few units; purchasing in large numbers resolves this issue.
Secondly, developing 3D-REX was complex, it took us a long time to get it right. Supporting us through this project means that we'll be able to bring you even more unique objects and exciting sculptures in the future!
Two Versions: Wall and Desk 3D-Rex Sculpture
There are two versions of this sculpture, one for your wall and another for your desk. The desk version stands by itself when you put it down on a flat surface whilst the wall version can be hung from a hook or nail on your wall. The difference resides in the “neck of the sculpture” as you can see in the picture below.
Colours & Material
3D Rex is made of strong flexible plastic, 3D-printed using Selective Laser Sintering. It feels and looks more like something between wood and stone rather than plastic. It actually feels like a fossil! The material is very nice to the touch, it is quite smooth and very light but at the same time strong. We really want to express that it doesn’t feel cheap or flimsy; we’re product designers and quality is everything to us!
- Small: White only. The tinting process makes it too weak at this size.
- Medium: Red, Blue, Violet, Pink, Red, Black, White.
- Large: Black and White.
- Wall: White only. It’s too big for the tinting machines at this size.
- Small: 8.7 x 3.3 x 5.4 cm/ 3.4 x 1.3 x 2.1 In
- Medium: 12.2 x 4.6 x 7.5 cm/ 4.8 x 1.8 x 3 In
- Large: 23.8 x 8.9 x 14.7 cm/ 9.4 x 3.5 x 5.8 In
- Wall: 25.1 x 11.5 x 22.4 cm / 9.9 x4.5 x 8.8 In
Here's a summary of the sculpture rewards by size (there are also "Early Bird" discounts on most of these):
For the £1 Rewards and with every sculpture pledge you also get the following digital wallpapers in high resolution:
- Adrien Cols: Project Manager
- Octavio Asensio: Lead Designer
- Coco Lombarte: Assistant Designer
- José Cifuentes: Assistant Designer
A HUGE THANK YOU to musician Sau Poler for letting us use his amazing "Rutes" song. Here's a link to his soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sau-poler
Risks and challenges
We’ve taken into account things that could go wrong and taken measures to prevent them from doing so:
• Quality assurance. We’ve made all the sculptures in every size and colour offered in the rewards and checked them to make sure they have good strength and quality finish. This process has enabled us to eliminate flaws, for example, we thickened the mesh on large sculptures to increase strength and discarded the colour option at small size because of poor finish and strength.
• Too many orders. If the project generated high order numbers could we satisfy the demand? Yes. We’ve talked to our providers and anything between 50-1000 units will not affect the delivery time. Should there be more orders the demand can also be matched and would only cause the delivery time to be delayed 2 weeks at most. We have foreseen extra storage space and manpower to handle a very large volumes of orders.
• Apart from the above every team member has at least 1-2 years
professional experience in product design or project management. It’s not the first time we’ve designed an object from start to finish. :)
Support this project
- (35 days)