I, like I'm sure you, have been eating nachos for years, and I, like I'm sure you, love them something fierce. However, my love for them was such that four years ago I started the website Nachonomics in order to spread the good word about the tastiest of foods. Now, a website is all well and good, but what happens when your love of nachos is greater than what can be contained on the internet? Say, you love them so much you have to constantly eat them, for example? You know you can't EAT the internet, but you still want nachos, a LOT of different kinds of nachos. If only there was some way that you could learn how to make a bunch of different kinds of nachos that you could eat!
Enter Recipes from the Nachonomicon, a pocket sized cookbook of all the finest types of nachos from throughout the ages, all now easily available at your fingertips.
- READ... The History of the Nachonomicon and how it became the blueprint for all the nachos you know and love today!
- LEARN... How to cook the finest examples of each member of the nacho family from "Artisanal" to "Single Serving." (There's no general type of nacho that begins with "Z" so that's as good as it gets alphabet wise, and I wouldn't want to trick you into thinking there was a type of called "ZBBQ Nachos" or something.)
- KNOW... The joy that comes of making you, or a loved one, a delicious meal of nachos that will both satiate your hunger and allow you to know the true satisfaction of being able to provide the sustenance to keep a human being alive.
- TASTE... Nachos, and lots of them, once you make them of course.
While our first book, The Field Guide to Nachos, was all about the history of nachos, and our second, Nachos & You, was about living your life the nacho way, Recipes from the Nachonomicon is perhaps the most useful in the kitchen as it is chockablock with nacho recipes for you to sample. You would be shocked at how many people in this day and age still think that nachos are just chips and some crummy cheese sauce, but with this book you'll be able to teach them a thing or two about nachos. Because this book is full of nacho recipes that you could teach them that aren't just chips and crummy cheese, and displayed in a format to instruct you in how to cook them, you know, like the way a cookbook works. Would both Julia Child and Guy Fieri be proud? I would like to think yes.
A 32 page full color pocket sized cookbook (made of 100% recycled paper right here in the USA if those are deciding factors for you) featuring examples of all the nachos and members of the nacho family throughout the years. Starting with the humble Chilaquiles of the Nahuatl and working up through the years to the artisanal small batch nachos found in the more progressive parts of cities the world over, you can truly taste the evolution of the dish. Can you make a black bean sauce that you can pour into spaces in nachos that a normal clump of beans couldn't reach? Did you know that an order of nachos made with french fries and one made with tater-tots both count as Irish Nachos? Can you make nachos for dessert, and more importantly, should you? Black bean sauce, Irish Nachos, and nachos for dessert are all things you will be able to make once you've perused this final work in the complete collection of all nacho knowledge.
As an added bonus, anyone backing at the TWO BOOK level or above gets a free set of “Bienvenidos a Piedras Negras!” Season 1 Post Cards, so maybe instead of getting just one book you know a friend who would like one as well?
Speaking of the complete collection of all nacho knowledge, there's more to nachos than just eating them, which is why if you want to know everything there is to know about nachos you need to check out the other two books of nacho information, The Field Guide to Nachos, covering nacho history, and Nachos & You, covering nacho philosophy. With these two books. in addition to Recipes from the Nachonomicon, you can feel secure in the knowledge that you’ll be able to give a T.E.D. talk on every single aspect of nachos.. Probably closer to 3 T.E.D. talks as a matter of fact.
Turns out that we still had a few old shirts left from our "vintage" collection in sizes Small, Medium, and Large. You'll randomly get one of these in your selected size only in the RANDOM "VINTAGE" shirt reward levels. Numbers are limited and there's no telling which of these three you'll end up with.
Do you remember the awesome "Recipes from the Nachonomicon" 2016 World Tour? How could you not! The way it rocked the whole world in a groove of nachos never before seen nor tasted on this planet was truly a show for the ages. Now you can own the very tour shirt given away on the tour! On the front you will find the famous woodcut of Raul Alhazredo writing The Nachonomicon, and on the back all the finely-named nacho recipes available in this book. (Note: The back is not quite finalized as the recipes are still being tweaked, but you get the general idea of what it's going to look like. And since they don't yet exist yet we also can't provide a picture of someone wearing them, so use your imagination.)
Long thought that all the replicas of Raul Alhazredo's legendary book of nacho knowledge were destroyed or given out in our first Kickstarter, a limited cache of these were found buried deep in the crypts beneath an abandoned restaurant in Piedras Negras. While the original was rumored to have been bound in tortillas and written in blood salsa, these replicas are made instead of books, tortillas, glue, modge-podge, paint, screws, leather, etc. While containing no actual forbidden nacho knowledge, this replica will fit right in on the shelf between your copies of Ludvig Prinn's De Vermis Mysteriis, Friedrich von Juntz's Unaussprechlichen Kulten, and Julia Child's Culinary Secrets of the O.S.S. It was also featured briefly in a commercial for The Field Guide to Nachos which was supposed to air on a segment of Good Morning America back in 2015. The commercial also includes the mandatory dapper cat.
Back by popular demand (and because if you do something twice in a row it becomes a thing that people expect you to continue doing) comes Season Three of the popular “Bienvenidos a Piedras Negras!” series of post cards. Did you like the ones from The Field Guide to Nachos and Nachos & You shown above? Well, you'll probably be pretty cool with this season's then, and because you are also pretty cool in general.
What if you want more books and shirts and post cards than we have listed in a reward? Well, lucky for you, you can add them on to any order of $25 or more! Just increase your pledge by the below then specify what you would like once we send out the survey after the project ends!
- ADD AN EXTRA COPY OF "THE FIELD GUIDE TO NACHOS", "NACHOS & YOU", OR "RECIPES FROM THE NACHONOMICON"! + $5
- ADD AN EXTRA SET OF "BIENVENIDOS A PIEDRAS NEGRAS" POST CARD COLLECTION (Featuring Season 1, 2 and 3)! + $5
- ADD AN EXTRA RECIPES FROM THE NACHONOMICON WORLD TOUR SHIRT! +$15 for YXS-XL, +$18 for 2XL-4XL
It's that easy!
So if miracle of miracles this project somehow gets more than the asked for amount of cash dollars, what will be done with that extra scratch? Well, there are a few ideas kicking around to make this whole Kickstarter experience even better.
- UNLOCKED! - STICKERS: In our past project we had stickers to go along with them, and if we hit $2,800 we'll reprint them and every pledge of $9 or more will get one! Opening your mail to find one of these accompanying your reward will be as astounding as learning that you can see a dead guy hanging on the set in that woods scene of 'The Wizard of Oz'.
- UNLOCKED! - 'NACHO LIBRE' COMMENTARY: Now, many people think that the 2006 Jack Black luchador vehicle 'Nacho Libre' was just some throw away bit of fluff, but no! As a true fan of nachos, you should be able to dissect it and read between the lines for the hidden meanings and truths about the history of nachos in this film. If you don't have time for that however you can listen to this alternative commentary track to play simultaneously with the movie for nacho hints and tricks beyond your wildest dreams! If you thought playing 'Dark Side of the Moon' while watching 'The Wizard of Oz' was trippy, you ain't heard nothing yet. For legal reasons I'm sure it goes without saying that we are in no way associated with the movie or whatever movie studio owns it, it's solely for educational purposes and you will need to procure your own copy of the film to enjoy to your fullest.
- UNLOCKED! - NACHO COOKING VIDEOS: Because integrating old and new technology (Like the 3D re-release of 'The Wizard of Oz') is all the rage these days, included in the book will be secret codes allowing you to simultaneously read how to make the nacho recipes and watch how to make the nachos at the same time. It's what the future is here for, technology that lets you view nacho making videos.
- UNLOCKED! - FULL COLOR "RECIPES FROM THE NACHONOMICON": Do you know what's even better than pictures of nachos? FULL COLOR PICTURES OF NACHOS! We'll take the book from black and white, beginning of 'The Wizard of Oz' to full color, when Dorothy goes to Oz 'The Wizard of Oz' in no time at all. Why settle for Ansel Adams when you can get whatever the color version of Ansel Adams is? And why am I settling for making all these 'The Wizard of Oz' references? I guess comparing the addition of color to 'Pleasantville' works as well.
- UNLOCKED! - "BIENVENIDOS A PIEDRAS NEGRAS" POST CARD COLLECTION SEASON THREE, CARD 2 REVEALED!: I don't have a 'Wizard of Oz' pun here, we're just going to show off some more of the sweet sweet post cards we're making for the project.
- UNLOCKED! - "BIENVENIDOS A PIEDRAS NEGRAS" POST CARD COLLECTION SEASON THREE, CARD 3 REVEALED!: Again, no 'Wizard of Oz' pun here, just going to reveal awesome post card number 3! Is it by some fancy internet artist? You know it!
- UNLOCKED! - FREE "BIENVENIDOS A PIEDRAS NEGRAS" POST CARD COLLECTION SEASON ONE INCLUDED IN EVERY PLEDGE AT THE "TWO BOOKS" LEVEL OR HIGHER!: Yet again, no 'Wizard of Oz' pun here, just a bunch of free post cards! Your friends are going to be so excited checking their mail for messages from you!
As aforementioned, I've been a nacho fan for decades and writing about them at the website Nachonomics for the past four years, as well as co-founding The Nacho News Network. You can check the websites, like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter, watch on YouTube, you know, all that social stuff. I also previously wrote "The Field Guide to Nachos" and "Nachos & You" (Both of which were displayed by Kickstarter at Sundance 2016), and had some nice interviews with Kickstarter and the local paper, about them. I'm also one of the hosts of the Nacho and Horror podcast The Horror of Nachos and Hamantaschen with author J.R. Hamantaschen. Plus, there's the whole Doctorate in Nachonomics from Miskatonic University as well, and they don't give those out to just anyone as though it was some kind of made up university or something.
Risks and challenges
As for being qualified to run a project through Kickstarter, this will be our third nacho book backed here after the previous successful creations of "The Field Guide to Nachos" and "Nachos & You". We pretty much have the whole "produce a book about nachos" thing down pat. For our first project we did have an issue with our original printer that set us back a bit, but we found a new one fairly easy and have been using them ever since for lovely results.
As for being qualified to write about nachos, I suggest you check out Nachonomics for four years of nacho facts and wisdom as well as our sister and contributing site The Nacho News Network.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)