A mashup between the best of Toy Story and Mario Kart, Rose Racer brings fun and exciting racing while also giving you lovable characters and their stories!
Have you ever wondered what happens to a house left quiet all day long; where toys, toy cars and race tracks are left unattended? You’ll find the answer with Rose Racer!
Rose Racer Pre-Alpha Demo Available Now!
You can check out the Pre-Alpha Demo for Rose Racer on Itch.io, right now! Download it for free, and let us know what you think!
Rose Racer is a kart racing game for the PC, being developed by Nacelle Games, LLC.
We've been inspired by the classic kart racing games of the 1990’s like Super Mario Kart and Crash Team Racing; games everyone at our studio grew up playing. We're also big fans of Toy Story and Pixar.
So we set out to make Rose Racer not only a fun kart racing game to play on the couch with your friends, but to be more then that.
That’s right, a Story Mode in a racing game!
At its core, Rose Racer is more than a multiplayer racing game. We want players to be able to explore the world of Rose and her friends, and get to know the characters they’ll be racing with. So we decided to make a Story Mode for Rose Racer.
You and your friends will be able to play through 6 unique stories, each starring a different character, each hand drawn, and each taking place over a series of races across the 6 race tracks that will be in the game. Plus, every character's story will be fully voiced by a very talented cast of voice actors.
Diverse Characters, Unique Cars
Rose is a spunky young girl with heart who will do anything to help her friends. She is a total tomboy, and has the reputation of being the fastest racer in the house. She thrives on competition and dares anyone to challenge her to a race!
Ben is so in love with racing, he declares himself "King of the Track" and lets everyone know it when he wins a race. Ben loves cars, and especially loves racing! He is always the first to challenge Rose to a race. As Rose's brother, Ben loves to get on her nerves which makes for some very interesting situations.
Kitty has always loved to race, but she must have her lucky goggles before she will get anywhere near the race track. Kitty may be easily scared if startled during a cat nap or when Jack blows a fuse at her antics, but on the track, she puts the petal to the metal as she blasts through to the finish line!
Raven is never short on a story to tell about 'the old days' of how he used to be a stray dog, having to search for food and always be ready to fight for the most comfy spot to sleep. He is a tough old dog, never backing down and always on guard to alert everyone if the family is about to return home! When he hears the family coming, he is the first to warn the others by calling out, "Go Stuffed!" Watch out for him on the track, he can fight dirty and loves to try to run others off the road!
Maria is a fashionista with a knack for racing. She knows how to spruce up the track by leaving others in her dust. She tries to keep the other racers in line, and makes sure they're all taken care of. Maria always has a makeup bag with her just in case, as well as a second outfit….because you never know what can happen!
Jack is a former army soldier with a secret from his past. His big secret will be revealed in his story mode in the full version of the game. Jack knows how to avoid obstacles and is always looking for ways to show off his strength. He is very disciplined, and gets angry at others who want to be lazy or run scared (like Kitty).
6 Race Tracks
Rose Racer will feature 6 race tracks. The first, called The Kitchen, can be seen in the in-engine screenshot above, and is available to play in the Pre-Alpha Demo.
Since Rose and her Friends love to race all around their house, they've turned each room into its own race track! Here's a brief description of each race track you'll encounter:
- The Kitchen - Watch out for the jump to the island! (This track is available to play in the Rose Racer Pre-Alpha Demo)
- The Backyard - An outdoor track with plenty of surprises.
- Family Room - Everyone feels right at home among all the kid's toys.
- The Abyss - The one place no toy wants to go; under the bed...
- Tommy's Room - Ben's kid's room. He doesn't pick up his toys, so there's plenty of obstacles while racing.
- Emma's Room - Rose's kid's room. Although not as messy as Tommy's Room, it presents its own unique challenges.
Pickups & Items
The Rose Racer team at Nacelle Games has been able to create about one sixth of Rose Racer thus far; which is available to play in the form of a Pre-Alpha Demo.
The demo includes The Kitchen track, Ben and Rose (and their cars), and a special Origin Story for Ben and Rose, created just for the Kickstarter. We'll be updating and adding more content to the demo throughout the Kickstarter.
For the full version of Rose Racer, our plan is to use the same great team, but also add additional artists and voice actors, along with having composer Megan McDuffee write all original music for the game.
Once the Kickstarter is successful, we are planning to complete 1 track (including original music), and 1 character story in Story Mode, each month for the next 5 to 6 months. We will also be adding Battle Mode!, some additional Items, and an AI system for players to race against.
Then we will spend about a month beta testing the game, and polishing it for release. Currently, our projected release is November to December of this year (2015).
It can be expensive to make games. We've done extensive research, and careful planning, to come up with the goal for our Kickstarter campaign. In the interest of full transparency, here is our breakdown of where the funds raised from this Kickstarter will go towards the development of Rose Racer:
We want to make Rose Racer the best possible game it can be. Our team has been working tirelessly for months to get the game to the pre-alpha stage it is in today. We feel Rose Racer is a perfect way to have fun with your friends, and it's a great way for families to play together too.
But we can't make Rose Racer all on our own. We've laid most of the groundwork for the game, in terms of the core gameplay (racing, items, cars, etc.). Now it's time for us to start making more content: create more tracks, write more stories, record more voiceover, etc.; and start working on the exciting Battle Mode!
This is where you come in; as a backer of Rose Racer, you can help support our team, and help us make the entirety of Rose Racer a reality!
As a backer, you’ll be a part of making a unique game with wonderful stories to tell, interesting and diverse characters to meet and get to know, and fun times to be had with friends and family as you kick back on the couch and race the day away.
So check out all of our backer rewards, with more detailed descriptions below; and help us make an amazing, unique game for you, your friends, your family, and anyone else who wants to play a kart racing game with modern design and wonderful stories to tell.
- Rose Racer, Full Game as a DRM-Free digital download - the full, DRM-Free digital version of Rose Racer for PC (Windows). (You can play the Pre-Alpha Demo right now by downloading it from Itch.io)
- Bumper Sticker - Adorn your real life kart (or car) with a custom Rose Racer bumper sticker, and let everyone know you're a backer! The bumper sticker will include the game's logo and hand drawn art of the entire cast of characters.
- 8x10 Poster - Hang up a high quality 8x10 poster print of the entire Rose Racer cast of characters (the exact poster design is still under construction).
- T-Shirt - Let everyone know you're not only a fan of kart racing games, but also a backer of Rose Racer! The t-shirt design is still being finalized, but will include the game's logo, cast of characters, and the phrase "Rose Racer backer."
- Rose Racer Original Soundtrack - a high fidelity, DRM-Free, digital version of the Rose Racer Original Soundtrack, inspired by 90's game soundtracks, written and composed by Megan McDuffee. Listen to the Main Menu music track below:
- Beta Access - You will get access to a Beta version of the Game (sometime in Q3 2015), and get access to a special online forum only for Beta Testers, so you can provide feedback directly to the development team. You will be among the first to see and play the full game, including the much anticipated Battle Mode!
- 3D Printed Characters - The characters of Rose Racer can step out of the game and into your hands with a custom full color 3D print of any one of the game's cast of characters!
- Backer Exclusive, Handcrafted Plush Dolls - Handcrafted by Kitamon Plush, and exclusive to Rose Racer Kickstarter Backers, you can choose to receive either a Rose or a Ben plush doll!
Become a Backer!
Risks and challenges
There is always the risk of delays in game development, so we have allotted extra time in our development cycle to account for any unexpected delays or issues, along with time for QA testing, bug fixing, and Beta Tester feedback.
When faced with the challenge of completing the full game, we know we will be successful because we have an amazing group of talented artists, programmers, musicians, and actors that are all awesome and amazing to work with. And we are all committed to finishing Rose Racer, and making it the best kart racing game it can be.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (44 days)