Play as a gay prince Amir who needs to survive royal life and come up with excuses to avoid marrying a princess.
• Hundreds of unique & hilarious excuse combinations
• Stylized fairytale-esque art
• Original soundtrack
• Every playthrough is different; lots of randomized elements
• Challenging resource management
• Tricky decisions
• A perfect mix of casual and challenging gameplay
• On Itch.io; help us pass Greenlight for a Steam release
It's audience time, your first. You nervously poke your crown to make sure it's properly perched on top of your dark, curly locks, and sit down on your throne with a sigh. Your advisors make sure you're ready - you ate breakfast and brushed your teeth, right?
Then, it starts. Your Drakemaster steps into the room. The dragons are getting too fat! What will you do? Your loyal subjects are not feeling so loyal when they get eaten by your scaly pets. Breaking news, they also just set the library on fire. And oh, by the way, you're getting proposed to by a princess today - too bad you're gay!
Your Royal Gayness is a story-driven resource management game for PC, Mac and Linux, where you play as a gay prince named Amir. Your job is to keep the kingdom together while your parents are away, but it's pretty hard when problems keep piling on and princesses are showing up, hungry for marriage with the heir of an influential kingdom!
"I came up with the idea for the game in Summer 2016. I was trying to think of an idea for a LGBT-themed game jam, and then it hit me - I had been thinking of doing some kind of a fairytale parody for a while, and these two themes worked together perfectly. The jam game never happened, but when I was introduced with a game development task at the applied university, I saw my chance and took it. Since then, the project has grown bigger and way more professional, and I'm working almost full time on it.
I've never fit into most of the boxes the world has tried to shove me in; as a child, I liked fantasy books and swordfights, and as I grew older I got more and more interested in geeky stuff like comics, japanese popular culture and most importantly, games. I also started realizing I definitely wasn't straight, which is why the subject of the game is so close to my heart.
I hope that after playing this game, people can understand people like me better."
-Salli, Project Lead and Overlord
The game advances day-by day for a few months while your parents are traveling. Each day includes four phases.
Audience phase: Try to solve your kingdom's problems by making challenging choices!
Management phase: Give commands to your advisors so they can help you shape your kingdom the way you want.
Events phase: A neighbouring Kingdom is holding a ball - will you go? What do you do there? Events are bits of story that let you get out of your throne room. Events include special illustrations by our artists and some talented guest artists!
Sometimes there are surprises as well, like princesses who come to propose to you! Quick, think of excuses! The game gives you options to build your excuse from - but fingers crossed you don't accidentally mention something the princess likes!
You have to be careful when navigating the complicated life of a royal, since every time you fail convince a princess you have a REALLY legit reason not to marry her, the suspicion meter goes up. If it fills up completely, you're faced with a gameplay challenge, and you have to convince everyone that you really actually like girls but just haven't found the right one yet!
Being closeted may be taxing, but there's always a silver lining: you can try to pass gay-friendly laws, and make the situation easier for yourself and your subjects who face the same issues.
We're making a funny game with a gay protagonist, but the idea is not to make fun of gay people, it's about pointing out absurd situations sexual minorities have to face in their daily life through humor. Our team mostly consists of people who are a part of some sexual minority, and our core values include diversity and acceptance.
You can see our values in how we're creating our characters, for example. The princesses and princes are randomized from a selection of body types, skin tones and different outfits. They also come from different fantasy kingdoms that are inspired by fairytales and different cultures.
So, where is all this sweet sweet money going to?
Well, first of all, our crowdfunding goal is not our whole budget. The project manager, Salli Loikkanen, is investing 3000 euros of her own personal savings - so it's 5500 dollars from you, our generous and awesome backers, and at least 3000 euros from the developers. In addition to these, we're applying for project funding of about 2000-5000 euros from our local entrepreneurship society. Having done a successful crowdfunding campaign would certainly help us secure the grant! ;)
The money that we DO get from Kickstarter won't be used to pay us salary; all of the original team members are working for free and relying on savings or student benefits to survive. Basically, the whole project is fueled by instant noodles - on the same day this text was written, one of our teammates ordered 40€ worth of instant noodles from Amazon Germany (they had free shipping!).
The downside of free student labor is having no full-time employees, so progress is slower. That's why we want to bring in some talented freelancers to help us out! Sadly, they won't take noodles for payment, so here we are, asking strangers for money!
20% for taxes may seem like a lot, and it is, but we want to be honest here. We don't want to go to prison (I don't think we'd survive a day with our noodly nerd limbs), so we have to pay our taxes. Damn you, EU!"
Kickstarter is providing us with this awesome platform for crowdfunding, so they deserve their cut… also, they handle the money, so we don't really have a say here!
We're offering you guys some pretty rad rewards. In fact, they're so rad that they cost actual real cash money to produce. Also, we need some wiggle room in the budget, because you really never know when the urge to wiggle uncontrollably will strike. Or when unforeseen costs appear.
We know - nobody likes ads. But hear us out - we're all working on this game for free, and the only money we get is from the sales of the released game. It's a proven fact that marketing has a huge impact on sales. Get the picture? By helping us with marketing, you're helping us to get paid for our hard work. In addition to marketing costs, we need to pay an accountant who'll make sure we don't accidentally commit tax fraud.
We have a great writer in our team, but let's face it: this project is too big for us to handle alone. That's why we're paying two experienced writers to help us out - less stress for us, and more quality content for you!
Our artist are hardworking and talented, but they're all busy game design students as well. It's probably physically impossible for them to work any harder. Since none of us have access to a cloning device or a time travel machine, we'll need to bring another artist on board.
Receiving your rewards is easy: Just fill out a small survey and we'll send your rewards to you via email! Just... remember the survey, it's super duper important because you can't receive your rewards without filling it!
• 3$ A heartfelt thank you message from us and digital wallpapers to give your desktop a more royal vibe! You'll also be credited as a backer in the game's credits. /Includes: Thank You message, Digital Wallpapers, Name in credits/
• 7$ Full game: Early Bird. SOLD OUT Thank you!
• 10$ The full game - We'll send you a digital key to redeem the finished game on Steam* or Itch.io. *if we make it in /Includes: Thank You message, Digital Wallpapers, Name in credits, Digital copy of the game/
• 15$ Soundtrack - Our digital soundtrack to make your day a little bit more fabulous! /Includes: Thank You message, Digital Wallpapers, Name in credits, Digital copy of the game, Soundtrack/
• 20$ Buddy pack: Early Bird SOLD OUT Thank you!
• 25$ Buddy pack - For you and your friend, spouse, partner in crime or perhaps your pet lizard. Includes two copies of the game and two copies of the digital soundtrack. /Includes: Thank You message, Digital Wallpapers, Name in credits, 2x Digital copy of the game, 2x Soundtrack/
• 30$ Art book - A digital art book with super secret concept art that hasn't been revealed outside our little secret society of devs before, ingame illustrations and developer commentary! /Includes: Thank You message, Digital wäWallpapers, Name in credits, Digital copy of the game, Soundtrack, Art book/
• 38$ Buddy 4-pack: Early Bird - For you and your crew! You get 4 copies of the game to share with your friends or loyal subjects, and 4 digital soundtracks to top it off! /Includes: Thank You message, Digital Wallpapers, Name in credits, 4x Digital copy of the game, 4x Soundtrack/
• 45$ Buddy 4-pack - For you and your crew! You get 4 copies of the game to share with your friends or loyal subjects, and 4 digital soundtracks to top it off! /Includes: Thank You message, Digital Wallpapers, Name in credits, 4x Digital copy of the game, 4x Soundtrack/
• 75$ Physical deluxe package - Get a physical copy of the game packaged in a high-quality case, a very royal mini-poster, a small game booklet, a sticker set, some original, one-of-a-kind Your Royal Gayness sketches from our talented team members and a personalized "Thank You" letter from the team. /Includes: Thank You message, Digital Wallpapers, Name in credits, Digital copy of the game, Soundtrack, Art book, Physical copy of the game, Mini poster, Game booklet, Sticker set, Original sketches, Thank you letter/
• 100$ Name a character - Your name or a name of your choosing will be added to the game, and can appear as a character name for a randomized princess or prince (you choose which). We moderate the names to an extent; profanities etc. are out of the question. /Includes: Thank You message, Digital Wallpapers, Name in credits, Digital copy of the game, Soundtrack, Art book, Name a character/
• 250$ Character designer - Have you always wanted to be a prince or a princess? We'll create a custom character based on a picture provided by you (either a photo or a drawing of what you want) or a description of what you'd look like as royalty! You can choose a name and some personality traits for the character. This character will be coded into the game, and may even be romanceable (or rejectable, if it's a princess) if you wish so! (Just make sure your design could somewhat plausibly fit in a fairytale world). /Includes: Thank You message, Digital wallpapers, Name in credits, Digital copy of the game, Soundtrack, Art book, Name a character, Character design/
If stretch goals are reached, it may take a bit longer to finish the game, but on the other hand, it'll be even more awesome!
Our core team consists of Game Design students currently living in Finland, with some of us originally from places like Slovakia, Slovenia and Vietnam.
Our composer Adir van der Lugt isn't in the picture above, but deserves a special mention - thanks to him, we'll have an original soundtrack.
We're also working with some professional freelancer writers, Sydney Meeker and Sena Bryer, native english speakers from USA. An important part of our team is also Morgana Harp, who is assisting us with coding, marketing and running this campaign.
Special thanks are in order to Sam Peo, Darren Kwok, Ian Leslie and Tramy Nguyen for helping us out.
Risks and challenges
Since most of the team works part-time, there is a risk of the project getting delayed a bit. However, we've managed well so far, and we know how fast we can work. We promise to release the game at some point - only a full-blown apocalypse scenario would stop us from developing the game.
However, we do need the funds from Kickstarter to make the game that we're thinking of. If we don't reach our goal, we'll try to finish the game somehow, but we'd have to cut basically all of the features we've been planning. It wouldn't be the same game.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)