About this project
Why support Limeade?
Help us push the boundaries of portable battery technology. Other, lower capacity batteries currently found on the market, are just another thing you have to remember to charge. The Limeade Blast 18000mAh provides enough juice to charge an iPhone 5 twelve times without having to recharge the external battery.
Until now, super high capacity battery packs were too bulky and heavy to be of much use. Each battery in the Limeade Blast series packs a ton of power in a sleek and compact form. Ranging in weight from 11 to 13 ounces, the Blast can easily slip into a backpack, purse, or pocket without weighing you down.
Current external batteries on the market use standard 1A inputs. Limeade Blast external batteries feature a 2A (industry first!) input meaning the L180X (18000mAh) can be charged in as little as eleven hours.
Although the L180X (18000mAh) battery is our most innovative product, we also developed two additional sizes- the L130X (13000mAh) and L156X (15600mAh).
Because the Limeade Blast charges devices anywhere, anytime and won’t be drained after just a couple uses, it is the perfect portable external battery for a variety of situations.
- Families: Charges two devices at once so everyone stays happy.
- Camping, fishing, hiking, mountain biking or skiing: Slip the Blast into your pack and charge your device while on the trail.
- Commuters: Juice up all your devices while on the bus or train. Keep your phone going so you never miss an important call.
- Vacations and International Travel: Instead of lugging around a bunch of adapters and converters, use the Limeade Blast to charge your devices. Keep devices going while on the plane.
- Emergency Preparedness Kits: The Blast retains its charge for up to one year, so it’s a dependable power supply when you need it most.
- Everyday Use: Top off your device and always stay charged!
* Input charging time depends on charger output speed. A 2A charger will speed charge the L130X in 8 hours while a 1A charger will take up to 13 hours.
Number of times the 18000mAh Blast will charge your device:
Number of charges depends on the mAh of the device being charged. Divide 18000 by the mAh of your device.
- Apple iPhone 4 or 5: ~12.5 times
- Samsung Galaxy S III: ~8 times
- Samsung Galaxy Note: ~7 times
- Amazon Kindle Fire: ~4 times
- Apple iPad 1 or 2: ~2 times
- Google Nexus 4: ~8.5 times
- Google Nexus 10: ~2 times
- Sony PSP: ~11 times
- Apple iPod Nano: ~171 times
Each reward includes one Limeade Blast External Battery Pack* and our 2-in-1 micro USB to 30-pin Apple adapter cable. The micro USB adapter plugs directly into the 30-pin adapter. If you do not have an Apple device, the 30-pin adapter can be completely removed. Plug the cable into the Limeade Blast external battery and connect the correct adapter to your device. The 2.5 feet (0.8m) cable can be used to charge the external battery (using the micro USB adapter) or, use your own micro USB cable.
4.2A USB Wall Charger (optional)
The Limeade 4.2A (2.1A + 2.1A) 21 watts USB wall charger has two output ports, perfect for rapidly charging the Limeade Blast external battery. This charger will also quickly charge any two phones, tablets, a phone and a tablet and many other mobile devices. Features a collapsible electric plug. Fully compatible with 100V-240V wall outlets. Measures 50 x 50 x 29mm (1.9 x 1.9 x 1.1in).
*Included Limeade Blast battery capacity differs depending on reward. Please read each reward for details.
Connect with Limeade
Feel free to ask us any questions and share your Limeade experience with us. We'll post news and updates too!
From the very beginning (November 2012), Limeade was founded with the intention to challenge the status quo of battery technology and push past the boundaries in the established marketplace. When we decided to create an external battery of our own, we identified several features that we felt we could improve upon.
We wanted higher capacity and a faster charge in a smaller size, and we knew that to force change in a stagnant industry we would have to find a manufacturer willing to partner with us to develop innovative technology solutions that they did not yet possess. After extensive research, many phone calls, Skype chats, meetings and negotiations we were able to find a partner with a similar vision for exploring the future of mobile power.
In the early stages, we focused on finding an attractive look for our battery. Due to the enormous capacity we set as our goal for the Limeade Blast, we needed to find a shape that would utilize every square inch.
We also started working with an engineering company to design an IC board that could safely charge the battery with a 2A input and began the hunt for the highest quality lithium-ion batteries for use in the Blast.
Our original samples were created with the goal of demonstrating that the 2A input could be a viable technology. The first IC board was bulky and our battery casing was larger to accommodate it. Although we were pleased, it wasn’t perfect, so we created a new custom case for the battery that would require a complete overhaul of the IC board to fit the smaller form factor.
After months of discussions and further refinement we were able to condense the internal circuitry resulting in a more compact version of the Blast. Our design team added the sleek tactile finish and the minimalist color profile to the elegant case that now defines our look.
In the last several weeks, we have continued to refine the product adding features like the auto-on, auto-off and changing the LED indicators from blue to green at the request of our design team.
It has now been more than six months since we embarked on this journey, and we are finally satisfied that the product we developed is a truly innovative contribution to the growth of energy technology. With your support, we will be able to share this technology with you and every other mobile device user on the planet.
Paul Lin: Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer- Paul has been an entrepreneur since 2001. He's a tech enthusiast and early technology adopter. As the head of Limeade, he manages the company's strategic vision.
Melissa Lau: Co-Founder and Chief Operations Officer- Melissa keeps Limeade running smoothly by managing the daily operations.
Todd Allenson: Product Manager- Todd is in charge of procurement and maintains relationships with our supply partners.
Liz Wise: Creative Director- Liz is responsible for brand presentation, marketing materials, product design consistency and managing website and graphic design.
Aram Hobday: Logistics Manager- As head of logistics, Aram manages movement of goods and supplies and maintains our relationship with shipping partners.
Spencer Monson: Associate Project Manager- Spencer manages special projects, analyzes industry trends, supports marketing content and maintains media relations.
Michelle Whitman: Director of Graphic Design- Michelle manages the creation of graphic material in both digital and print media; formatting of e-marketing communications, including our website mylimeade.com.
In an effort to reduce packaging and waste, we placed the instructions directly on the box instead of printing an insert. Besides, our battery is so simple to use, you won't even need any instructions!
Prior to Kickstarter launch (November 2012 - April 2013)
- Market research
- Established manufacturing partners in China
- Completed IC board design and testing with engineering company
- Grade A lithium battery selection with battery manufacturer
- Mold (shell) design and fabrication, testing of rubber finish
- FCC, CE, and ROHS certification
- General product testing by Limeade team
- Logo design and silkscreen production
- Packaging design
- Website content and design
- Ensure proper regulations are met for air transportation
During Kickstarter campaign (May 2013)
- Raw materials procurement
- Production planning
- Obtain packaging materials for air shipment
- Work with FedEx on importation process into U.S.
- FedEx to work with manufacturer to ensure safe shipment of lithium-ion batteries
- Manufacturing of the Limeade Blast (takes about 10 business days)
- Product inspection by third party company at manufacturer
- Pre-shipment inspection by Fedex at manufacturer
- FedEx Express product pickup in China and air transport delivery to Limeade warehouse (air freight takes 5-7 days, compared to ocean freight which may take as long as 45 days )
- Shipment of Limeade Blast rewards to our donors (late June)
Risks and challenges
The raw materials for the Limeade Blast have been pre-procured. This means that our suppliers and manufacturers have ensured us that there will be plenty of parts to manufacture our battery packs. Production capability can be as high as 1,000 pieces/day. We can procure in a week enough parts to manufacture 25,000 pieces. Our materials are of the highest grade, we don't foresee any issues. It is certainly possible for there to be manufacturing delays - a part doesn't fit properly, parts not arriving on time for the assembly line, etc. If any issues arise, we will communicate it with you.
We plan to use FedEx Express to ship via air from China to three fulfillment centers located in AZ, PA, and SC. Once the products arrive, we will do another inspection to guarantee that the products are in perfect condition during air transportation. Our warehouses will then ship via the most efficient/quickest method to our donors. When a product travels more than 10,000 miles to reach its destination, it's bound to have some shipping issues. We strive to have a quick response time, 1 business day to alleviate any problems. You can email us at email@example.com.
The U.S. Customs has the responsibility to clear all products imported into the U.S. We will work with FedEx, our customs broker to make sure that our products are not held up. We will let you know if there's any delay.
Support this project
- (28 days)