It all started when we were cooking dinner at home, and needed to top off our dish with some basil. We went over to our basil plant and realised that we'd forgotten to water it, again. And it had died. Again.
We decided to build something that would need zero maintenance to grow organic herbs at home.
- Everything you need - With our garden kits, there are no hidden purchases. Take the kit out of the box, add water, and start growing. We've even pre-planted the seeds for you.
- Automatic watering - The self-watering system in our gardens is perfectly timed to make sure your seeds get the amount of water they need. Built for busy people, our gardens can survive for up to three weeks with no attention from you.
- Convenient reminders - When it is time to change the water (about once every three weeks) your garden will flash a light as a reminder.
Our first version was made at home out of recycled plastic bottles and quite a bit of duct tape. It worked well, but wasn't very pretty to look at.
Next we took the idea to a couple of designers who teach at the Royal College of Art. Over months we worked with them to find a design that would look beautiful in a tiny London flat. With our new design, you'll want to show it off.
- Designed by the best - Our indoor garden kits were designed by a team of professors from the Royal College of Art to look gorgeous inside of a London flat.
- Perfect size - We built our garden kits to fit snugly inside of a London kitchen. Put yours on the window sill, and enjoy a continual supply of fresh herbs.
- Customised seeds - Add some nature to your home. Choose from a selection of herbs to find the combo that best matches your cooking style.
Finally, we had to make sure that it worked. We made a series of prototypes and learned how to program the pump so that your plants get exactly the right amount of water. Now you can have healthy herbs, whenever you need them.
- Organic - All of our seeds are certified organic. Of course.
- Fresh - How 'fresh' is something that comes out of a plastic bag? Our cooking herbs are the definition of fresh - cut the leaves yourself, and taste the difference.
- Exactly the right amount - How many times have you bought a pack of fresh herbs, only to use a tiny bit and chuck the rest? Our garden reduces the waste by delivering only the amount you need.
Our goal is to deliver on our promise to get the highest quality indoor gardens in your hands as soon as possible. Even though Thomas has experience managing global supply chains, we have decided to base our entire production and supply chain systems in the UK for this first batch of units. This will enable us to both maximise our ability to oversee operations and minimise the lag time in getting the gardens to you. Eliminating cross-country shipping, customs and forwarding has enabled us to reduce the production time by over a month!
The external and internal structures of the gardens are being manufactured using 3D printing technology. If these structures are the bones, then arguably the brains of our system are the electronics and the heart the organic seeds and growing medium. Nirosh has been working flat out to optimise the programme to run the units as efficiently as possible - this will be rolled out in the in-built controllers that power every unit. All components will be purchased from certified UK companies with each unit hand programmed, assembled and tested by our team in London.
We'll ship the gardens as they're assembled, and expect to be able to ship the domestic (UK) orders to arrive from late August, and international orders to arrive in September. We'll be sure to keep you updated throughout the process.
Risks and challenges
We've spent most of the last year working with our partners to mitigate as many risks as possible, yet we know there will still be hurdles along the way. We will always be transparent with our community about challenges, including these:
Ship date: We have built in extra time for the manufacturing process and are confident we will ship by the projected dates, but there is always a chance that things will take longer than planned.
Product changes: As we refine the carafe based on additional community feedback and more product testing, slight changes may be made. We'll only make changes that enhance the product experience.
Supplier coordination: We work with a variety of suppliers to source the best materials and ensure the product is developed correctly. Each supplier has its own challenges, which may affect its partners, including us.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (27 days)