About this project
Seven Years Ago...
"Brave Men Run -- A Novel of the Sovereign Era" was the first novel simultaneously released in paperback, five DRM-free e-book formats, and as one of the first "podcast novels." Over 30,000 fans embraced the Parsec Award-nominated book! I published two stand-alone short stories and a multi-author anthology set in the Sovereign Era... and all along, readers clamored for more adventures featuring Nate Charters, Lina Porter, Byron Teslowski and the rest of the gang from "Brave Men Run."
"Brave Men Run" introduced eighties teen Nate Charters and his struggle with the mystery of his own identity in a world where super-powered individuals are abruptly revealed. Having told the story I wanted to tell, I didn't have a firm idea of another meaningful tale I could tell about Nate.
The Next Nate Charters Novel!
In "Pilgrimage -- A Novel of the Sovereign Era," it's 1986, a year after the events of "Brave Men Run." Nate Charters is very nearly a household name thanks to the ongoing, headline-grabbing legal struggle between his family, the multinational Prentice-Cambrian corporation, the parents of Nate's friend (and Sovereign) Byron, and the Sovereign nation itself.
Nate learned the truth of his origins a year ago... but knowing what you are is not the same as knowing who you are.
A revelation about his girlfriend, Lina, and the machinations of a shadowy conspiracy will force Nate to solve that puzzle before his life -- and the super-powered Sovereign community -- is irreversibly torn to pieces.
"Pilgrimage" will be told in the familiar first-person voice of sixteen year old Nate Charters, as well as in third-person sections from a variety of other characters.
Help Me Make This "Pilgrimage!"
I need your help to raise the funds necessary to write, edit, produce, publish and distribute "Pilgrimage -- A Novel of the Sovereign Era." I've set the goal of this campaign at $5,000.00 to finance a professional edit of the manuscript, professional cover art by "The Mongoliad" artist Neal Von Flue, and publication / distribution costs of a paperback and e-book editions.
As is customary with Kickstarter pledge drives, I've put together eleven pledge reward levels, with key levels named after the Sovereign Ability Classes defined by the Donner Institute for Sovereign Studies and the United States of America Department of Defense:
1. LATENT SOVEREIGN: Donate $1.00 and have the satisfaction of being a patron of this campaign with access to project updates.
2. Donate $5.00 and see your name in a list of supporters featured in the afterword of the book. As a supporter, you also have access to updates on the project.
3. NOMINAL SOVEREIGN: Donate $10.00 and receive an e-book bundle of "Pilgrimage - A Novel of the Sovereign Era" featuring DRM-free epub and mobi formats, plus your name in the list of supporters featured in the afterword of the book, and access to updates on the project.
4. For a $15.00 donation, you receive the e-book bundle as in the Nominal Sovereign level... with a personalized autograph built into the epub and mobi files! Also includes your name in the list of supporters featured in the afterword of the book, and access to updates on the project.
5. STANDARD SOVEREIGN: For $25.00, you receive one personalized autographed paperback copy of "Pilgrimage -- A Novel of the Sovereign Era," the personalized, autographed e-book bundle as above, your name in the list of supporters featured in the afterword of the book, and access to updates.
6. For $50.00, you get a brand new Sovereign Era short story e-book by "The Sovereign Era: Year One" contributing author P.G. Holyfield -- a sequel to "Every Breath You Take" -- plus the personalized, autographed e-book bundle, paperback book w/ personalized autograph, listing as a supporter in the afterword in the book, and access to updates.
7. I'll give a character in a future Sovereign Era short story your name, plus you get the personalized, autographed e-book bundle, paperback book w/ personalized autograph, listing as a supporter in the afterword in the book, and access to updates as above, all for a $50.00 pledge.
8. For $100.00, you'll see your name listed alphabetically in the Acknowledgments section in the front of the book and on a special Patrons page on my website (with a link to your own site if you have one!) Plus the personalized, autographed e-book bundle, paperback book w/ personalized autograph, and access to updates, all as above.
9. EXCEPTIONAL SOVEREIGN: A $200.00 pledge gets you an autographed, numbered page from the original, hand-edited, first draft manuscript of "Pilgrimage -- A Novel of the Sovereign Era," plus everything in the $100 pledge level. Only 100 Exceptional Sovereign will be accepted!
10. You know, I'm not just a writer... I'm also a sought-after provider of creative services. $500.00 gets you up to eight hours of free, personal e-mail, phone or video consultation on anything Matt can help you with: writing, social media, podcasting, websites and WordPress, interactive marketing and brand building, and so on. Also includes everything in the $100 pledge level. Limited to 25 pledges!
11. TITAN SOVEREIGN: Come to think of it, you know what? I'm a musician, too! A $1,000.00 pledge from you brings you me in a personal house concert and reading (In person within 100 miles of Long Beach, California; via private HD video stream if outside of that range) AND everything in the $100 level. There can only be 10 Titan Sovereigns!
12. Break bread with me! For $2,000.00, I'll come to your town and have dinner with you (contiguous United States only), plus you'll get a listing in the Dedication section in "Pilgrimage -- A Novel of the Sovereign Era," a personalized autographed copy of the paperback, the personalized, autographed e-book bundle, listing in the Patrons section of Matt's website, and access to updates. I'll be having dinner with no more than five contributors.
13. PARAMOUNT SOVEREIGN: Just as there is only one known Paramount-class Sovereign in the Sovereign Era universe (William Karl Donner), there can only be one $10,000.00 contributor. In return for your nigh-unbelievable generosity and support, you will receive a copy of every creative work I author for the rest of my life or yours (whichever comes first!), autographed when appropriate, starting with the personalized, autographed e-book bundle and personalized autographed paperback copy of the book, plus your name in the Dedication section of the book and a special "Paramount Patron" listing on Matt's website with a link to your site if applicable, and, of course, access to updates on the project.
Going Beyond The Goal
When asked, most of the fans of "Brave Men Run" said they'd support a Kickstarter campaign to finance a new Sovereign Era novel. It's my sincere hope folks will come through and make good on that pledge of intent so I'll get to write this book.
Assuming just two hundred people pledge at the $25.00 "Standard Sovereign" level, the campaign goal of $5,000.00 will be met.
What happens if your pledges exceed that goal?
GOAL + $1,000.00 -- I'll record and produce a free, abridged podcast version of "Pilgrimage."
GOAL + $1,200.00 -- I'll publish a new, revised and expanded edition of "Brave Men Run -- A Novel of the Sovereign Era" in Paperback and E-book formats with a brand new cover, and give supporters of this Kickstarter campaign the opportunity to order personalized autographed copies of the paperback at 50% off the retail price.
GOAL + $2,000.00 -- I'll record and produce an unabridged audiobook version of "Pilgrimage" and give supporters of this Kickstarter campaign 50% off the price of the digital download edition.
GOAL + $5,000.00 -- I'll edit, produce and publish a new anthology of Sovereign Era short stories: "The Sovereign Era: International." Supporters of this Kickstarter campaign will have the opportunity to order copies of the paperback at a discount.
GOAL + $7,000.00 -- I'll record and produce an unabridged audiobook version of "The Sovereign Era: International."
GOAL + $10,000.00 -- I'll commit to writing, producing, publishing and distributing a third Sovereign Era novel in 2013: "Paramount," featuring the origin of the self-proclaimed leader of the Sovereign, William Karl Donner, and revealing many of the secrets of the Sovereign Era universe. Supporters of this Kickstarter campaign will have the opportunity to order personalized autographed copies of the paperback at 50% off the retail price.
Haven't Read "Brave Men Run -- A Novel of the Sovereign Era?"
"Pilgrimage -- A Novel of the Sovereign Era" doesn't require that you've read the first Sovereign Era book, "Brave Men Run." "Pilgrimage" is intended to be a stand-alone novel with plenty to gently fill you in on what's gone before.
If you'd like to experience "Brave Men Run -- A Novel of the Sovereign Era" -- especially if it will help sway you to support the Kickstarter campaign to create "Pilgrimage" -- you can purchase e-book editions directly from me or through Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble, or Kobo.
For those of you who took advantage of the offer to get a free copy of the e-book during the first half of the campaign -- thanks! I'll be in touch before the campaign is over to check in on how you liked it... and to ask you to please pledge to fund "Pilgrimage -- A Novel of the Sovereign Era!"
THANK YOU FOR HELPING MAKE "PILGRIMAGE" A REALITY!
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (30 days)