Welcome to Muv-Luv. Read on for more info about this Visual Novel and our campaign to bring it to the West!
Penned by the successful author of Kimi ga Nozumu Eien (well-known as Rumbling Hearts or “Kiminozo”), Koki Yoshimune, the Muv-Luv series started as a high school romance Visual Novel game in 2003 but quickly evolved into an epic science fiction based saga featuring an alternate world, giant aliens, mecha robots, and a complex cast of characters.
Selling more than half a million units since release in Japan alone, The Muv-Luv series has successfully made the transition to anime and manga, even spawning the “Moe Military” trend which is still raging in Japan. With over 3 million individual figurines, robot hobby models, and anime/manga sold; Muv-Luv is a force to be reckoned with and has influenced a huge number of individuals all over the world including prominent artists and creators!
This Kickstarter will focus on the localization and PC/Steam release of the first two titles in the series: Muv-Luv and Muv-Luv Alternative.
The first game contains parts one and two of the trilogy: Muv-Luv【Extra】 and Muv-Luv【Unlimited】.
Shirogane Takeru was living a peaceful life as a 3rd year high school student with his childhood friend Kagami Sumika. However, one morning Takeru awakens to see a mysterious girl named Mitsurugi Meiya sleeping in his bed.
Thus begins the start of a high school love comedy where Takeru will have to choose between his childhood friend and the girl insisting they are bonded by fate.
Note: Despite the "Extra" in the title, this is the start of the trilogy. Read it first!
Shirogane Takeru finds himself stuck in a parallel world where mankind is on the brink of extinction after battling against alien invaders known as the BETA for the last 20 years.
Takeru soon finds himself enrolled into the United Nations 11th Force to fight these aliens. In this strange world he finds parallel versions of all of his high school friends, with one exception: Kagami Sumika, who does not seem to exist.
Soon he will have to fight to save mankind and protect the girl he comes to love over the course of the story.
Muv-Luv Alternative (2006)
The second Muv-Luv game is a direct sequel to Muv-Luv Unlimited and the conclusion to the Muv-Luv trilogy. One of the most highly acclaimed Visual Novels of all time, Muv-Luv Alternative is the #1-ranked Visual Novel on VNDB.
Three years after witnessing the tragic exodus of mankind, Takeru wakes up believing that everything that had happened was just a dream.
The brief hope that he has at last come back to his world is dashed away as soon as he discovers that he is once more trapped in the parallel world of Unlimited.
Restarting on that fateful day he first came here, will Takeru manage to use his knowledge of previous events to change mankind’s tragic future?
We (Degica) will be working directly with the original production company, âge-soft, and creator, Koki Yoshimune, to finally bring Muv-Luv to the world. This version will be extensively updated and contain brand-new content and extras for the fans.
We're planning on releasing Muv-Luv Extra and Unlimited in March of 2016, followed by Muv-Luv Alternative in Summer 2016.
With more than 2.7 million Japanese characters, the Muv-Luv series is a huge project to translate.
We're assembling a joint task force to tackle this. A mix of dedicated fan translators and professional translators from Japan will work directly with the creators of Muv-Luv series to ensure the highest quality translation for this release.
Kickstarter allows us to connect directly with the fans (that's you!). With this approach, you get a lot more insight (and input) into what goes into this project. The English Muv-Luv fanbase is the reason this whole project came about so it only made sense to involve you as much as possible in the project.
Our main focus is to provide a polished, high quality, English release of Muv-Luv (Extra and Unlimited) and Muv-Luv Alternative for the PC. This will include:
- The latest and most up-to-date HD graphics available. We'll be using assets not only from the PS3 version of Muv-Luv (Extra + Unlimited) and Muv-Luv Alternative (including Takeru's voice) but updated stuff directly from âge-soft.
- An updated game engine to ensure full compatibility with Windows 7, 8, and 10. (The current version only supports Win XP and 7)
- Updated User Interface, Options, and Menus. Additional enhanced functions never before seen in any version of Muv-Luv (Extra + Unlimited) and Muv-Luv Alternative.
Based on fan feedback we've put together a few stretch goals for the improvement of the trilogy. Check them out below :)
- Additional OSTs and BGMs
- Minor voice acting improvements of some scenes with English voices. The voices can be switched back to original under options.
- Special unlockable content
- All Original/New content to be specified
- Android and PS VITA port for the Muv-Luv trilogy. Experience the epic saga on the go!
- With everyone's efforts in unlocking the goal, people who have pledged 150$ and above can choose one port digital copy for free!
- A digital lore browser with content from Lunatic Dawn and Integral Works in English.
- An official guide to the Muv-luv world put together by the Muv-Luv team with never before seen content including images, lore, backstories, and more!
- With everyone's efforts in unlocking the goal, it will be available for free for people pledging for the campaign 150$ and above!
- English Localization and Windows port of the PS3 Exclusive Muv-Luv side stories collection.
- View the FAQ for more details about Collection contents!
- With everyone's efforts in unlocking the goal, both games will be available for free for people pledging for the campaign 150$ and above!
- An all-digital $125 reward tier will be added when we reach the Photons stretch goal! Backers can get all $150 bonus digital goods including the digital artbook! You will still need to choose between digital Android or Vita.
- The objective of this mission is to eliminate the enemy BETA hive and all obstacles which has been preventing us from making the physical Muv-Luv Alternative CODEX a reality!
- Width: 21 cm
- Height: 29.7 cm
- Hard cover artbook with 400-500 glossy full color pages!
- Contains contents from Integral Works and Lunatic Dawn Anthology 1-3.
- All $300 tiers and above will now have a physical CODEX for free!
- There will be a new $220 tier - a physical box of your choice plus the CODEX.
- There will be a new $80 add-on for the physical CODEX.
- And last but not least, as a reward for everyone's efforts, we will be adding a bonus, limited edition Sumika Figma to every Collector's Box $150 tiers and above!
Before launching this Kickstarter we reached out to the existing Muv-Luv fanbase to see what they wanted. The items offered below are a representation of all the feedback we received:
Our friends at Tokyo Otaku Mode have been sending high quality goods from Japan for years. They're going to be helping us ensure that your order arrives on time and is packaged very nicely :)
Over the years, the Muv-Luv series has gained an incredible following outside of Japan. It's because of this support and interest that we are here today working on this project.
The entire team couldn't be more grateful to all of you for your continued support and enthusiasm for the Muv-Luv Series!
One last thing! To help spread the word about this Kickstarter we have set up a contest/giveaway. The grand prize (generously donated) is an all-expenses paid trip to Japan for two! You can get all of the details here.
Risks and challenges
This is a big project. There are lots of moving pieces and something could always go wrong or slow things down. We think that we've assembled a pretty good team to tackle this. By working with the original production company and creator as well as fans of the series, we're committed to delivering a high quality, finished product, in a timely manner to all of you. We're going to be as transparent as possible with updates as we progress and if anything does go wrong/get slowed down we'll let you know right away.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (40 days)