Doing things changes things. Let’s put the viral power of social games on artist Facebook pages and change indie music discovery.
Supporting this project will help indie artists get their own “Candy Crush” kind of Facebook music game that fans will love playing and sharing with AN AVERAGE OF 500 Facebook friends.*
Everyone knows that Facebook is the primary social network used by indie artists to promote their music. And everyone knows that Facebook is THE network for social gamers with over 250 million playing and sharing with an average of 500 Friends.* So what if we could bring these two Facebook communities together to benefit both? What if your favorite indie artist could have their own music game on their Facebook page? A game that would:
- Let fans “play” the artist’s songs in the artist’s game at the artist’s Facebook page
- Reward fans for returning to the artist’s page to play the artist's game
- Reward fans for inviting friends to LIKE the artist’s page and play the artist’s game
- Automatically promote the artist’s music to an AVERAGE OF 500 friends of these gamers; and
- Share revenues from game content fans decide to purchase
We think this would be awesome, because it would give indie artists their own game that combines the personal power of their music with the global power of social games to create a game-based indie artist discovery platform on Facebook.
But is all this really doable for just $20K? Well, not really. But we have a plan, a great one!
We are Music Powered Games, the developer of the Music Monsters rhythm game available on the App Store. We are going to use our own funds to bring the core Music Monsters game to artist Facebook pages as described below. The $20K we raise with this Kickstarter project will allow us to create the custom branded artist games for the first 200 indie artists. So your backing of our project will primarily benefit an indie artist – and we encourage you tell us which artist you want to help sponsor. If your generosity exceeds our $20K goal, we’ll use the extra funds to build games for even more artists – another artist for every $100 over our goal.
So really, our project is a collection of hundreds of mini-projects, where fans can sponsor their favorite indie artists or artists can sponsor themselves.
Building On A Proven Platform. We’ll start with our Music Monsters mobile game that is now available on the App Store for the iPhone4/5 and the iPad2. Music Monsters is a mobile lyric rhythm game that is also an indie music discovery platform with over 160 songs from 90 indie artists as well as major label artists including Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Fall Out Boy, Flo Rida, Cher Lloyd, Train, Hunter Hayes, and more.
This trailer video show examples of the gameplay for several songs from indie artists played at different locations on the Music Monsters Academy campus. You can download the free game at https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/music-monsters/id537416059 and see for yourself how the mobile version of Music Monsters combines great music from mainstream and indie artists with super fun lyric rhythm gameplay.
Adding Music Monsters To Artist Facebook Pages. We will adapt Music Monsters to create a similar gameplay experience on Facebook focused on helping indie artists promote their music. In a manner similar to music player apps on artist pages, each artist's game will play only their song(s) at their Facebook page. Specifically, we will:
Create a custom branded version of the game for each artist’s Facebook page that:
- Plays in a new tab on the artist’s page
- Uses the artist’s promo image to brand the game launch/home screen
- Plays clips of only the artist’s song(s) on the artist’s page
Give the artist’s fans a fun new way to experience the artist’s music
- Lyric-based gameplay that let's fans "Play and Learn"
- Progression of 40 game levels
- Multiple Academy campus locations and lyric scrolling modes
Leverage Facebook social game features including Requests, Feed Stories, and Open Graph Stories so that fans help promote the artist simply by playing the game
- Send automatic news feed posts when someone
- Plays a song for the first time
- Beats a level
- Achieves new best score on a level
- Catches 100% of lyrics on a level
- Progresses their monster to a new Academy Degree
- Unlocks a new monster or Academy Campus location
- Wins a Challenge from a Friend
- Encourage fans to invite their friends to play the artist’s game and then reward them with game coins for each referral that plays
- Let fans challenge friends to beat their score and reward winners with game coins. This extends the single-player song-based game into a multi-player turn-based game.
And finally, as an added bonus, we will create a new game-based revenue stream for the artists. When artists fans play the game, they can purchase bags of game coins for $0.99, $1.99, and $4.99 and then use coins to purchase new game content and features such as
- Power-ups - Shields, magic spells, and monsters powers
- New Play Modes such as Pong, Mines, Fireworks, Super Balls, Coaster Rails, Pinball, and Monster-nado
- Monsters – Fuzzball, Dino, Shark, Robot, Troll, and more
- Campus Locations such as Food Park, Monster Spa, Monument Park, Planetarium, Monster Quad, and more
We will pay each artist a 25% comission on all purchases made the artist's fans.
Project Rewards. We appreciate your backing and want to reward you for it. Depending on your level of support, you'll receive:
- Game coins to spend on more monsters and levels in the Facebook game
- A cheat code to unlock exclusive Kickstarter Backer Content in the Facebook game (new monster and new level)
- A cheat code to unlock premium content in the free mobile iOS game, and
- The opportunity to sponsor your favorite indie artist so they can have their own Music Monsters game for their Facebook page
Four people will get to design and name a new monster.
Schedule. Our internally funded port of the Music Monsters game to Facebook will be completed by November 1, 2013. This initial release will include at least 50 songs from the pop, rock, alternative, urban, electronica, and country genres playing at the Facebook pages of 50 great indie artists who currently have songs in the mobile game.
With this release on November 1, we will deliver all the game coins and cheat codes for Rewards #1 and #2. For Rewards #3 and above, we will deliver the games for the artists' you designate no later than December 31, 2013. the MUSIC MOGUL rewards will be delivered one month later.
* Marketing Charts article reveals that FB users ages 12-24 average over 500 friends http://bit.ly/164r7gS
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Our port of the core Music Monsters game to Facebook has minimal risk. The game is developed in the Unity engine which make it easy to publish versions on various platforms and operating systems. Plus, we've already integrated many of the Facebook Open Graph features into the mobile game. However, we are a small team, so let's hope none of us gets hit by a truck.
There may be some issues with the music from artists that backers want to designate. The artists must own or control all the rights to both the recording and the composition of the song, so that we can create the game level for the song without violating any third party's rights. For example, we could not do a game level for an artist's cover of a popular song, as this would require the publisher of that song to grant us a synch license to do so. If the artist does not control the song rights, we will ask the Backer to designate another artist.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.