We are a group of friends that came together in Nepal while trekking to Everest Base Camp in 2016. We had an idea to create an art book (our first!) to share with the world the beauty of Nepal and its culture as well as inspire our readers to pursue their dreams. It's been a long journey and we are excited to be finally moving into publishing and distribution stages of our project.
Our book, “Musa Masala: Mountain Girl of the Himalaya,“ tells the story of a young orphan Sherpa girl, Musa, which means mouse in Nepali. Musa finds her sense of self in the world as she journeys from her home of Namche Bazaar to the Base Camp of Mt. Everest. On the way she makes unconventional friends, learns new skills and realizes she can take control of her destiny.
The illustrations are a true work of art and we have beautiful 12in x 18in prints available as part of our backer rewards.
This book is for all ages, from school children to adults. Everyone can appreciate the gorgeous art, inspiring story line and learning interesting facts about Nepal.
And one more thing! We will donate the proceeds from the book sales to help construct the Wongchhu Sherpa Memorial Hospital. This will be the only permanent healthcare facility for all the people of the Solukhumbu region in the foothills of the Himalaya.
We are now at a critical stage, printing and getting the book out to the world! We are creating a pre-sale Kickstarter for the book to help us reach our goals.
Thank you for your support!
Mike, Tatiana, August and Julie
The funds raised from this project will go towards:
· Legal fees
· Book preview event in Kathmandu, Nepal
· Final editing and text overlay
· Printing and shipping costs
· Printing copies for sale at events
· Backer rewards
· Kickstarter fees
· Marketing to make sure other people can find this amazing book
Here is a closer look at our backer rewards!
1. "Everest" print - 12in x 18in signed limited-edition print
2. "Losar" print - 12in x 18in signed limited-edition print
3. "Musa Riding into Namche" print - - 12in x 18in signed limited-edition print
4. Altitude card - 5in x 7in original waterproof card for the mountain lovers. MusaMasala.com is an educational platform for healthy and culturally-aware mountain travel. We developed these cards to keep trekkers safe in the Himalayas and other mountains of the world.
5. Silk Prayer flags
7. "Musa Riding into Namche" postcard - 5in x 7in original postcard
Risks and challenges
This is our first publication and we are a bit nervous. We have been working with two printers, one in the U.S. and one in Nepal and so far things have been going smoothly. We will do our best to get the rewards shipped to our backers before the winter holidays begin!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)