Watch one man's journey around Iceland on a bicycle. A fun travel documentary overflowing with waterfalls, volcanoes, and flat tires. Read more
This project's funding goal was not reached on April 23, 2013.
About this project
Hi, my name is Murtza. For a long time I have been fascinated by Iceland. It is the combination of the country's remote location, natural beauty, and Viking heritage that intrigues me. This May I am packing a camera, a bicycle, along with an adventurous spirit, and traveling to Iceland, where I will film a documentary that tells the story of the country's stunning landscapes and friendly people.
"Iceland on Two Wheels" will follow my three-week journey on a bicycle around Iceland's 832-mile Ring Road, a highway that runs around the island. When I am not cycling or hiking to see waterfalls, you will see me talking with local people to understand Icelandic culture. To keep costs low while filming this documentary, I will be sleeping outdoors in a tent and be cooking my own food using a small stove. I hope to capture all of this on film.
With your help, I can make this documentary and share it with the world!
Covered in the Documentary
I plan to shoot about 20 hours of content, and edit this down to a 70-minute travel documentary about Iceland's landscapes and people. The story will follow my 832-mile bike ride around the island. Some of things you will see in the documentary:
- Brief history of Iceland.
- Attempting to learn a few basic phrases in Icelandic.
- Eating Hákarl, fermented shark.
- Interviewing local people.
- Exploring the two biggest cities in Iceland, Reykjavik and Akureyri.
- Hiking to see waterfalls and volcanoes.
- Cycling through the Icelandic countryside.
- Bathing in the Blue Lagoon.
- Flat tires.
- And more.
- 1. Reykjavík
- 2. Borgarnes
- 3. Blönduós
- 4. Akureyri
- 5. Egilsstaðir
- 6. Höfn
- 7. Selfoss
What are my qualifications for making this documentary? I have a lot of experience getting things done. For example, here is a book I wrote called "Start Importing from China" and here is a website I launched called WikiCancel. Second, I have a lot of travel experience, which makes me comfortable in foreign countries. Third, I am not afraid of trying things or approaching new people, which means you will see a lot of interesting things on the documentary.
- May 5, 2013 - I will fly to Iceland.
- May 5, 2013 to May 22, 2013 - I will start biking.
- May 25, 2013 - I will fly back to the United States.
- May 26, 2013 - June 14, 2013 - I will edit the documentary.
- June 15, 2013 - I will publish the documentary.
Please message me if there are any particular things you want to see in the documentary, and I will do my best to include them.
If you live in Iceland and I can interview you, please send me message. Alternatively, if you know somebody in Iceland who would be interested in participating in this documentary, please send their information and I will contact them.
Questions, Comments, or Advice
Please feel free to contact me with any questions, comments, or advice. You can either send me a message through Kickstarter or reach out to me using the contact information listed on my website: http://murtza.org/.
Risks and challenges
I have never biked more than ten miles in one day, so filming this documentary will be physically challenging on my body. If I survive the journey, another potential challenge is that the documentary could take longer to edit than I estimate.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Every dollar helps! I will send you a personal email thanking you for contributing to this project.Estimated delivery:
You will receive a link to download a DRM-free digital copy of the documentary.Estimated delivery:
3 backers Limited (47 left of 50)
1. You will receive a link to download a DRM-free digital copy of the documentary.
2. Your name will be in the credits of the documentary.Estimated delivery:
2 backers Limited (48 left of 50)
1. You will receive a link to download a DRM-free digital copy of the documentary. 2. Your name will be in the credits of the documentary. 3. I will send you a really awesome postcard from Iceland.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
1 backer Limited (4 left of 5)
Corporate Sponsorship: 1. Your company's name and logo will be shown at the start of the documentary. 2. Your company's name and logo will be featured on this Kickstarter page. 3. Your company's name will be mentioned as a sponsor in any press related to this Kickstarter campaign or the documentary.Estimated delivery:
- (20 days)