Thea: The Awakening- Final Push!
Thea: The Awakening- Final Push!
Slavic, Witcheresque Dark Fantasy world of Thea Awakens! Featuring Strategic-survival gameplay, story based Events & a Card Minigame!
Slavic, Witcheresque Dark Fantasy world of Thea Awakens! Featuring Strategic-survival gameplay, story based Events & a Card Minigame! Read more
About this project
LAST 24h Guys! Let's Try to Push it!
Thea: The Awakening is a strategic survival game inspired by Slavic mythology and folklore and set in a dark, post apocalyptic fantasy world.
From the dev's working on The Witcher series, we bring you a world steeped in Slavic Myth and Monstrosity. There are Strigas and Baba Yaga's aplenty, but, there are no heroes, no monster slayers, and no great armies ready to banish them for you. Just a few hopeless and starving survivors, who are desperately trying to stay alive. And you: their only true hope.
Genre: Strategy-Survival/ Dark Fantasy
Coming in 2015 to PC (Windows) DRM Free
And now, coming to Xbox One in 2016!
This campaign is our final push towards a late summer/early autumn release on PC! We are dedicated and determined to complete Thea within our schedule, but we'd like it to be even better than what it is now. There are many goals that could be reached with YOUR help. We are primarily collecting money for more Artwork, including Music, 3D models and more Event's Art. But, there are more goals that we'd love to reach - check out our Stretch Goals further down in this presentation!
There are five key elements to our gameplay: Village Management & Crafting; Resource Gathering; Card Minigame; Story Driven Events and Exploration!
• Manage your village: You will need to decide how to best use the limited resources at your disposal, both in terms of supplies and manpower. You may choose to devote more men to building a new house, but then who will go out and find the resources? Or on the flip side, if you send out too many people, will your village be safe? Thea: The Awakening will based on a Day Turn and a Night Turn and during the long nights, your village is exposed to all manners of encounters and events, including simple attacks by hungry scavengers, or a mystical plague brought on by the Night Horrors...
• Send out parties to seek out resources: Sending out scouting parties is not just a matter of choosing the direction. Many events will have different outcomes or dialogue options depending on who is in your party, so choose wisely! A wise woman may be frail and thus you risk loosing her on the road, but if you come across an unknown creature, she may be the one to save your hide!
• Enter into a unique card minigame: resolve combat, social encounters, physical challenges, disease and more! Your people become your deck as you face your challenge in the tactical card minigame, so choose your party wisely!
• Discover the many strange creatures lurking in the shadows: Yes there is an abundance of creatures, both beast and man, who will inevitably attack your parties and village, for treasure, for the kill or simply out of hunger and desperation. But, not all of your encounters must end with a fight, nor will all fights start off in an obvious way! You may meet a lost child and wonder if it's a trick, or you may meet a beast and end up talking it out... Will those flickering lights in the distance offer guidance and warmth, or will they lead you astray?
• Explore the map and discover new locations: Our maps are randomly generated, so with each playthrough you will get a whole new world to explore! There will be forgotten ruins, forlorn forests, misty swamps or hazardous mountains, where the legends say, Orcs run amok...
Our Card Minigame is designed to resolve not only Combat, but all of our Challenges and Encounters, which will include Social Encounters/Talk as well as such global events as Disease or Curses!
Promo Video Coming Soon!
Some of the Key Features & Rules include:
- You begin your hand with the number of cards equal to the selected party (selected party refers to either a party that is out in the world & comes across an event, or the villagers left in the settlement, when an event occurs there).
- The game is divided into cycles of two phases: Setup Phase and Action Phase.
- The Offense characters will have Defense and Attack stats, while the Tactical characters will have special skills. The Offense characters are basically those which end up in close combat, while those that managed to keep their distance are able to use their skills for tactical movements and such skills as 'First Strike' - which allows for the offensive cards strike the opponent right at the start of the fight phase!
- We anticipate an average of two cycles for any event. At the end of the event minigame, the player cards that were eliminated get random wounds, that can include death for that character, broken bones and sicknesses. This may affect performance of the party(deck) in case of any other encounters in the future, unless the party is healed!
The same system will be used to resolve social encounters and even global or natural events, such as disease.
To make sure players get as much freedom as possible, you can always choose to skip the minigame and use Auto-resolve that will give you the end results only!
Our story driven events are at the heart of exploring Thea. Through these happenings, you will discover the many wonders of the world, but also learn of the past and find a way forwards for mankind!
As you explore Thea, you will come across many events, some small, like encounters on your journey or simple resource gathering, and some much bigger, with global effects, like a hurricane, or a plague.
Our story driven events are designed to show you the life in Thea as it awakens from the Darkness and provide some info to move forwards and perhaps even save the world!
We've designed a dynamic dialogue system with multiple, branching choices and multiple routes that will allow you to enjoy every playthrough!
Depending on the party composition or chance, the events will present different dialogue options or choices and unique ways to resolve a situation.
We have over 30 different world resources that can be combined to create thousands of awesome objects as well as new buildings for your village!
Promo Video Below!
Thea: The Awakening is designed to make crafting fun and really let you experiment. You can make a sword out of some Elven Wood and a piece of Ancient Bone you found, as long as your blacksmith (if you have one!) is able to make swords, you go for it! The item will then have attributes that come from the ingredients used. The combinations are plentiful, and finding new and rare resources will enhance your crafting!
Our crafting recipes are generated procedurally from the resources available in game. Attributes are then assigned depending on the crafting materials used in the recipe. We already have thousands of different combinations!
Our art style is geared towards the dark, foreboding vision of the post-apocalyptic Thea. So, while we feature many of the well known creatures and places of classical Fantasy, we hope to make them our own with the Slavic flavour and the downtrodden and dark vision of the world.
Special thanks also go to Repet, for a couple of very unique contributions to our events graphics and everyone who has donated their pieces to help us out!
Here are a couple of samples of the music (these are work in progress):
Special Thanks also go to Aaron Spencer and Adrian Jakubiak who have donated their music to us in the past!
Thea: The Awakening is a project that grew out of passion for gaming and the desire to make something we'd want to play ourselves. MuHa Games is a small, family studio based in the UK and Poland. So how did MuHa begin? Well, in short Geekdom is what brought us together and propels our projects. We were, and some of us still are, in one roleplaying group, and we worked together so well we decided to carry it over to the real world. MuHa is now comprised of the founding duo A'vee and Khash Firestorm, who have been working in the industry and making games together for several years now and who happen to be married as well; 3.14, another industry veteran, currently residing in Poland, but with us in spirit if not body every step of the way, Yuuki, a PhD Researcher in the field of Fantasy Lit; Obi, currently residing in Poland and working in game dev as well; and finally, our newest addition to the team, Iv, 3.14’s better half, who will battle with marketing and general support of the project. To top of the family affair, Yuuki, 3.14 and Obi are all the godparents of the Firestorm kids and so we remain a very close knit bunch.
Ewa Aguero Padilla aka A'vee Firestorm
Expelled from nursery for constantly drawing on walls and furniture, A'vee decided to turn her passion into something useful. After years of training in drawing straight lines, she was ready to start making game art. Sprites, 3D models, terrain textures - it's her role to make it look good. In her free time she enjoys reading whatever Yuuki writes and also grumble about certain features in Thea: The Awakening not being implemented yet.
What if we get even more? Well, we'd like to localize to as many languages as we can, we dream of having some voice overs, we ponder over mobile devices... So if YOU believe in us enough to get us there, we promise to use the money wisely!
Risks and challenges
With any game development, be it indie or AAA, there are risks involved. Games fall behind their schedules, overstep their budgets or lose essential personnel and things can quickly falter. But, at MuHa Games we are committed to finishing Thea:The Awakening no matter what comes. Most of our team has years of experience working on a diverse set of titles, including such notable names as The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings and Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt or GRID 2; as well as a couple of small titles made solely by MuHa. Everyone says it, but we really are passionate about our project, so we are confident we can weather any storm. If we get funded, we will deliver our promises and we’ll work our butts off to make it as promptly as possible. Our biggest challenge to date is the outsourcing, and the only remaining improvements we need are the 3D models and more custom artwork. This is our final stretch, so we need support to make Thea better, but we will certainly make it!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (29 days)