Joel Robinson Returns for MST3K LIVE ANNIVERSARY TOUR this Fall… and backers can get exclusive tickets TOMORROW @ 10am! PLUS: More thoughts from Joel about Season 12!
Dear MST3K Revival League,
Hey, it's Joel again. Yeah, I know, I just sent you an update on Friday. But you know, at the end of that update, I also told you there were some other special surprises coming up to celebrate Mystery Science Theater 3000's THIRTIETH BIRTHDAY. And last night, I found out that I could share one of the best surprises with you right now, before we tell everyone else.
That's why I'm happy to tell you that…
This October, I’ll be back in the red jumpsuit and joining Jonah Heston and the bots for the all-new MST3K LIVE 30th ANNIVERSARY TOUR: 42 shows in 29 cities, featuring two brand new movies!
That's right, y’all: for this very special anniversary tour, I'm pleased to tell you that Joel Robinson will be returning to the Satellite of Love. I'm back in the red jumpsuit, and this time around, I'll be riffing live on stage, shoulder-to-shoulder with Jonah, Crow, Tom Servo and Gypsy. We had such a wonderful time last summer, meeting so many of you in person, that we wanted to do it again as soon as we could. And having Joel Robinson return to riff after 25 years seemed like the perfect way to celebrate MST3K’s anniversary with you!
We'll be performing two completely different shows as part of the tour, featuring two incredibly strange and cheesy feature films: The Brain, a Canadian sci-fi suburban nightmare, and Deathstalker, a fun sword and sandal epic with some surprisingly muppety monsters!
And, just like last year, we’re traveling all over the United States, and hope you’ll join us in a city near you. Plus, we’ve added some great locations we weren’t able to visit before, including shows in Texas, Florida, North Carolina, Connecticut and Maine.
Since I know a lot of you are going to ask, here's the whole schedule for the tour:
- OCT 9 - Portland, ME (The Brain @ 7:30pm)
- OCT 10 - Boston, MA (The Brain @ 7:30pm)
- OCT 11 - Boston, MA (Deathstalker @ 7:30pm)
- OCT 12 - Washington, DC (The Brain @ 7:00pm / Deathstalker @ 10:00pm)
- OCT 13 - New Haven, CT (The Brain @ 7:00pm)
- OCT 14 - New York, NY (The Brain @ 3:00pm / Deathstalker @ 7:00pm)
- OCT 16 - Norfolk, VA (The Brain @ 7:30pm)
- OCT 17 - Durham, NC (Deathstalker @ 7:30pm)
- OCT 19 - Ft. Lauderdale, FL (The Brain @ 7:00pm)
- OCT 20 - Orlando, FL (The Brain @ 4:00pm / Deathstalker @ 8:00pm)
- OCT 21 - Atlanta, GA (The Brain @ 3:00pm / Deathstalker @ 8:00pm)
- OCT 24 - Cincinnati, OH (The Brain @ 7:30pm)
- OCT 25 - Cleveland, OH (Deathstalker @ 7:30pm)
- OCT 26 - Glenside, PA (The Brain @ 7:00pm / Deathstalker @ 10:00pm)
- OCT 27 - Wilkes Barre, PA (The Brain @ 5:00pm)
- OCT 28 - Royal Oak, MI (The Brain @ 3:00pm / Deathstalker @ 7:00pm)
- OCT 30 - St. Louis, MO (The Brain @ 7:30pm)
- OCT 31 - Nashville, TN (The Brain @ 7:30pm)
- NOV 2 - Dallas, TX (The Brain @ 7:00pm / Deathstalker @ 10:00pm)
- NOV 3 - Houston, TX (The Brain @ 7:00pm)
- NOV 4 - Austin, TX (The Brain @ 3:00pm / Deathstalker @ 7:00pm)
- NOV 6 - Los Angeles, CA (The Brain @ 7:00pm)
- NOV 7 - San Francisco, CA (The Brain @ 8:00pm)
- NOV 8 - San Jose, CA (Deathstalker @ 7:30pm)
- NOV 9 - Portland, OR (The Brain @ 7:00pm / Deathstalker @ 10:00pm)
- NOV 11 - Seattle, WA (The Brain @ 3:00pm / Deathstalker @ 7:00pm)
- NOV 13 - Boulder, CO (The Brain @ 7:30pm)
- NOV 15 - Milwaukee, WI (The Brain @ 7:30pm)
- NOV 16 - Chicago, IL (The Brain @ 7:00pm / Deathstalker @10:00pm)
- NOV 17 - Minneapolis, MN (The Brain @ 7:00pm / Deathstalker @10:00pm)
So, there you go. This fall, we'll be on the road for 6 weeks, 29 cities and 42 shows, and I hope some of you will come out to celebrate THIRTY YEARS OF MST3K with us, because I think we'll have a blast. And, as always, since you're the reason the show is alive again after all these years, I wanted to make sure you heard about this before anyone else.
And actually, just like last year, I also want to make sure you get a chance to reserve your seats before anyone else, which is why, once again...
Starting at 10am tomorrow, you'll be able to get tickets to all of these shows, exclusive to backers, for the first 12 hours!
We'll send an update tomorrow morning at 9am Eastern Time with a secret "backers' only" link, and tickets will be available starting at 10am, local time, for each show.
Now, I need to get going, because we're getting ready to start shooting the new episodes, but before I do, I also just want to take a moment to let you know that I've read your comments and questions about last week's update, and I'll do my best to share some more details here.
For those of you who are concerned about our decision to shoot a shorter season, or to make the episodes more "binge-friendly," I hope you'll keep an open mind. We're not changing the style of the show, or dumbing it down, or making concessions. We’re just having some fun with the format, and this new season, and the way it’s structured. We love this season’s lineup of movies. In fact, I honestly think that this could be our best season yet. Also, I suspect that season 12 is going to be the best opportunity yet for you to invite your friends and family to get into the show, if they haven’t already!
And you know, if you don't want to binge, you don't have to – the show will be just as good if you watch one episode at a time. I guess all I was trying to say in the last update is, the world of television has changed a lot in the last 30 years, and we think there are some neat ways for Mystery Science Theater 3000 to have fun with that. You’ll see.
But yeah, for those of you worried because we're "only" making six new episodes, I promise, there's nothing to panic about, so repeat to yourself: "I should really just relax." Shorter seasons don't mean we're going to make fewer episodes, they just mean we're going to make fewer at a time! And like I said last week, that also means we should be able to get them out sooner, and not make you wait so long in between seasons. It’s also, we feel, the best way to help grow the MST3K community – and obviously, that's a really important goal so that the show can keep on having a long and productive life.
I've also seen some of the theories that have popped up since our last update, but you don't need to worry: we're not planning to end the show again after this season. As you know, we’re so happy to have the show back and we’re looking forward to continuing for as long as we can! I also want you to know that Netflix hasn’t forced us to change anything about MST3K, or make creative concessions. They’re actually really enthused about the show.
Also, if anything, my feeling is that being able to shoot shorter seasons is way better for the creative life of the show, and I hope you’ll agree when you see the new season.
So yeah: in conclusion, my friends, it's okay if you're not sure how you feel about last week's update. But before you make up your mind, I hope you'll tune in and see what we’ve done. We've got some really fun surprises (and terrible movies) planned for Season 12, and I'm excited for you to see them!
Anyway, now I really have to get to the studio so we can start shooting – but if you want to come out this fall and join us for the MST3K LIVE 30TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR, be sure to keep an eye out for the update we'll send at 9am Eastern Time tomorrow!
Cheers & Thanks,