36 HOURS LEFT and We're At 87%!!! Find out who's offering to CAMEO on the next MST3K!
Up and at 'em, everyone!
We've got just 38 HOURS LEFT in our Final Countdown, which makes today the last full day of our Kickstarter to #BringBackMST3K.
When we're this close to the end, every hour matters... so let's use 'em wisely!
But I've gotta tell you, I'm feeling great this morning. I've been so excited to see your responses after yesterday's big announcements about all of the talented folks who have offered to jump in and help with the next season of Mystery Science Theater 3000. And I still haven't told you about the amazing performers who have agreed to join us for cameos... but we'll get to that in a second.
First, let's take a look at where things stand:
With just over 36 hours to go, our combined total has passed $4.77 million, which means we're now almost 87% of the way to our final goal!
And when you add that to what we've raised here on Kickstarter, it looks like this:
See that? We just passed $4.4MM on Kickstarter alone, and we're moving faster than ever.
Plus, we've still got just over 36 hours to reach the end, so who knows... maybe we can even set a new record!
In fact, just in case we do reach $5.5MM and unlock all twelve episodes before our Final Countdown ends, I've got one last "stretch goal" in mind… but I'll tell you more about that later. Because right now, I've got something really exciting to tell you.
Who Might Appear for Cameos in the New Episodes?
Yesterday, I introduced you to some of the incredible writers and brilliant artists who have offered to help out and join us "behind the camera" for the next season of MST3K.
Today – to kick off the last 36 hours of our Kickstarter – I wanna share the names of a few more super-talented folks I've been talking to, who are interested in helping us out in front of the camera!
Now, listen: there's no way we can 100% guarantee this stuff, because these nice folks are all really busy… but they're also really big fans of MST3K, and they've each said that if we can fit into their schedules, they'd love to do a cameo in one of our new episodes!
So, here are a few performers who are interested in appearing on MST3K next season:
- JACK BLACK, the brilliant comic actor and musician, star of everything from the Kung Fu Panda films to the wonderful School of Rock… though to some people, of course, he's better known as one-half of Tenacious D. So, I don't wanna tell you anything about what I'm planning for his character… but I think it would be a lot of fun to have him perform a song.
- JOEL MCHALE, who I first knew as the hilariously dry host of The Soup, and who has been expanding his acting career into television (as the star of Community) and film (the Ted movies). I met Joel at a friend's wedding last year, and we became fast friends. He's a really nice guy, so even though he's in demand for big-time revivals like The X-Files, he says he's up for joining us too!
- BILL HADER, the incredible changeling/actor/impressionist who has appeared in everything from SNL to Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs to Trainwreck. I’ve always been amazed by Bill's talents, and was finally introduced to him backstage at SNL by a mutual friend.
- NEIL PATRICK HARRIS is a true renaissance man whose career spans film, TV, the broadway stage and the internet, where he appeared opposite our own Felicia Day in Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. Funny enough, though, I actually met Neil through mutual friends at the Los Angeles Magic History Conference, where we geeked out on magic together. Also, I'm honored to point out that Neil has always been a MSTie. In fact, he was included in first MST documentary – This is MST3K – all the way back in his Doogie Howser days!
- JERRY SEINFELD, my long time friend, and of course, one of our most brilliant stand-up comedians. Jerry was also the co-creator of Seinfeld, and the creator and host of my favorite concept for a talk show, Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. You know, I’ve known this guy for over thirty years. I actually remember him from when he only had one car.
We'd be lucky to have any one of these comedians stop in for a cameo… and if everything works out, our next season will have cameos from all of them!
Finally, there's one other person who I've been talking to about a cameo, and it sounds like he's up for it… but before I tell you his name, there's something else I wanna mention.
I forgot to put this in my updates last week, but over the summer, when we weren't sure when -- or if – we'd be able to bring back MST3K, Crow and Servo went on a few auditions. Last week, one of those tapes "leaked":
First Star Wars, and now MST3K? I guess Tom and Crow are really working the revival circuit these days.
Anyway, speaking of Star Wars, you might remember a few weeks ago – not long after we launched our Kickstarter campaign – that this happened:
And you know, once it did, I had to follow up on it.
I was able to connect with Mark through someone we both know, and when we talked last week, I asked if he would be up for doing a cameo on Mystery Science Theater 3000.
Guess what, everyone?
MARK HAMILL is up for doing a cameo on Mystery Science Theater 3000!
And you know, when we finally spoke, and Mark told he me was a MSTie from way back, I was simply knocked out. Like a lot of other people in my generation, seeing Star Wars in theaters back in 1977 was a profound experience. For me, it was the equivalent of seeing the Stones play. But since then, I've also admired Mark's incredible work as a voice actor, especially as the Joker in the Batman animated series and video games. Mark just gives these unbelievable performances in all of his roles, so I'm excited to find a really fun, unexpected role for him on MST.
Now, those are just some of the amazing and talented performers who have offered to stop into the show. But you know, as much as I love all of these guys, let's face it: it's a little bit male-centric.
I've gotta tell you: that wasn't intentional. I guess I just have a harder time meeting women these days? But listen, if any female celebrities are reading this, and happen to be fans of MST3K, please let me know! And if your names happen to be Tina Fey, Lily Tomlin or Amy (Poehler and Schumer) – a few of my current comedy heroes – call me! We're bringing back MST3K and would love for you to do a cameo!
Now, I don't wanna promise anything just yet, because I haven't started talking to most of these guys about the characters we'd create for them, but I'm just gonna put this out there... if we can get Bobby Lopez to write a new duet for Felicia Day and Neil Patrick Harris?
I mean, come on: how cool would that be?
And you know what? If we can get to a FULL TWELVE EPISODES, I bet we could make it happen. We've got less than $750,000 to go, and a little more than 36 hours to get there, so let's make it all count, MSTies. I know you can do this.
KEEP CIRCULATING THE URL.
Cheers and Thanks,
Crow T. Robot, here. Today's going to be a real hamdinger of a day: we've got work left to do, and we're going to need all hands on deck. We've got just over 36 hours to reach our final goal, so that we can shoot a whole season of MST3K next year. If we don't, I might have to go back to auditioning for robot parts again. I just can't do it anymore! So, help out your fellow robot this one last time?
Just post one (or all) of these messages to Twitter & Facebook right now:
- #BringBackMST3K to get cameos from @JackBlack42 @JoelMcHale @ActuallyNPH @JerrySeinfeld @HamillHimself & Hader! http://mst3k.com/kickstarter/update20
- Hey @DrHorrible fans: wanna see @FeliciaDay & @ActuallyNPH do another duet? Help us #BringBackMST3K! 36 HRS LEFT @ http://mst3k.com/kickstarter/update20
- 36 HRS LEFT to #BringBackMST3K & @JoelGHodgson’s got an all-star line up of cameos… but @tinafey @amypoehler @lilytomlin: please call!