60 Hours Left: 81% FUNDED… And We Passed $4.4MM! We've Got NINE EPISODES, All-Star Guest Writers, New Rewards & More!
WE'VE HIT OUR THIRD GOAL and PASSED $4.4MM, so...
- Now we can make at least NINE new episodes of MST3K!
- We're in the Red Zone: ALL Bonus Rewards are unlocked!
- LESS THAN 60 HOURS to reach our final goal: 12 NEW EPISODES!
FOUR Types of Writers Riffing in the Next Season of MST3K
..including our cast, our next staff writers, special guests including showrunners, comedians, bestselling authors, an MST3K Veteran, an EGOT winner and you!
THREE Amazing New Rewards Added!
- EXPERIMENT 498-499: Voicemail Greetings from Special Guests!
- EXPERIMENT 2001: Group Dinner with Joel and Friends!
- EXPERIMENT 18K: We'll Riff YOUR Video For You!
- TWO DAYS LEFT until the Final Countdown Ends...
- ONE Final Goal: A FULL SEASON OF 12 EPISODES
Buckle your seatbelts, everyone!
Our Kickstarter page now shows our time left in hours instead of days, which means it's time to "kick(start)" things into high gear. And to get us started, I've got some exciting news to share with you:
Our combined total just passed $4.4MM, putting us at over 80% of our final goal… and guaranteeing we can make at least NINE NEW EPISODES of MST3K!
That's right: we've now raised OVER $300,000 in ADD-ON REWARDS, which means we're in the Red Zone! And I hope you all know what that means…
That's right, team: now things are getting really exciting. There's not even time to list all of the Bonus Rewards you've unlocked – including a free short from our friends at RiffTrax – so we updated our Reward Grid:
But here's the most important part:
Everyone pledging for EXPERIMENT 085 or higher will get at least NINE new episodes plus TEN free classic episodes of MST3K!
Actually, you know what? Nineteen is kind of a weird number, so let's throw in another classic episode.
EXPERIMENTS 085+ now get TWENTY total episodes of MST3K.
Yeah. That just feels better, doesn't it?
Anyway, there's no time to stop there. I've been promising to give you more news about the next season of MST3K, and to share the names of some of the talented new people I've been talking to.
And in fact, there are so many people that I wanna tell you about, that I'm going to spread them across three updates, starting with some names that have agreed to come help us write our new riffs.
Who's Going To Write the New Episodes of MST3K?
First, let me tell you how we used to write MST3K, back in the day. We usually had about eight people in the Writers’ Room at a time. Then, we also had about four remote writers, who would send in their riffs from all over the country. So, I’m gonna try to stick with those numbers – about 12 writers for each episode.
That might sound like a lot, but you know what they say: "It takes a village to riff a movie."
OK, actually, I don’t think anyone says that.
But anyway, having 12 writers on each new episode gives us a lot of room to bring in great writing talent, even if it's just to help out with an episode here and there.
We’ll have four groups of writers contributing riffs for the new season:
1. OUR CAST
Naturally, all of our performers are going to write, as is the custom on our show… So, you’ll be hearing riffs from Jonah, Hampton, Barron, Felicia and Patton.
2. OUR BACKERS
For the first time, we’ll also have a Kickstarter backer – one of you! – helping writes riffs for each new episode. Most of those positions have been filled, but if you want to join us, we’ve just added a final set of “EXPERIMENT 10K” rewards, for Episodes 10-12! Get 'em while they're hot!
3. OUR STAFF WRITERS
Now, unlike most shows, most of our regular MST3K writers aren’t going to be professional television writers. But remember: none of our original writers had a lot of "pro" experience, except maybe in Minneapolis... and look how that worked out!
So, our next staff writers are mostly people I’ve met in my travels, who I thought were funny and who have a knack for movie riffing. They come from all walks of life:
- One is a teacher at a Montessori school,
- One works in a bookstore,
- One does graphics for a college,
- One is in advertising,
- One writes for a women’s online magazine,
- One has a local public radio show,
- One does IT for a design firm…
See what I mean? It’s all over the place!
4. OUR GUEST WRITERS
But remember, now that we’re doing somewhere between 9 and 12 episodes, I’m happy to report that a lot of our amazing friends have agreed to come join us as guest writers. Here’s a list of writers who have already agreed to come help out:
- DAN HARMON, the incredible mind who created Community, hosts the Harmontown podcast, and co-creator of the very funny Rick & Morty.
- JUSTIN ROILAND, the other creator of Rick & Morty, as well as a very talented voice actor/comedian/artist, and a huge MSTie.
- ROB SCHRAB, an original remote writer for MST3K, co-founder of the seminal Channel 101… and now, director of the next Lego Movie.
- NELL SCOVELL, a long-time collaborator and friend, will be “in the house” too. She’s currently writing on the The Muppet Show but has worked on The Simpsons, Newhart and It’s Garry Shandling’s Show, among others.
- ERNIE CLINE, the New York Times best-selling author of Ready Player One, which will soon be a movie from Steven Spielberg! If you’ve read RP1, you know how good Ernie is with cultural references.
- PAT ROTHFUSS, the New York Times best-selling author of The Name of Wind, has offered to have a “story breakfast” with me and go over “story beats” for the next series… and a few of you can join us!
- PAUL & STORM, the hilarious musical act, W00tstock founders and stars, musical contributors to Despicable Me 2, my good friends and the hosts for Friday’s live “Final Countdown Telethon” will be contributing riffs and some special music!
- DANA GOULD, the brilliant comedian and former Simpsons writer, who will also probably appear on camera as well for a cameo or two. But actually, that gets into the area of our Guest Cameos, which is a topic I want to save for tomorrow.
- ROBERT LOPEZ, the EGOT-winning songwriter from Avenue Q, The Book of Mormon and Frozen, has offered to write some original songs for us!
Pretty cool, huh? I'm excited to have so many new faces and voices helping out. But I also want to make sure it's not "too" new – you know, even as the show changes, I want to make sure we're honoring MST3K's past.
So, like I said, we've now made offers to all of MST's original writers. While it seems like most of them won't be available to join us, at least for now, I still hope they’ll decide to join us later. We'll always be glad to have them back, even if it's just for an episode or two when they can spare some time.
And actually, I'm happy to tell you that a few MST veterans have agreed to come back and “Pitch” in – not just as writers, but in other creative departments too – to make sure MST3K still has the spirit of the little cowtown puppet show you know and love:
- CHARLIE ERICKSON,or, as he’s now known in the international DJ scene, Chuck Love, was the musical genius behind the original MST3K theme song, as well as the arranger of the haunting “MST3K Love Theme.” Charlie will be back to work on some new arrangements for us… and hopefully some new music, too!
- BEEZ McKEEVER, MST3K’s original “Prop Diva,” will return to design special costumes for the bots. (Watch for her special line in the credits: “Robot Fashions created by Miss Beez of Duluth!”)
- CRIST BALLAS, our original MST3K hair and makeup designer – and a long time friend – will also be joining us in that department, as well as plying his real trade: creating Academy Award-winning special effects makeup!
- PAUL CHAPLIN – old “Pitch” himself! – the veteran writer (over 144 MST3K episodes!) will be back demonstrate his mastery of “the craft we call riff”… and more important, to show the newer MST3K writers how we did it back in the day!
Pretty incredible, huh?
So yeah, I hope seeing the names of some of the talented people who are excited to help create the next season of Mystery Science Theater 3000 will give you a better sense of where we're going... and help explain why it's so important that we reach our final goal, and make a full season of TWELVE NEW EPISODES.
Of course, we've still got to hit our last goal, so...
I'm also excited to announce that some of our future team – and a few other friends – have volunteered their time and talent to let us add a few more big-ticket reward packages!
So, we've just added these new rewards...
EXPERIMENTS 498-499: VOICEMAIL GREETING from SPECIAL GUESTS
Just like the personalized voicemail greetings in EXPERIMENT 400, only now you get to pick between JUSTIN ROILAND (Rick & Morty) and DANA SNYDER (Aqua Teen Hunger Force). See the reward descriptions for more details.
EXPERIMENTS 2001: JOIN A DINNER w/ RICK & MORTY
Just like the dinner invitations from our cast in EXPERIMENT 1500, only for these dinners, you'll join Joel and special guests DAN HARMON & JUSTIN ROILAND(co-creators of Rick & Morty). 2 dinners, limited to 10 pairs of backers each... you know, so we can really talk.
EXPERIMENT 18K: WE'LL RIFF YOUR VIDEO!
This one was actually Patton's suggestion: for a few people, we'll have our team riff a short video you send us, just like we'll do on the new episodes. Our writers will come up with riffs. Jonah and the Bots will sit in their seats and riff your video. Joel might even sit in and join them. Then, we'll send you the video to keep. It's like having a short, private episode of MST3K. And if you want, we might even share it on the MST3K YouTube Channel. There are a couple restrictions, so be sure to read the description before pledging!
Anyway, lots to do, so I'd better get back to work. More this afternoon!
And remember: less than 60 hours left to hit our final goal, team, so...
KEEP CIRCULATING THE URL
Cheers and Thanks,
Crow again! Good work, everyone! We did it! We got to our final Crow-Funding goal, which means... oh. What? We've still got another 2 days and 20% to go? Awww, man. Okay, well, I guess we still need your help then.
Just post one (or all) of these messages to Twitter & Facebook right now:
- 60 HOURS LEFT to #BringBackMST3K & we’ve unlocked 3/4 of our goals. Now we need YOUR help to reach the end! http://mst3k.com/kickstarter/update18
- 60 HRS to #BringBackMST3K & Joel just announced writing help from @danharmon @justinroiland @robschrab @danagould http://mst3k.com/kickstarter/update18
- 60 HRS to #BringBackMST3K & Joel announces writing help from @PatrickRothfuss @erniecline @paulandstorm @NellSco http://mst3k.com/kickstarter/update18
- 60 HRS to #BringBackMST3K & @JoelHodgson has announced that EGOT winner @lopezbobby will write new music for @MST3K! http://mst3k.com/kickstarter/update18