UPDATE - STRETCH GOAL
Thanks to all of our Backers for the amazing support and feedback. We have had a lot of requests for more colors of underwear. We are happy to announce that if we reach $100K, then we will have the opportunity to produce Black for all Backers that have January ship dates. Please help us get there! We would ask that you share our project link with just ONE person who you think would love our product.
The time has come to change your underwear.
Since our successful campaign to launch the world’s best undershirt, our customers have been asking us to make underwear too. It took us 18 months, dozens of prototypes and a beta test with nearly 100 customers.
We're proud today to launch:
Packed with advanced features and built for all day comfort, you're going to love wearing Mr. Davis underwear. We'll get to the story in more detail in a moment, but for those of you who want a quick campaign summary, here you go:
A little more than 2 years ago, Mr. Davis launched the World's Best Undershirt on Kickstarter. Your interest exceeded our expectations, and a company was born.
When Mr. Davis launched the team committed to four things.
- Make things we actually need: We only make products we use every day, and we do our best to make them better.
- Maximize value: We'll always work to lower the structural costs of our business - we avoid middlemen, use simple packaging to minimize cost and waste and we mark our product up less than traditional clothing retailers. We can do this because we have very high repeat order rates. Our average undershirt customer has more than five shirts.
- Measure twice, cut once: We like to be quick, but too many companies rush products to market. We will only introduce a new product when it's truly ready. We are always working on new things, like socks and sheets for example, but we like to take our time so that our customers know they can trust us.
- Always make it right: If there's ever an issue with an order, even if it's not our fault, we'll make it right. Whenever we run into an issue we ask ourselves how we'd like to be treated, then act accordingly.
All of this leads us to the first part of the story of how we made Mr. Davis Underwear. Bear with us while we dive into the details - if you're supporting us you deserve to have a little reading material.
If you're sold already and are ready to pledge, by all means do so, but if not, then read on!
There is no substitute for wearing (and washing) a design constantly for months to determine that a pair of underwear is truly excellent.
We had designs that we were initially happy with in early 2014. After just a few wears, we were ready to go. But as we wore those 2014 prototypes more, we knew we’d made good underwear. We also knew we could still make them better.
So we went back to the drawing board and kept wearing them every day, making incremental improvements over the next six months.
At that point, in December of 2014, we did a beta test with around 100 customers to get feedback before we launched. We got very positive feedback on the one cut we offered then (the Mid-Cut) and had people asking us when they could buy more.
Digging into the feedback, we realized that one cut wasn't enough - some people preferred longer underwear; some shorter. So we created three cuts instead of one and worked on a number of other small improvements.
We've been finalizing those improvements over the last several months and now we're excited to share what we've made with you.
"There never was a good knife made of bad steel."
So said Ben Franklin, and we agree - you can't make great underwear out of bad fabric.
Because underwear is mostly commoditized, most underwear manufacturers skimp on fabric hoping their customers will accept mediocrity.
We pay more for our fabrics to maximize comfort and long term performance because we know our customers want the best. Once you wear them you'll agree.
In talking to our customers we found that most other underwear they liked was good in one way or another, but also suffered from weaknesses in other areas. We looked at every aspect of what makes underwear work well to combine those features into a truly wonderful pair. Bear with us some more as we dive into the details; they are important.
- Their Band: Most underwear makers, even good ones, skimp on the band. Typically measuring 3 cm, they’re too short, so they cut into you like a thin belt. Most bands are flimsy as well so manufacturers save on elastic. This flimsiness causes the cheap bands to fold in half and weaken over time. To add insult to injury, many brands use the band as their own personal billboard, so it’s easy to tell when your underwear band is showing.
- The Mr. Davis Band: Our band is 4 cm tall, which is tall enough that you won't feel constricted. Band Thickness: We use the best quality elastics we can buy. It costs us more, but our bands don't wilt. Band Design: These are your underwear, not ours, so we shouldn’t insult you by using the band as a billboard. Our band is simple. It’s designed to blend in, particularly with denim, so if you shirt happens to ride up, most people probably won’t notice.
- The Band Seam: Most manufacturers use an overlapping seam.This means that a small portion of the band overlaps at the seam, creating a cliff. The overlapping seam the cheapest, easiest and (unsurprisingly) most common seam out there, but it’s scratchy. To make a better seam we aligned the ends of the band end-to-end so there’s no overlap. We use ultrasonic stitching technology to make the seam as flat as possible while maintaining strength. It’s more difficult and expensive, but it lasts longer, and there's no scratchy overlap.
- More panels, better stitching and more cuts: We use a total of 8 fabric panels with flat lock stitching throughout. It means more labor, but more panels means more comfort. We're also offering three different cuts to allow you to dial in the perfect fit no matter what your activity.
- The Right Rise: Rise is the "height" of underwear from the perineum to the top of the band. When the rise is too high, your underwear rides up and you have excess fabric. For reasons we do not understand, most underwear on the racks today is way too tall. It looks frumpy and isn't as comfortable as a lower rise. In each of our cuts we've designed the rise to enhance pouch support and comfort.
- An Anatomical Pouch: If you look at most underwear, you’ll find that even “sporty” underwear mostly uses a flat, minimally-anatomical front. This makes no sense unless you are making women’s underwear, but companies do it because flat-fronted underwear requires less skilled labor. We use a total of four panels just for the pouch, which is contoured like a half-teardrop to provide just the right amount of lift and support to your John Thomas. Imagine being cupped by the hands of an angel wearing gloves made from the finest puppy fur —that's what we're going for. The lift you get from our perfect pouch reduces skin-on-skin contact, so you aren’t adjusting yourself all day.
- Perineal Venting: The Perfect Pouch helps keep the boys from sticking to your legs, but you also need air flow and moisture management to be comfortable. To help here, we created a huge perineal vent from the most air-permeable fabric we could find - an almost unbelievably thin 110 gsm polyamide-spandex blend. Working with a fabric this airy is difficult, but there’s truly nothing like it for maximizing ventilation where you need it most. Other underwear manufacturers use "meshy looking stuff" — the simulated wood grain of underwear venting. We've done better so you’ll be more comfortable.
Your choice of three cuts, two fabrics, two colors and five sizes*.
Underwear fit is a personal thing. In fact, next to quality, it's the most important thing.
With this in mind, it was critical to offer our customers options to get a custom fit. We think the Mid-Cut is a great all around pair, but some people definitely prefer a few more inches of inseam.
*Note: Our 2,000 early-bird pairs are all grey bamboo viscose. We have all sizes and cuts though, so you'll still have a lot of choices for your first (or more) pair.
If we could only have one pair, it would probably be the Bamboo Viscose trunks in Navy, but thankfully you'll get to choose a custom mix once Kickstarter closes.
You don't choose your size and cut mix today, but rather after Kickstarter closes.
Mr. Davis underwear will fit a broad range of body types and sizes. Our underwear is designed to fit snugly, so if you like a little more room or are on the edge of a size, we suggest you size up.
We're offering two base fabrics:
- Classic: People simply love our best undershirt fabric - a delightful blend of bamboo viscose and spandex, which combines the softness of cotton with the thinness and stretch of performance fabrics.
- Sport: We know a lot of our customers spend time working out and would sometimes prefer something with a little more support that dries even faster.
Both Classic and Sport options feature our exclusive perineal venting. You can read more about our fabrics below.
With two fabric options, you'll be able to wear Mr. Davis no matter what you're doing.
It's been extremely gratifying to take an idea - making a great undershirt - and see thousands of people around the world enjoying that idea. We simply couldn't have done it without the support of the Kickstarter community.
Because of that we want to make sure we give back to our early supporters.
Supporters of our first Kickstarter project were made members of the Founder's Club and received a bonus towards any future purchase at www.mrdavis.com. These bonuses never expire - if you supported us originally and haven't come back for more shirts, you still have a bonus waiting for you.
So here's the deal:
1. Standard Bonus: Every supporter of this project will get a credit towards any purchase at our website. Those credit amounts are specified for each reward level and will process as you complete your backer survey.
2. Founder's Club Bonus: Every supporter of this project who also supported our first project will receive a double bonus. We will simply double the credit specified at a given reward level if you have supported us twice. Our business doesn't exist without you. Note: We identify 2nd time backers by the email address, so please use the same one as you did for our undershirt project.
Thanks for reading this far and as always, you can reach out to the team at email@example.com if you ever need anything.
Risks and challenges
We feel that the risks for this project are minimal.
We successfully converted our first Kickstarter into a business, which we've been running for over two years. At this point, we have complete designs, strong supplier relationships, a year of wear testing and the feedback of nearly nearly 100 testers.
With that said, our freight timing is the big driver of uncertainty for this project. Depending on the size of our Kickstarter order, it could take a bit more time to complete and receive everything. We will queue up our large order as soon as the Kickstarter funds clear. We expect manufacturing, freight and customs to take between 12 and 16 weeks, but if we can make it faster than that we will.
We do, however, have 2,000 pairs of our grey bamboo viscose underwear in stock right now for early birds, distributed across all cuts and sizes, so there is almost no risk there.
Early birds should get their underwear within 10 days or so of the close of Kickstarter and submitting survey information.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (28 days)