About this project
Pledge now to lock in our best pricing and to discover how to make travel better and more fun by becoming a one bag traveler.
We know how important it is to deliver quickly, so that's exactly what we're going to do here. We have over 1,000 great rewards for early supporters.
If you don't end up grabbing an Early Bird reward, don't fret. We're still committed to quick shipping. We'll produce as many as needed and get all shipments out later this Fall.
Maybe you've never heard of one bag travel.
It's still a quiet but burgeoning movement of people around the world who have discovered that a minimalist approach to both business and personal travel has a lot of advantages over the way most of us travel.
- It's Faster: No more gate checking. No more searching for a big enough overhead bin spot. With one bag, you move faster and wait around less.
- It's Safer: Carrying multiple bags, particularly ones with wheels, marks you as a tourist, making you a target for thieves. When you travel with one bag, you blend in more and keep your stuff with you.
- It's Easier: When you're not dragging a bag behind you, your hands are free and it's easier to move through a crowded airport or public transport.
- It's Less Expensive: Avoid baggage fees when you check and keep your bag with you when you explore.
- It's More Fun: Ever have a few extra hours on a trip that you ended up wasting? If you have wheeled luggage, you're stuck going only where it can go. With the Continuum, you can explore and take your stuff with you.
Once you try one bag traveling - whether with the Continuum or another option - you'll never want to haul multiple bags again.
The Continuum can easily handle a three to four night trip. If you're an efficient packer, you can get five to seven nights from a bag that will fit in any overhead bin, even on international and commuter flights.
Frames and wheels have their place, but for most of your trips, they add weight, complexity and cost. They also take up space that could otherwise be used for your stuff. By going with a soft shell, we maximize capacity and minimize weight.
- We found that a lot of the bags that people use for one bag travel weren't particularly friendly to laptops. Some add a padded laptop compartment, but even with a dedicated compartment you still need a way to carry your laptop during the day when you're not hauling everything else.
To address this issue, we built a matching laptop sleeve that actually becomes its own bag.
- Two Sizes: If your reward includes a sleeve, you'll get to choose a 13" or 15" size when you complete your backer survey. As far as sizing goes, the 13" easily fits both MacBooks and MacBook Airs. The 15" sleeve accommodates most 15.6" laptops. The largest laptop we tested was this Dell, which is 15.1" x 10.1" x ~1.2".
- In-Sleeve Charging: Our double-zippered ingress opens wide enough that you can charge while your laptop is safe in its case.
- TSA Compliant: We comply with TSA specs so you don't have to remove your laptop from the sleeve to x-ray it.
- Becomes a Bag: Our included d-rings attach to the bag's strap so you have a perfect small bag while you're on the road.
The best way to make travel more fun is to make it easier. To that end we built the Continuum so you could carry it how you like depending on what you are doing. We offer two main carry options plus a third bonus option for getting around in tight spaces.
Seasoned travelers swear by the backpack. They minimize your silhouette and distribute weight efficiently, so they're fantastic over distance. If your trip is going to require a decent amount of walking, we recommend wearing the Continuum as a backpack.
While the Continuum is not a hiking pack, it will give you incredible flexibility when you travel.
Whether you just want something to help you to get out and see a new city at the end of a business trip or you're looking to buy a Eurail pass and hang out in Europe for a few months, we have you covered.
The backpack straps are reinforced, are lightly padded with a breathable mesh and feature an elastic chest stabilizer to help keep the Continuum close to your body.
When you're not using the bag as a backpack, the straps tuck away into a recessed zipper pocket so they won't tangle.
For shorter trips, you might prefer to wear the Continuum as a shoulder bag - messenger style if you will. Doing so makes the TSA pocket more accessible to help you speed through security and makes your laptop easier to grab.
If you're not going to spend that much time actually carrying your bag, we highly recommend traveling messenger style.
Many of the world's best and most interesting destinations require buses or subways to see.
When you're on public transport, the last thing you want is a big bag knocking into people or rolling over their toes. We've designed the Continuum to go strapless to minimize your footprint in a crowd.
If you want to carry just one bag, there a couple of key considerations:
- Size: You want enough capacity to fit your stuff but not so much that you end up with too much weight, especially with people with smaller frames. After trying both larger and smaller options, we felt that 30 liters offered the best balance for the most trips for the most people.
- Shape: Most soft bags - both backpacks and duffels - are...roundish. This presents a problem because your stuff stays nicer when it's packed flat. We opted for the classic lines of an old Volvo - boxy but good - to maximize usable space while minimizing wrinkles.
The boxy shape pays dividends when you have to store it as well. With a little practice, you'll be amazed at how much you can take with you in something that takes up so little space.
For a detailed list of all features, see our feature image at the top of the page. Below, we've highlighted some of our favorites.
The shell is made of an innovative PVC Coated 300D Ballistic Nylon. Most premium bags go with a heavier weight, but uncoated nylon. By adding the PVC coating we're able to offer awesome protection (including fray resistance) with a lighter weight fabric. In terms of look and feel, the finer denier (basically thinner fibers) impart a softer handfeel than you get from heavier denier bags.
As with all our products, we use premium materials throughout so the bag not only holds up but also resists scuffs and marks. It will continue to look good as you use it.
Warranty: We stand by our product. The Continuum is guaranteed to be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for 5 years from the date of receipt. If a defect appears during the warranty period, we will repair or replace your product.
To get through security as quickly as possible, it helps to have a place you can easily stuff your phone, passport, watch and wallet.
We created a special fleece-lined pocket for stashing your valuables as your bag gets x-rayed. Every time we use this little pocket, we're thankful we're not digging around for our stuff in the main compartment or leaving it in the bin.
The stash pocket incorporates a cable port to connect to the main compartment so you can charge your phone while it's tucked safely away by connecting to our included USB charger pocket.
Several successful bags on Kickstarter have featured some sort of built in charging apparatus. We respect the ambition here, but the problem with this is that the second you add electronics to soft goods, you dramatically increase the regulatory cost of production to get various international certifications (read: you get long delivery times).
We liked the idea of integrated charging, but we suspected that most of our prospective backers already had one or more USB chargers lying around. So we just made a pocket that will support most 3rd party chargers to charge less for the bag and get it to you more quickly.
The lining of the Continuum is made of ripstop nylon and features recessed zippers on all interior pockets. The USB charger pocket has a velcro strap to hold your charger in place while leaving your USB port(s) accessible.
The Continuum's shoulder strap is wide and well padded so it's easy to carry and comfortable to wear.
When you're not using the strap for the main bag, you can use it to convert the optional laptop sleeve into its own minimalist satellite bag.
The sleeve offers just enough room for a day of meetings or a session at coffee shop. When you are traveling, you'll finally be able to leave your main laptop bag at home.
Shoes are the bane of any efficient packer's existence, especially if you want to work out while you're on a trip that requires more than a pair of trainers. The Continuum features two large shoe pockets - one on each end - so you can keep your footwear, workout gear or dirty laundry separated from the rest of your stuff.
We stopped short of calling it a bag built for runners, but we never travel without a pair of running shoes and in our experience, it makes running while on the road a lot easier.
One of the most useful features of the Continuum is what it does when you are not using it. Because of its soft shell and its boxy shape, it will actually hang up in a spot in your closet. If you'd prefer to compress it into a drawer or another bag that's fine too, but we like hanging it.
If you live in a big city, then you know how precious space is. By replacing wheeled luggage, the Continuum will help you reclaim a little room until you need to use it.
When it rains, you want your stuff to stay dry. The Continuum isn't waterproof, but we wanted to help you be prepared for inclement weather, so we included a rain cover.
Some manufacturers charge up to $40 for rain covers, but we wanted to include one with every bag, because you never realize how much you need one until after you need it.
It's not the same as a dry bag, but you'll be glad you have it. Packs down into about 3"x6"
We have two abiding travel fears: leaving our car keys back at the hotel room and having a delicious cold beer trapped in its own bottle. We decided to address them both by adding a bottle opener to our key keeper.
The bottle opener is just a simple aluminum number, but if you have ever googled how to open a bottle without a bottle opener, then this bud's for you.
Supporters have asked for a few more pictures of the bag. Here are some additional shots both as a backpack and a shoulder bag.
We really appreciate the time you've spent learning about this project. Mr. Davis wouldn't exist as a company without the support and feedback we've gotten from the Kickstarter community.
If you ever have any issues with your reward or any other product you buy from www.mrdavis.com you can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll make it right.
Thanks for your support and please share this project with your friends and family.
- The Mr. Davis Team
Risks and challenges
We've successfully fulfilled two Kickstarter campaigns in the past, so we feel very comfortable about our ability to fulfill here. Additionally, we're already scaling up production of the Continuum. The Early Bird bags are being produced now. We expect the bags to arrive at our warehouse by mid-September and we'll begin shipping Early Birds immediately for those backers who have completed the survey. With that said, there are two risks to highlight:
1. It's possible our September Early Bird dates could get delayed clearing customs. These delays are rare, but in our experience, they can last a few weeks at max.
2. Depending on how much demand we see, it's possible that our non-Early Bird orders could see a bit of delay past November in receiving their bags due to increased production time and holiday demand. This would only happen at extremely high pledge volumes and if we see those, we'll be in a position to fast track an order should it become necessary.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (28 days)