About this project
Moving Arts presents the world premiere of BURNERS, opening March 10, 2017 at the Atwater Village theatre in Los Angeles.
Burners is set in the not-so-distant future where the elite live in luxury inside Avalon Protectorate, a fortified megacity, while the majority of the population struggles to survive in massive, polluted slums. A resistance movement has risen to fight for the rights of the poor, and their most powerful weapons are humans that have been genetically engineered to become living bombs: BURNERS.
Set against this dystopian backdrop, BURNERS brings the struggle into focus through two characters: Liv (Amielynn Abellera) and Nix (Noel Arthur). Liv arrives in a junk depot in a war-torn industrial zone seeking Nix, a smuggler who can get her past the barricades and into the Protectorate. But both have hidden agendas, and when drone bombs trap them inside the depot and their true identities are revealed, Liv and Nix are plunged into a violent conflict that takes on many levels.
Since 1992, Moving Arts has continuously produced adventurous new plays in a variety of venues across Los Angeles, ranging from traditional theatres such as [Inside] the Ford in Hollywood and the Los Angeles Theatre Center, downtown to nontraditional spaces such as the Natural History Museum and the parking lot across from Disney Hall, showing a remarkable versatility and commitment to the craft of theatre.
- Terence Anthony Playwright
- Sara Wagner Director
- Cece Tio Producer
- Susan K. Coulter Production Stage Manager
- Emily Tuñon Assistant Stage Manager
- Glenn Michael Baker Scenic & Prop Designer
- Martha Carter Lighting Designer
- Joseph "Sloe" Slawinski Sound Designer
- Michael Mullen Costume Designer
- Ronnie Clark Fight Choreographer
- Kat Pagsolingan Video Designer
- Jami Brandli Dramaturg
- David Elzer Publicist
- Courtney Anne Buchan Social Media Marketing
- Juan Luis Garcia Key Art Designer
- Amielynn Abellara Liv
- Noel Arthur Nix
What we need
Bringing a sci-fi story to the stage is a creative challenge that we are excited to take on. Raising $15,000 through Kickstarter to increase our budget will allow the team to make this show an unforgettable theatrical experience.
- Salaries are 40% of our budget. Theatre is inherently collaborative and we believe in paying all of the artists and creative personnel that are working hard to bring this show to life.
- Production Costs are 35% of our budget. Our designers are excited to create a dystopian world in the not-so-distant future and we want to give them the materials to go all out!
- Marketing Costs are 15% of our budget. This is a play that needs to be seen by LA theatre audiences. We need to create social media images, print programs, create post cards and posters and try to ensure that as many people as possible can come see this incredible play and the talented artists involved.
- Miscellaneous Costs are 10% of our budget. In addition to all the fun stuff that goes into creating theatre, we also budget for boring line items like insurance, and contingency costs to cover things that may break, short-circuit, or be disintegrated (just kidding).
- Our project will employ hard-working Los Angeles theatre artists.
- From the actors to the creative team, BURNERS is a multicultural production that brings together artists from diverse backgrounds.
- Science fiction is an exciting and under-explored genre for the stage. Through the creative lens of an imagined future, this play tackles one of the most significant issues of our time–the growing gap between the privileged and the poor.
Not only will you be helping to bring an exciting new play to the stage, you’ll have the opportunity to score some very cool, exclusive rewards and swag!
The Protectorate comic book
Playwright Terence Anthony has written and drawn a tie-in comic book set in the world of BURNERS. It’s a 24-page stand-alone story that will give readers a glimpse inside the high-tech walls of Avalon Protectorate and the sprawling slums where “skids” struggle to survive. You don’t need to have seen the play to enjoy the comic book, so it’s a great gift for anyone outside LA who won’t be able to make it to the show.
- Be immortalized in the comic! There are a limited number of pledge levels available to be a “background character” or make a “guest appearance” with a speaking part in the book.
- Become a hero of the resistance! Have your likeness drawn alongside the heroes of the resistance on the “Wall of Heroes,” a 14 x 8” print designed by the playwright.
Tickets, behind-the scenes passes
Patrons can pre-order tickets to the show, or come behind the scenes to meet the cast and creative team.
T-shirts, tattoos and swag
If you can’t get enough of the ultra-cool BURNERS logo, we have plenty of ways you can take it home or wear it around town.
Moving Arts is a 501c3 non-profit organization. Any contribution above the value of the goods and services received by the donor is tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law (the amount you can deduct when collecting a reward is stated for each pledge level).
Risks and challenges
The venue is booked, the play has been cast. Costumes and the soundscape are being designed. Short of a global disaster that ushers in the bleak dystopian future envisioned in the play, the show is going to happen. The funds raised by this Kickstarter will ensure that BURNERS is an unforgettable theatrical experience.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (34 days)