We gave it a lot of thought and compared generic/bulk filaments. We determined the following problems with the Generic Filaments:
1) Generic/Bulk filaments, commonly known as spools, gets unravel and messy, even tangled.
2) They are difficult for user to install
3) They do not send status of the filament to the printer
4) Depending on the quality of the filament itself it can severely damage the printer head
We wanted to make something neat and futuristic so users don't have to deal with messy wires all around the room and it's easily changeable by the end-user and the generic/bulk filaments did not meet the quality or functions needed so we created MOTA Filaments with these features:
1) The filament cartridge has a built-in chip that communicates with the printer on the status and functions.
2) The cartridge bank in the back of the printer requires certain alignment for support
3) High quality; As with regular document printers, lower quality cartridges filaments can reduce the life or damage the print heads.
4) As an option, a switch would allow change of filaments on the spot while the printer is printing
One filament will be provided with all the 3D Printer purchases. For an additional filaments you can add $30 for each color or pre-order http://www.mota.com/3d-printer/, and assuming funding goes through, will be available at a very competitive price shortly after Kickstarter on major online stores such as Amazon.com , and expected to be widely available in retails stores.