I generally try to order proofs in groups. There are three ways to ship from DTRP: Media (3 weeks), expedited (<1 week), or overnight. I usually upgrade the shipping to expedited when I place a proof so that the books will get here quickly. I am ever the optimist, thinking I can get these books to you in a timely manner.
So, when the hardcover is "submitted to the printer," meaning it can be a couple of days, and the black and white is "waiting for an updated file," I have to decide whether to wait for an updated file before printing a proof. It costs about $25 to expedite the shipping, but it costs $25 to order one book or two when expedited, so splitting the order is less cost effective.
Meanwhile, in color softcover land, I have to decide if the back cover art bleed is worth worrying about:
You probably don't care, and you just want your book. Perfect is the enemy of done, after all. I can put the bulk order in NOW and your replacement books will look like this.
So, quick spot poll (particularly for those who have sent in your bulk replacement requests): Do you care enough for me to delay the color softcover replacement order by another 2 weeks (about a week to get files approved and the proof ordered)?