My name is Mori Clark, and I am an illustrator from Akron, OH, embarking on a new creative venture in the world of creepy and cute.
Over the past few years, I have taken on a number of clients in creating band gig posters and merchandise, and have fallen in love with the creative process and output from them. I have decided to try to essentially do my own merchandise now, using the style and process I have developed doing work for others. This Kickstarter is to help get that off the ground!
What're you doing?
Currently, this Kickstarter is here to help me get started with screenprinting! I have experience with screenprinting before, having taken classes on it in college as well as dabbling a bit on the side in it. I have printed t-shirts before, although in the spirit of full-disclosure, they came out less than stellar... however, I am determined now to make this line of printed products work.
What I am to produce is not only t-shirts, but also patches and regular prints, which will be for sale after this Kickstarter not only on Etsy, but hopefully also at local shops around the Akron area.
When it comes to printing I have base-level experience; when it comes to designing for printing, I am already decently well-known, having designed the t-shirts for the local band Acid Cats, including a reward-tier t-shirt for their own Kickstarter earlier in 2015 which received national recognition by the Society of Illustrators of Los Angeles in 2014.
These past designs were printed by Terminus Tees out of Atlanta, GA; both to minimize costs and to give me more hands-on in the creative process, as well as to expand the line of products I can actually make, I have decided to try to print my own designs myself! The designs I am aiming to create will be in a similar vein to the previous Acid Cats merchandise, but with a little bit of a darker edge to them.
What will this go towards?
Currently, I am wanting these funds in order to properly assemble a printmaking station at my house. Nothing exorbitantly fancy - just a table with clamps for registering prints, some screens, all the chemical products needed to burn said screens, inks, and the other bits and pieces needed to produce my line. I would also use my funds to purchase supplies like t-shirts and paper for printing, and for fulfilling reward tiers.
Extra funds would go to more production! AKA, even more screens and supplies, which would be allowing me to produce more designs at once, instead of having to constantly be cleaning out screens. There are also plans to do a collaboration with Erin Latham, of The Petite Stegosaurus (whom I already collaborate with on our StegoKitty project) in order to produce a line of screenprinted pouches for Memento Cat. I would also like to produce patches for both lines; extra funds would allow me to pursue that.
Glad you asked! Rewards for this project start off simple and grow fabulously, as is the trend in the Kickstarters...
- A digital print of an original Memento Cat design! These will be printed by me on my fancy-dancy EPSON Artisan 400 printer. Note that these are NOT screenprinted by hand.
- A set of 5 Memento Cat magnets! I have been hand-stamping and assembling magnets for about 2 years now, as part of my previous merchandise endeavor, Mori Clark Illust Made, so I am well experienced in making these. Each magnet will feature its own little design on it, and each measures 1.25".
- A screen-printed Memento Cat original! Will most likely be printed on black paper in white ink, and will come signed by me and numbered. There will be a limited run of these prints, so secure yours by pledging and get in line first!
- T-shirts!! What this project is essentially all for. T-shirts will be black with white ink; exact brand is unknown at this time, but I am searching for something soft and amazing. Will come in a variety of sizes from S-2XL; if you need something outside of that range, let me know and as a backer, you will definitely receive one.
- For going the extra mile and donating $150 USD, you'll also be essentially commissioning me to design you your own piece of Memento Cat merchandise, with your name on it and everything. Holy smokes.
- And of course, my eternal gratitude.
I set my target goal initially thinking that funding would be difficult to come across - thankfully, I was proven wrong by everyone's generosity! Now I am looking into expanding my initial business with some very much needed equipment, namely a flash dryer to help cure the t-shirt inks. Your additional contributions will help make Memento Cat less of a scrappy operation, and more professional - leading to an even better product.
To accomplish this additional fundraising, I have set some stretch goals:
- Once we reach $900 funded, which will allow me to purchase a flash dryer for my studio, I will offer screenprinted patches to all donors at the $25 dollar level and above! These will be cute, small-ish denim patches with the Memento Cat logo cat on it! Sew them onto your jackets or bags, or just keep it around as a souvenir.
- And at $1100 funded, I'll be able to unleash Memento Cat stickers!!! I plan on ordering these through Sticker Robot - an awesome website that really makes great stickers. (Acid Cats ordered theirs through them, and they look like brand new after being on my car's bumper for about a year now, so they're serious stuff.) These will go out free to all reward tiers!!
Risks and challenges
The biggest risk facing this project would be simply failure: that even with the proper supplies and effort, the prints themselves simply turn up bunk and unworthy to ship. In that instance, I would substitute in at the original screenprint level TWO high-quality digital prints of the same size. For t-shirts, I would turn to my friends at Terminus Tees to get the shirts printed for y'all. Either way, the backers WILL receive their rewards - I promise.
The other big risk would be myself and simply not getting the designs done, but I am fairly confident that won't be an issue for two reasons. One, is that I am genuinely excited for this project!! Two, is that I have created this Kickstarter as a way to motivate me along - I want to hear from you at this stage in the creative process, instead of just working on this all by my lonesome.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (28 days)