About this project
No Monster No is not our attempt to solely teach a lesson or moral, it’s our attempt to tell an entertaining story that tickles the child-like imagination and embraces nonsense. Every story has a beginning, middle and end; as a natural result of storytelling, the three sections should collectively embrace a moral naturally. Thus, we focusing primarily on creating a great story, such as No Monster No, and let the moral(s) create itself. There are enough good picture books on the market that force life lessons and "preach" a kid to boredom, but there aren't enough that solely incubate the imagination and embrace nonsense; somehow, nonsense and imagination always find a way to send just the right message to just the right person and just the right time.
No Monster No is told by rhyming to the word, “no," making it fun to read and easy to sing (if you're into making random songs). We thought it would be a great catalyst for the titles that will follow, and people seem to have an absolute blast screaming, “No Monster No,” as loud as their lungs allow.
However, for educators and parents, some lessons include [not limited to]:
- Anti-Bullying: Exploring a new answer toward bullying that doesn't end with the bullied become an aggressor or bully themselves - but a friend. Many bullies project the lifestyle, neglect and pains they know. But exploring a friendlier approach may be the ultimate answer...
- Perspective: Seeing a side of the story from someone else's point of view. In our case, Joey's (the monster).
- Characterization: The distinctive nature or features of Joey, Sarah and the other characters within the story.
- False Judging: Being careful who you pre-judge; you could miss out on having a great friend. Addressing and defeating our fears. What are you afraid of and how can you overcome it?
- Group Discussion/analysis: Is Joey a monster or is he Sarah's imaginary friend? Creating your own monster/imaginary friend.
***Here are the first four pages...
Why not ONLY make it digital?
Physical books are like event tickets to past experiences. With all its wear over time, It becomes a physical reminder of where you were, who you were and what you were doing when you gave it its first read. Sure, there will be a time when it may be forgotten or tucked away, but in those instances when someone comes over and takes a glance at your bookshelf, or when you look through old things to reminisce, that physical book will be there like a dear old friend. You either reintroduce it to yourself or you introduce it for the first time to someone else with a warm smile. Yes, we are making really cool digital versions of 'No Monster No!,' but we see digital versions of Picture Books as companions or extra limbs to the physical. Call us unorthodox, radical or even idiosyncratic, but we see picture books as quality fine art; if you've never thought of them that way, just give us a chance to show you with our own work by making a pre-ordered pledge. Be the first to experience it for yourself.
When I was a little boy, I LOVED Dr. Seuss. And as the new apps on tablet devices are visually and conceptually stunning, nothing is quite like holding that small physical copy of Green Eggs and Ham. The mere nostalgia gained from holding it sparks great memories of being on my Mom's lap as she read it and Oh, The Places You'll Go. That, in our opinion, is an experience every child should have and a memory every adult should possess.
Illustrated with Fabric!?!?
Yes. Most books are made with acrylic paint, watercolor paint, oil or digital colors (think animated cartoons etc); however, we decided to leave them all and go for something very familiar yet very different to picture books - FABRIC! No, the pages of the book are not made of fabric, as that would increase the target price of the book tremendously. As such a book is on our future radar, No Monster No is solely illustrated with fabric [and ink] via vivid illustrations printed on top grade, premium quality paper. We wanted to raise the adorable factor of the book and create a closeness with it much like your favorite stuffed animal or blanket. Picture books aren't just books to us, they are a unique form of art that appeals to the adults who read them and children who enjoy them.
Our Stance on Design.
We believe that great products require great design, and that changing the world begins by experiencing the world from a child’s point of view. Thus, we aim to merge our beliefs by packaging and delivering picture books, and other youth related items, through the eyes of modern detail, style and design. Picture Books like No Monster No, and any other youth-related item that you can experience and/or hold, can be just as cool to the modern adult through careful design. No Monster No is our attempt at making a picture book just as stylish as fashion, art and photography books found in the 'fancy' sections of bookstores. Why? Because everyone’s inner-child, regardless of their age, deserves the same quality.
With your help in getting No Monster No funded, we surely don't plan on stopping there. Every pledge counts.
What is Moodi Studios? Who are you exactly?
Snippet from our website: Moodi Studios is a privately held California-based lifestyle company who produces childhood nostalgia through literature, entertainment and lifestyle-based products. Founded in 2012 by JQ Sirls, a multifaceted creator and youth-speaker, the company developed from his frustration of parents and adults who’ve lost touch with their inner-child, yet blame everything else for why children are growing up so fast. No Monster No is the company's first picture book and launching product. Us making the world a happier place begins with No Monster No! We need your help - make a pledge today!
Isn't this your SECOND try at getting No Monster No funded through Kickstarter?
If at first you don't succeed - brush it off, pull your chin up and try again. I believe in this, the whole Moodi team believes in this and we KNOW that when you hold this book for the first time and smile massively from the story, you will understand why we chose NOT to give up.
Where will the money go if I pledge?
- Bulk printing! We want 100% of the best quality we can give and the majority of the funds will go toward wowing you with it's 10x10inch gorgeousness!
- The "Presentation." Being that we are a creative think-tank, many of the costs associated with marketing are already in-house! However, we want the books to shine bright within libraries, trade-shows, school visits and bookstores.
- Fulfilling those awesome rewards we promised you.
Is there more to create for the book?
The book is completely illustrated, written, edited and ready to go! With you help, we are trying to make sure we can publish it in-house as well. As we could have gone to a major publisher to have No Monster No immediately available nationwide/worldwide, we decided to sacrifice quantity over quality and become an in-house publisher. We want to take creative risks that larger companies would not dare take or allow.
Just because the book is completed doesn't mean we're just sitting around either! Secretly, we're creating hidden rewards alongside the ones we have listed and working hard at making No Monster No even better. No Monster No is the first of many books featuring Sarah & Joey, but we can not move forward with anything (or the surprises) until we reach our kickstarter goal!
If we should pass our funding goal:
Our stretch goals (should we pass our $7,800) will be toward:
- A book tour, starting with a midwest tour through St. Louis, Kansas City and Chicago. Visit every school, local bookstore and library that will have us and rock-out with kids in the process.
- Print more books - of course.
- Build stronger visual presentation.
I WANT TO HELP! Now what?
THANK YOU!!! We believe firmly that you are going to love the book. Here are some ideas to help:
- Make a pledge. If we don't reach $7,800 by Nov 19th, we get nothing and the book does not go into print. Yes, that means if we raise $7,799.99 by Nov 19th... Nothing. Ziltch. Nada. Zero. (you get the point).
- Tell Your Friends Part 1: SOCIAL MEDIA. Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, Instagram & Vine. If you have a login and followers/friends, let them know.
- Tell Your Friends Part 2: EMAIL. Do you know a parent, a kid-at-heart, a teacher, a school, a librarian, artist or enthusiast? Please let them know! Many have no idea what Kickstarter is and we need you help to share this project and inform them of the awesomeness that is No Monster No. (use the pledge info-graphic below if needed)
- Tell Your Friends Part 2: Coincidental Conversation. If you are a supporter of our project, that means you're someone who still believes in the good old fashion face-to-face conversation (so we hope). In all of our research and education on communication, nothing is more sincere than face-to-face interaction. So please, share our project with those closest to you in your day-to-day interaction. If you believe and support, then they are sure to believe and support too.
Here are what a few rewards look like...
We too, will Kick It Forward.
Risks and challenges
Our one and only challenge is making sure the manufacturer meets our given deadline for mass production. Our standards are high and we want you to have a version of the book better than we would have our own. Should delays occur, we may have to push the delivery time back. We promise to always update you on the flow of time.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (41 days)