About this project
"Collectible Monster" stories rock. I grew up with a huge love of the genre and devoured dozens of iterations of it from Pokemon, to Digimon, to the more recent Yo-Kai watch. This genre is absolutely epic and Lonesomes is my effort to engage it from a Western perspective with a thematic core that's entirely its own.
Everyone experiences loneliness at some point or another. I've noticed that even though loneliness is so universal, there isn't much that teaches you how to face it. That's where Lonesomes comes in.
Lonesomes tells the story of mystical creatures called Lonesomes that are drawn to a person's unique loneliness.
Being lonely isn't easy, which is why this story tackles it head on by combining that complicated feeling with the whimsical world of the "collectible monster genre". ( Pokemon, Digimon, Monster Rancher, etc)
In issue 1 a mysterious lonesome revealed itself to Tom after one particularly lonely day.
Now the two set off for an adventure that will carry them through both the lore of the mysterious lonesome world and the depths of Tom's feelings. Despite all the heavy narrative themes, the story will retain all the fun tropes of the collectible monster genre, including new enemies
And new forms!
These narrative elements are an absolute joy to embrace and engage, but Lonesomes is an American comic. That's why I made sure to embrace the best of both worlds when I conceived and executed this story.
Lonesomes is built on the traditions and tropes those games/shows created, but lives and breathes in the world I created in a way that's entirely unique from other video games and animes that are part of this genre.
Although the book is completed, I think it needs to be physically printed for readers to fully embrace the thematic elements.This is a story about confronting your loneliness. A book like that isn't meant to be read alone on your iPad. It's meant to be printed so you can read it, share it, and engage that feeling with others. Kickstarter allowed me to breath life into issue one which is why I'd like to use the platform again.
- $5 Digital Monsters - You'll receive a digital copy of Lonesomes #2 immediately following the successful completion of this campaign.
- $6 All the Digital Monsters - You'll receive a digital copy of Lonesomes #1 AND #2 immediately following the successful completion of this campaign.
- $8 Collectible Monsters - Here's where the getting starts getting good. You'll receive a hard copy of Lonesomes #2 signed by writer Ryan Little.
- $14 The Whole Story - This book is all about facing loneliness head on. Get the entire adventure this far with hard copies of Lonesomes #1 and #2 bagged, boarded, and signed by writer Ryan Little.
- $20 Another Kind of Monster - Monsters come in all sizes. Get a hard copy of Lonesomes #2 and a hard copy of Writer Ryan Little's Kaiju comic Monster of the Week #1!
- $25 All the Monsters - Get all the Monsters you can handle with hard copies of Lonesomes #1 and #2 plus a hard copy of Monster of the Week #1. That's over 70 pages of comics!
- $35 All By Your Lonesome Early Bird - Take home a Lonesome of your very own with an original Lonesome sketched onto a blank variant cover by upcoming artist August Many. You'll also receive a hard copy of Lonesomes #2 with the standard cover.
- $45 All By Your Lonesome - Take home a Lonesome of your very own with an original Lonesome sketched onto a blank variant cover by upcoming artist August Many. You'll also receive a hard copy of Lonesomes #2 with the standard cover.
- $75 Find Your Lonesome - Create a lonesome of your very own along with writer Ryan Little who will be featured in Lonesomes #3! You'll also receive hard copies of Lonesomes #1 and #2!
Ryan has been publishing comics for the last two years in anthologies such as Alterna Press' Steam Punk Originals, Santa's Favorite Tales, and, most recently, Death Saves. His focus is on high concept, amblin-esq adventures that combine a sense of emotional realism with a hefty dose of grandeur. Twitter.
Eder Messias is a Brazillian artist who began work in 2012 with the 250 page graphic novel Assassin and Son. In 2014 he draw Family Secret and five editions of Eon Quest for Space Goat Agency. Eder's art continues to make appearances in various comic books and commissions.
Fahriza Kamaputra was born in 1983 and raised in southern Jakarta. Fahriza grew up immersed in comic books and video games which kept his interest even after finishing school and studying Information Technology at college. It was this interest and the inspiration of other great artists in Indonesia that he decided to follow his dreams to do concept art, comics and film work by training himself with the help of friends to become an artist. In 2010 he worked as colorist on a local comic book "Vienetta and the Stupid Aliens" which led to his work on the web comic "Rokki",Boston Metaphysical Society with the studio STELLAR LABS, His past works are Witchblade by Topcow comics, Mind The Gap by Image Comics, Batman Superman Annual and Deathstroke by DC comics.
August is a rising Los Angeles based artist who's work most recently includes the "Useless" anthology, creator owned series Aminal Man, and designing lonesomes for Lonesomes issue 3. He has maintained a focus on traditional art methods using physical mediums which makes him the perfect person to be creating original lonesomes on your sketch variant covers.
CHECK OUT THE FIRST 8 PAGES BELOW!
Risks and challenges
Lonesomes #2 will mark my third full self published comic in addition to three years of being published in various anthologies. I am well acquainted with the challenges of putting out a creative work --
Which is why we finished the book before launching the project. The challenge now is raising the funds to have the book physically printed to allow readers to share the book and truly interact with the thematic elements.
Printers handle the hard work, which is why I selected RA Comics Direct. Their team is incredibly professional and I know they can fill our order in a timely manner. They're based in the US and have a standard of excellence when it comes to delivering books on time.
The book is all set and, upon the successful completion of this campaign, it will be printed and in my hands within two weeks.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)