We thought it was time for a beautifully illustrated money book for little ones with big imaginations.
So we made one and now we need your support to bring it to life!
Are you interested in raising a money savvy child without having to read a boring money book?
We've got you covered!
THE MISSING MONEY is a colorfully illustrated children's book about a thoughtful little boy named, Kai who learns the basics of money in a playful children's story.
We believe that it's never too early (or too late!) to introduce your little ones to money basics. We created the Money Monsters book series to bring you a fun and age-appropriate way to introduce these topics to the little ones in your life!
Kai Akana is your typical little boy. He is thoughtful and brave in his own way. He has big dreams and an even bigger imagination. In THE MISSING MONEY Kai receives a cash gift (YAY!) from his grandmother but soon "loses" his money to what he believes is a Money Monster. Kai musters up all his courage and creates a plan to save his money. Luckily, before Kai commits a potential crime, his mother sits him down to explain what happened to his money. Through this adventure Kai learns some important money basics the basics of banking, saving and modern banking technology.
I was humbled to find an amazing illustrator, Sandhya Prahbat, to create the pictures and the Money Monsters world. She hand painted and digitally rendered a series of dynamic, fun and interesting images that bring Kai's adventure to life for your little one's reading pleasure. You can learn more about Sandhya at http://www.sandhyaprabhat.com/
- Engaging storytelling: Engages children aged 3-6 in an adventure-driven full color illustrated storybook while teaching them necessary money basics.
- Teaches basic financial literacy AND modern money concepts: The world of money is every changing and it be hard to explain this newfangled technology in easy to understand terms. THE MISSING MONEY will help children understand the connection between traditional cash concepts and modern money technology.
- Develops diversity awareness: You'll appreciate the multi-ethnic characters that will expose your children to a story centering a family of color. (Bonus: You'll also be supporting the women of color team behind this project... that's us!)
- Encourages bravery, problem-solving and communication: Kai's choices in the story will encourage young readers to be brave when facing unexpected events, make plans to overcome challenges and communicate with grown-ups when dealing with their troubles.
- Includes key terms and conversation starters: To aid parents, educators and caregivers who wish to use the book as an educational tool and increase comprehension of the lessons within the story we've included some key terms and conversation starters at the end of the book.
I can think of no better gift for the little ones in your life than the gift of basic money confidence, but don't take our word for it here's what real parents are saying...
- I read this book with my 4 year old daughter and we both loved it. It gave me the perfect platform to discuss important things that we (sadly) had not yet talked about, specifically saving, banks, money, and another way to save beyond her piggy bank... By discussing these topics with my daughter, I realized that she would love to go to the bank with me and is interested in opening an account. Thanks for writing this book and for the series on such an important issue and giving me a platform to start the discussion now (instead of later)! ~ Tina L. Izadi, lawyer, business owner, avid reader, and mom (who is passionate about empowering her daughter and giving her a healthy relationship with money)
- Money Monsters makes money matters approachable and fun for both children and parents. The interwoven nods to Kai's multiethnic family did not go unnoticed in our biracial household. Mommy and Edith (4yo) loved Money Monsters!" ~ Kim Frusciante- educator, entrepreneur, and mother of 2
- The story is easy for young children to relate to as they view the world differently...Overall, I loved the story and would recommend. There are not many stories for children about money. It is needed. ~Shionka McGlory - Mocha Books founder and mother of 2
- This was the perfect book to start talking to my son who is 3.5, about money. The illustrations were colorful and whimsical and kept my son wanting to stop on each page and ask about everything. The language was perfect and age appropriate. ~ Sabrina, coffee lover and WAHM of 2 boys #boymom for life
- From the eye popping colors, to the incredible illustrations, your imagination is ignited the minute you open the book. This story is beautifully written and does an incredible job opening up topics of money management in an easy to understand method for children. As a parent, I really appreciated the conversation starters included, because it’s never too soon to begin preparing your children to be responsible in all aspects of life. This book just went to the top of my list for ‘must have children’s items. ~ Kinsey Dulaney, content creator, mom and speech-language pathologist
- From the moment my son saw the vivid illustration on the cover of this book, he wanted to know what it was about. His favorite part was where the child makes a plan to rescue his money from the money monster (ATM). I loved the conversation starter questions at the end, my son is not usually much of a talker but he was very engaged and liked discussing the book, and showed he really "got" the lessons from the story. I would highly recommend this to any parent who's struggling to show their kids the value of putting their money in a bank, and how you can "check up" on your money using FinTech tools like a banking app. ~ Autumn, lawyer, book lover and mother of 3, ages 7, 7, 3
THE MISSING MONEY is ready to be sent to the printer and with your support we will be able to get these books printed.
In addition to a (ginormous!) thank you for your support in getting the book printed, we have created several reward levels for backing my campaign. These limited edition rewards include:
- a set of six (6) Money Mastery Badge stickers to encourage positive money moves such as earning, saving, giving and investing.
- a set of four (4) Money Mindset affirmation cards to share with your child and develop a positive mindset around money
- the Classroom sets include a set of Money Mantra pencils to help children write their own money futures! (which we'll include in everyone's bundle if we reach our $9000 reach goal below!)
We have some additional rewards in the works that we will unlock IF we hit the following stretch goals:
Where are we now? The text, illustrations and page layout of the book are in the final editing stages. As soon as we raise enough money, the book will be sent to the printer then shipped and sent to you!
If you haven't used Kickstarter before, don't fret! It's easy! Just choose the reward you would like in the rewards section of this page and follow to pay. I will request your address after my campaign has finished. This is an ALL OR NOTHING campaign. Your credit card will only be charged if I make my goal!
If you are unable to support this project financially, you can still help by spreading the word - any and all support is greatly appreciated!
Follow along on the journey @finkidlit
The books will be printed at Print Ninja https://www.printninja.com/
Hey, there! I'm Okeoma Moronu a corporate finance attorney, mother of two and former teacher. I graduated from Columbia Law School in 2011 with over $200,000 in student loans and I am proud to say that I have since paid off those loans. In the process of becoming debt free I became quite the personal finance nerd.
My hope is that the Money Monsters series will create opportunities for parents, teachers, and educators to have money conversations with children that will spark an interest and develop a curiosity, comfort and confidence that will last a lifetime.
Thank you so much for your support from my family to yours...
Risks and challenges
The risk is relatively small. The book has already been written and illustrated. The page files are complete. If I get enough backers, I’ll be able to justify a production run.
Of course, the project, like all human endeavors, is still vulnerable to all the problems that Lady Fortuna may put in our path (postal service strikes, acts of god, wrinkles in the time-space continuum, etc.).
I assure you, this project will get my almost-full attention until the books arrive safely to your front door. Stick with me.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (36 days)