Fall is nearly here, and hopefully the hot weather is on the way out. So let's dive right into the giant pile of leaves that is this month's update!
WHAT DID YOU WORK ON?
- Added backer characters
- Created custom animations for new characters
- Wrote and implemented new dialogue around backer characters
- Improved mini game using robot arm.
- Back-plottted story elements based on late-game events
- Finalized environment layout
- Created custom character animations for opening
- Animated cutscenes
- Added VFX such as rain, lightning, and rain drop splashes
- Added backer characters
- Finished writing and refining dialogue
- Expanded Starting section to add backer character and hint at later story elements
- Created Spine animations for new characters added to scene
- Completed interactive cinematics with player choices
- Created custom story driven minigame
- Fixed draw order issues ( this took a while as the level is quite big )
- Designed and implemented extra spooky section of forest with glowing mushroom eyes
- Completed overall environment layout
- Added additional interactions to navigate through scene
- Designed, Illustrated, and laid out Jenny’s family home
- Modified police officer design, added animations and placed backer character in scene
- Illustrated over 50 new custom elements for important story moments
- Setup dynamic lighting for dark and lit states
- Started setup of custom mini games
- Wrote and illustrated a book that is pivotal to the story
- Refined specific ending sequence. We've known the ending for a while how we wanted this volume to end, but we refined the exact sequence of events, which is much easier now that the rest of the story is more locked in.
- Refined controller input to try to further unify controls across game modes
- Started adding keyboard customization options in settings menu
- Improved checkpoint and save system.
- Fixed a few bugs along the way
- Started backend setup to record player choices
- Setup weighting scores for detective personality types
- Did LOTS of this
SO WHAT'S LEFT TO DO?
- Basement: Finish layout, dialogue and cutscenes
- Lake Bridge: Animate dialogue interaction and custom mini game
- Old Graveyard: Fix draw orders and finalize environment art including illustrating a few custom elements
- Hidden Stairs: Finish building mini game to unlock entrance. Finish animating dialogue sequence
- Sewers: Finalized dialogue and character animations. Tweak layout
- Ending: Design and create additional ending environment. Write final dialogue. Animate custom cutscenes. Add ending author scene.
- Sound design: This remains a big todo… we may bring on someone else to help with this
- Beta-testing: Alpha/Beta backers, we'll be sending out a small build for testing in the next two months or so. So keep an eye out on your inboxes and Twitter!
- Playtesting & Polishing
- ██████ testing: More on this mysterious redacted item in a future update! =]
- Many odds and ends
There’s two other things I wanted to mention before ending this upate.
1. I am now doing bi-monthly updates until the launch as this gives me more time to work on the game, and less annoying posts for you. If you want more frequent updates, you can follow along on Facebook and Twitter.
2. We are starting to get closer to launch, and so I’ve brought an indie PR team onboard to help us figure out and navigate release planning and marketing efforts for launch. We want to have the best shot we can at a successful launch, and getting professional help and advice is part of that process.
Thank you again for your patience and support, really hoping you’ll love what we’re putting together. Alright, I’ve got to get back to work! Until next time super sleuths!
Lastly, we have our...
What is your favorite mystery series/movie/book/game?