About this project
"Know, oh prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars..."
YOU CAN STILL JOIN IN! If you missed out click here to join the Kickstarter through Paypal or Card via our webstore.
ROBERT E. HOWARD’S CONAN: ADVENTURES IN AN AGE UNDREAMED OF is a brand new roleplaying game based on the incredible character of Conan and of the Hyborian age.
We ran this Kickstarter to help fund one of the biggest line ups of major artists ever for a roleplaying game. Each book is a beautiful high quality hard cover book featuring a major commissioned cover art by one of the legendary names we have assembled along with truly authentic and evocative content by industry veterans and newcomers...
"Tread the jeweled thrones of the earth or die in towers of spider-haunted mystery. Crom cares not!"
...all under the watchful eye of world-renowned Conan experts and scholars including Jeffrey Shanks, Patrice Louinet and Mark Finn, working together to bring you the most authentic Conan roleplaying experience yet, focusing exclusively on Robert E. Howard’s original stories.
Featuring Modiphius’ 2d20 game system, also seen in the Mutant Chronicles, Infinity, and John Carter Warlord of Mars RPGs. Try it out!
You can still join in with either bank cards or Paypal. All totals raised in Paypal will help unlock goals after the Kickstarter closes.
Conan has a long history in the roleplaying world dating as far back as the first TSR modules and following Boxed set. Conan Properties has kindly offered our backers access to the d20 Conan PDF's. Whilst our team focuses solely on Robert E. Howard's writings—under the guidance of a team of Conan scholars led by Jeffrey Shanks—we value the immense history of Conan in both literature and games. Mōdiphiüs is therefore pleased to offer that history to our Conan Kickstarter Backers!
Watch out for new goals being unveiled every time we unlock a Stretch Goal and the special Blessings of Mitra at every £100,000! Pledges of £60 and upwards gain these bonuses (£40 PDF Master gets the digital versions only)
We've also announced:
- A cross-over book for the World of Kull - King of Atlantis is in the works for 2017 - check out the full details here.
- A cross-over book for the Age of Conan MMO by Funcom - read more details here
- A cross-over book for the Monolith Conan board game has been UNLOCKED so it's available as a £15 Add On and included in PDF and Print in the relevant pledges. Read more here.
- The Conan Exiles cross-over book with Funcom's new survival game Conan Exiles has been announced which will co-developed with the award winning Mutant: Year Zero team who will work on the community building rules.
We'll be unlocking some bonuses through the campaign and will list them here. Help us unlock more Blessings of Mitra through social media goals!
- A Double-sided map of the Hyborian Age and the Brom cover art for Pledges including the Blessings of Mitra.
- Digital Wallpapers
- Form-fillable Character Sheet
- Pre-gens FREE Download PDF - Classic Conan Heroes as Pre-generated characters including: Conan, Balthus, Zelata, Shevatas, Valeria, Khmesa, Olgerd, Old Gorm, Belit, Ageera, Nestor, Amalric, Hadrathus, Tananda, Taurus, Prospero, Strom, Yasmina, N'Yaga, Kherim Shah, Tutmekri, Baal-Pteor, Tascela, Murilo
- Roll20 Support
- d20 to 2d20 Conversion Guide
- Bonus set of Conan d20 PDF's for Pledges containing 'all the pdfs'
- Online Character Generator & GM Tools Suite Apps
- A set of bonus adventures in PDF
You can help unlock more by re-tweeting this Tweet: http://bit.ly/Conan-RPG or Liking our Facebook page or Sharing the Project page above.
The core rulebook for Robert E. Howard’s Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of is a 368 page full colour hardcover book containing everything you’ll need to adventure in the world of Robert E. Howard’s hero, Conan. It is based entirely on the canonical Conan stories, and uses the 2D20 system developed by Modiphius and used in Mutant Chronicles 3rd Edition, Infinity, John Carter Warlord of Mars and other fine games. This tome presents character generation, the game’s rules, and a wealth of source material, including cultures, geography, religions, magic, gods, monsters, gamemastering advice, adventure seeds, and much more. This work has been developed by an all-star writing team, with close involvement by respected Robert E. Howard authorities, and is illustrated by world-renowned Conan artists.
All the supplements will also be in beautiful full colour hardback and describe the world in additional detail, presenting different styles of play from the phases of Conan’s saga... Thief, Barbarian, Mercenary, Pirate, the Unknown East, Brigand, Kingdoms of the South, Scout... and King. Other books will explore sorcery, monsters and demons, nameless cults, secret societies and fighting orders, distant lands, ancient ruins, and lost cities. The game line will be supported with a wide range of ready-to-play adventures and campaigns spanning the breadth of Conan’s world.
The 2d20 system is a dynamic, narrative system, designed to produce varied and interesting results from dramatic and action-packed situations. Characters roll two d20s, attempting to roll as low as possible on each one – the more dice that roll low, the more successes the character scores.You can download the Quickstart complete with introductory rules, adventure and pre-generated characters from DriveThruRPG
Watch Conan being played playtested last year in Robert E Howard's very own house by Jeffrey Shanks, Mark Finn and other illustrious guests!
This video is an excerpt from: A Riddle of Steel: The Definitive History of Conan the Barbarian - FauxPop Media’s deep dive into the past, present and future of Robert E. Howard’s legendary adventurer king. Check in with their Facebook page for ongoing updates.
In 1932 Robert E. Howard created CONAN, the greatest character in pulp adventure, changing fantasy fiction forever. The first Conan story was “The Phoenix on the Sword”, and in it he leapt to savage life. Many stories followed quickly after, mere glimpses into a saga like no other hero had lived. Barbarian and thief, pirate and brigand, mercenary and scout... Conan was all of these things. Read more about Conan here.
"You have, no doubt, heard tell of Conan... the barbarian who stole a kingdom with his red-stained sword-hand and crowned himself in iron... but the Hyborian Age knew many heroes... and Their tales are yet to be told..."
We have one of the greatest line ups ever for a roleplaying game including many legendary artists who have assembled for this grand task!
- Brom (Dark Sun, Magic: The Gathering, Alternity, Forgotten Realms, Planescape, Deadlands)
- Cary Nord (Eisner Award winner for Conan the Barbarian for Dark Horse, Marvel and DC; Daredevil, X-Men, Wolverine, and Superman, Valiant's X-O Manowar)
- Sanjulian (Conan Ace Paperbacks, Vampirella, Eerie, Creepy)
- Carl Critchlow (Batman/Judge Dredd, Anderson: Psi Division)
- Simon Bisley (Slaine, Lobo, Batman and Heavy Metal, Conan the Savage and Conan the Avenger)
- Justin Sweet (Game of Thrones, The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian film, and Magic: The Gathering, Kull: Exile of Atlantis)
- Joe Jusko (John Carter titles Warlord of Mars and Dejah Thoris, as well as Heavy Metal, Vampirella, and the Marvel Masterpieces trading cards)
- Ken Kelly (Robert E. Howard covers for Berkley and Tor, Eerie, Creepy and Vampirella for Warren magazines)
- Paolo Parente (Dark Horse, Dust, Rackham, Magic: The Gathering, Mutant Chronicles, Monolith's Conan, Lord of the Rings RPG)
- Aleksi Briclot (Mage, Vampire, C.O.P.S., Conan: Road of Kings)
- Val Mayerik (Marvel's Conan the Barbarian and the Savage Sword of Conan, Brak the Barbarian, Throngor, The Living Mummy, Man-Thing and Eeerie, Dungeons & Dragons, Magic: The Gathering and Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay)
- Daren Bader (Magic The Gathering, World of Warcraft, Pathfinder RPG, Art Director for Rockstar San Diego on Red Dead Redemption)
- Liam Sharp (Judge Dredd, X-Men, Hulk & Spider-Man for Marvel, Superman & Batman for DC Comics and Spawn: The Dark Ages for Todd McFarlane, Fran Frazetta's Death Dealer, Red Sonja: One More Day)
- Mark Schultz (The Coming of Conan, Xenozoic Tales, Prince Valiant)
- Tim Truman (Dark Horse Conan, Grimjack, Jonah Hex)
- Phroilan Gardner (Age of Conan, World of Warcraft)
- Alex Horley (Blizzard, Heavy Metal, Magic: The Gathering)
- Tomas Giorello (Conan The Cimmerian, King Conan, 2013 Robert E. Howard Foundation Award for Artistic Achievement)
- Esteban Maroto (Conan Ace paperback illustrations, Savage Sword of Conan, Red Sonja, Eerie, Creepy and Vampirella)
- Tom Grindberg (Conan, Savage Sword of Conan, Conan Saga, Judge Dredd, ERB's Back to the Stone Age)
- Jose Villarrubia, one of the top colorists in the business (various Dark Horse Conan titles including the award-winning King Conan, Alan Moore's Promethea, Dynamite's Red Sonja, and many more)
- Giogio Baroni (Dust Adventures, Achtung! Cthulhu)
- Jose Esteras (Conan Roleplaying Game, Infinity Roleplaying Game, Airfix Battles)
- PLUS: Jorge Barrero, Josh Hass & Michael Syrigos
We have some great bonuses built in to the pledge levels.
- Each pledge of £7.50 and above comes with your name in the credits.
- Pledges of £60 and above give access to the Blessings of Mitra (the £40 PDF Masters gets these in PDF). Blessings of Mitra unlock cool extras for these pledges.
- Everyone at £15 and above gets access to a special download pack: Age of Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed of Pack. This gets you 5 XP Potions (double XP gain for 12 hours) and four powerful starter armor sets (Swashbuckler, Buccaneer, Marauder and Pirate) for use in Age of Conan: Unchained.
- Hoard of Yezdigerd, Secrets of Yishma and Treasure Of Tranicos can swap their Conqueror's Edition core book for one of these options: 1) Three Player's Guides in print OR 2) a bundle of dice: 16 Phoenix d20's, 12 Combat d6, 5 Hit Location Dice OR 3) Two printed geomorphic tile sets of your choice (remember Secret's & Treasure's Pledges already get these).
- Hoard of Yezdigerd, Secrets of Yishma and Treasure Of Tranicos now get every book in print for 2 years from the date the core book ships!
- All pledges above £1 now get a d20 to 2d20 Conversion Guide
- All pledges with 'all the unlocked books in PDF' now get the Conan d20 PDF's thanks to Conan Properties
CROM! PLEDGE. This includes a Wyrmwood a limited edition, individually numbered Kickstarter exclusive. This Custom Tabletop Dice Tray and Dice Vault is handcrafted from Ironwood & Bloodwood inlay with Steel stringing. A stone-oiled, water buffalo hide rolling surface is engraved with our Phoenix on the Sword design. The Dice Vault holds up to 10 dice, and is engraved with the Conan logo.
Here's a guide how to pledge and choose Add Ons.
Each Stretch Goal will unlock new Add On's and we'll be unveiling more during the course of the campaign. To select any Add On just increase your pledge total by the cost of the Add On - see the guide above for more info.
D20 Phoenix Dice - In the pledge manager you will be able to select single d20 dice at £2 each.
Gamesmaster Screen PDF - This is included in pledges with the PDF Subscription but if you do not have access to the PDF Subscription you can add it (and the 32 page bonus booklet containing a great plot generator) for £10.
*Please note you can only take the PDF Subscription Upgrade with Pledges of £40 or higher.
Please note the shipping costs in the Pledge Calculator will be in fluxx for the Hoard, Secrets and Treasure Pledges until all the books are unlocked as each book adds to the weight of the shipments.
The first wave of books and accessories will be ready to ship in July, then a second wave in December and a final wave in March. Here is an estimate on what items will be ready to ship when to help you decide if you will want one or more shipments. We will update this list as the Stretch Goals confirm and reveal books.
Print Subscription: As we unlock books, they move in to these shipping waves. If they remain locked then they will be produced in 2017 and pledges with Print Subscriptions can request shipments or collect the books at conventions or our office.
Wave 1 - July
- Conan RPG Core Book
- Conqueror's Edition
- Player's Guide
- Gamesmaster Screen
- Conan the Thief Supplement
- Conan the Barbarian Supplement
- Conan the Mercenary Supplement
- Jeweled Thrones of the Earth Adventures
- The Book of Skelos Sourcebook
- All Dice & Tokens
- All Geomorphic Tile Sets
- Conqueror's Bag
- Stygian Doom Pit
- Satin & Printed Poster Maps
Wave 2 - December
- Conan the Pirate Sourcebook
- Conan the Brigand Sourcebook
- Conan the Wanderer Sourcebook (was 'Mysterious East')
- Conan the Adventurer Sourcebook
- Conan the Scout Sourcebook
- Conan the King Sourcebook
- Beasts of the Hyborian Age Sourcebook
- Nameless Cults Sourcebook
- Conan Board Game Sourcebook
- Ancient Ruins & Cursed Cities
- More books to be announced
- Card Decks
Wave 3 - March
- Other books yet to be announced
- Art Book (requires all covers and leading art to be compiled)
We like to support retailers through our Kickstarters and offer an attractive package. You can use the RETAILER pledge to make a deposit of £20 towards your order of a minimum of 6 core books at the usual wholesale pricing. After the Kickstarter we will contact you to see what other items you would like to add to your order but you only pay for your order when we are ready to ship. All books comes with their respective PDF's. We will require confirmation of retail ID.
Modiphius has scored a leading team of Hyborian Age scribes to chronicle these adventures including
- Timothy Brown (designer of the Dark Sun setting for Dungeons & Dragons)
- Jeffrey Shanks (award-winning Robert E. Howard scholar and essayist Conan Meets the Academy, REH: Two-Gun Raconteur, Critical Insights: Pulp Fiction, The Dark Man: The Journal of REH Studies, Zombies from the Pulps!),
- Jason Durall (Basic Roleplaying, Serenity, The Laundry, Achtung! Cthulhu, World War Cthulhu, A Game of Thrones RPG, The Lord of the Rings RPG, Supernatural, Silver Age Sentinels, Amber Diceless Roleplaying, and Lords of Gossamer & Shadow)
- Nathan Dowdell (Mutant Chronicles, Infinity, John Carter Warlord of Mars, Warhammer Rogue Trader RPG)
- Benn Beaton (Mutant Chronicles, Infinity, John Carter Warlord of Mars)
- Mark Finn (Blood and Thunder: The Life and Art of Robert E. Howard, The Barbaric Triumph, The Dark Man: The Journal of REH Studies)
- Vincent Darlage (Conan d20, Member of the Robert E. Howard United Press Association)
- Kevin Ross (writer, editor, and contributor to Cthulhu by Gaslight, Dead Reckonings, Escape from Innsmouth, H.P. Lovecraft’s Kingsport, Dwellers in Shadow, New Tales of the Miskatonic Valley, Call of Cthulhu Investigator’s Companion, The Dreaming Stone, and more)
- Chris Lites (Dust Adventures, Fragged Empire, Paizo, Savage Worlds, Omni, Slate)
- Lou Agresta (editor, developer, and designer of Razor Coast and Heart of the Razor)
- Scott Oden (best-selling author of Men of Bronze, Memnon, and The Lion of Cairo)
- Jeb Boyt (contributor to Blue Rose, Thrilling Tales, and other projects with Green Ronin, Adamant Entertainment, and Goodman Games)
- Jesse Scoble (author and contributor to Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, A Game of Thrones Roleplaying Game, Dreaming Cities, A Song of Ice & Fire Roleplaying, Silver Age Sentinels, and many others, and writer for computer games such as Armored Warfare, City of Heroes, and Wizard101)
- Mark Carroll (contributor to 7th Sea and World's Largest Dungeon, Green Ronin's Mutants & Masterminds, and Modiphius' John Carter Warlord of Mars)
- Anne Toole (contributor to Steamscapes: Asia and Rocket Age, and computer games such as The Witcher and Wizard101)
- Jennifer Baughman (contributor to World's Largest Dungeon, 7th Sea and John Carter Warlord of Mars)
- Miri Weaver (designer and developer on the Fallen Earth, Dexter, and Saturday Morning RPG CRPGs)
- Richard August (contributor to Small Mercy and Codex Infernus)
- Steffie de Vaan (contributor to Chill 3rd Edition, Promethean the Created 2nd Edition, Changeling the Lost 2nd Edition, Cavaliers of Mars, and Vampire: The Dark Ages 20th Anniversary Edition),
- Other writers include Elle Goff and Rachael Cruz with more still to be announced.
- Sally Christensen (Cortex Hackers Guide, Firefly RPG, Leverage Companions, Marvel Heroic) steps up as Line Editor to keep the rabble writing proper.
- Michal E. Cross our in-house designer will be handling the gorgeous layout fresh from completing the massive range of stunning Achtung! Cthulhu books.
Two leading scholars are helping ensure we stays true to the original stories;
Jeffrey Shanks, award-winning Robert E. Howard scholar and essayist (The Unique Legacy of Weird Tales, Conan Meets the Academy, REH: Two-Gun Raconteur, Critical Insights: Pulp Fiction, The Dark Man: The Journal of REH Studies, Zombies from the Pulps!) is approving all content, ensuring it remains true to Howard's vision.
Patrice Louinet, well known for his expertise and seal of approval for the Conan board game by Monolith, will be working alongside Jeffrey Shanks to ensure the Conan roleplaying game is of the highest standard. Patrice was Editor of the definitive, three-volume Conan series (from Del Rey Books (US), Wandering Star (UK) and Bragelonne (France). Awarded Lifetime Achievement award from the Howard Foundation (USA, 2014) and the Special Award from the Imaginales (France, 2012).
Modiphius is a family owned games publisher run by Chris & Rita Birch based in London that has produced 4 successful Kickstarters Achtung! Cthulhu, Mutant Chronicles, Thunderbirds Co-Operative Boardgame and Infinity. We also publish (or co-publish) the award winning Mutant: Year Zero, Dust Adventures, Mindjammer, Symbaroum and Fragged Empire. We have thousands of happy backers and customers and extensive experience of publishing high quality books and large ranges of accessories.
Later this year we will be announcing partnerships with other leading publishers to produce translations of the Conan roleplaying game in to different languages but these are not part of the Kickstarter.
If you're looking for some info and can't find it have a look through this summary of our updates during the campaign - it's at the bottom of our Product Line page
© 2016 Conan Properties International LLC (“CPI”). CONAN, CONAN THE BARBARIAN, HYBORIA and related logos, characters, names, and distinctive likenesses thereof are trademarks or registered trademarks of CPI). All rights reserved. ROBERT E. HOWARD and related logos, characters, names, and distinctive likenesses thereof are trademarks or registered trademarks of Robert E. Howard Properties LLC. All rights reserved.
Risks and challenges
With big projects like this there are lots of people involved. Writers, artists, editors, rules designers, layout artists, proof readers, logistics, finance, warehouses, and more. People often have problems - it's just part of life and this can cause delays. When this happens we do the best we can to help - moving workload to someone else, finding a replacement, getting more people involved, or moving things around in the schedule to allow them more time. Modiphius is a family owned company (Chris & Rita) and we know that most people working on games like this do it for the love, not the salaries so we work hard to make it as supportive an environment as possible.
There are always issues to deal with no matter how well you prepare - perhaps a supplier's moulds break and need several weeks to replace, perhaps a printer gets flooded destroying some stock they just spent a month printing, deliveries can go missing, data can be collected in such a way that it causes problems with fulfilment, and so on.
We have run 4 major Kickstarter's now so are familiar with a lot of the possible problems and do our best to prepare. Modiphius has expanded adding two people who help analyse data and plan logistics with the various companies we use to ship out our rewards across the world. We've learnt from our mistakes and taken steps to simplify how we run Kickstarters at every step possible.
Even so we allow more time 'just in case' and we work hard to ensure everyone queries are answered in a timely manner. Modiphius has one of the best reputations for customer service. When things do go wrong we are open and transparent. We try to find a fair solution for everyone.
You can check out out previous Kickstarters for Achtung! Cthulhu, Mutant Chronicles 3rd Edition Roleplaying Game and Thunderbirds Co-Operative Boardgame to see how happy people are with their rewards. We have completed shipping 12 books and lots of merchandising for Achtung! Cthulhu. Mutant Chronicles has had over 70% of shipments across 7 books with lots of accessories and a further 20% of pledges with 7 books have started shipping this month. The first shipment of Thunderbirds pledges shipped only 2 weeks late and the final shipment will be despatched the middle of next month.
With each of these projects we have a different team of writers, artists, editors and layout designers so one project's schedules (or delays) doesn't affect another. We also have many other games we have published (or co-published) including the award winning Mutant: Year Zero, Dust Adventures, Mindjammer, Fragged Empire and Symbaroum.
Conan has some particular issues we are bearing in mind:
- All products will need to be approved by Conan Properties LLC. We have a great relationship with them though, and they have loved everything we have done so far so I don't foresee any problems here. With Jeff Shanks involvement we are effectively ensuring everything we produce for Conan is about as true to the spirit of Robert E. Howard as possible.
- We're using major name artists for each of the main books in the line. They can have demanding schedules and if they are delayed delivering a book cover to us by a previous project over-running then that could affect the timetable. We do have a number of covers we're commissioning that could work for several different books, so in the event one cover is delayed we can likely substitute another cover in it's place by an equally amazing artist.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (33 days)