About this project
The Mutant Chronicles Kickstarter is a re-boot of the amazing techno-fantasy roleplaying game from the same team who produced the successful Achtung! Cthulhu Kickstarter and award winning game designer Jay Little.
You can still join the Kickstarter! Click on this link to benefit from all the great deals.
Stretch Goals will still be broken with post Kickstarter Pledges and there will be new Add On's announced! Join in while you can!
We funded the 400 page full colour hard cover Mutant Chronicles: Dark Symmetry core rule & setting book with cover by Wayne Reynolds along with 10 Guides (Mishima, Bauhaus, Capitol, Imperial, Cybertronic, Whitestar, The Brotherhood, Luna & Freelancers, Cartel & Orbitals, Heretics & Mutants), the Dark Symmetry Campaign, The Dark Soul & Apostles Guide, Dark Legion Campaign and much more. Core book PDF's will be sent out in July, print versions in August along with any accessories and as many of the other books as possible. A second wave of shipments will deliver the final books by Dec 2014. Backers will receive pre-print PDF's to assist with proof reading and final PDF's of each book as they are completed.
- PDF Master Pledge £40 - Now Worth: £127
- PDF Subscription Pledge £100 - Now Worth: £242
- Setting Book Master Pledge £250 - Now Worth: £435
- Necromagus Pledge £400 - Now Worth: £620
- Nepharite Pledge £700 - Now Worth: £933
- Dark Apostle Pledge £900 - Now Worth: £1,313
- Dark Soul Pledge £1500 - Now Worth: £1,973
Jay Little is re-designing the rules and a large team are re-writing the setting guides and supplements to include brand new material alongside the existing storyline. You can expect the usual high quality production values that Modiphius is known for (just check out the comments from backers of the Achtung! Cthulhu Kickstarter).
Awesome new art will reveal never before seen parts of the Mutant Chronicles universe alongside the existing fantastic images by Paul Bonner, Peter Bergting and Paolo Parente. Here's what to expect in each book. Check out more content outlines on this page.
Mutant Chronicles: Dark Symmetry Core Book:
- A d20 based cinematic system with 8 attributes that is fast and furious.
- Lifepath & point buy character generation
- Full details and rules for life in the 25th century, the colonies and space travel
- The Dark Legion, their Heretics and Apostles, how they operate, their different tactics and creatures
- The five big Corporations (Imperial, Capitol, Bauhaus, Mishima, Cybertronic), the Brotherhood, the Cartel and Whitestar.
- The future history that led to the exodus from Earth, a timeline leading up to the first outbreak of the Dark Symmetry, the first Corporate War, the rise of the Brotherhood, the Dark Legion invasion and through 700 years of stagnation to the Second Corporate War and return of the Dark Legion.
- Plots, adventure seeds, GM advice and plot secrets
- Now you can join the assault on the citadel in the first great war with the Dark Legion, hunt down Heretics or go on the fateful mission to Pluto or even Nero!
Mutant Chronicles: Dark Soul:
- Replaces the Algeroth and Ilian Guide books - however all the Apostles will be more heavily represented in the core book.
- Nepharite's Guide to The Dark Soul, The Apostles, The Dark Symmetry
- Full details on Pluto and Nero
- The Dark ships & Citadels
- The Dark Legion universe
- The true ancient history of the Dark Legion, their 'last war', the in-fighting and politics.
- More tactics, creatures, equipment, ships and plot seeds.
Mutant Chronicles: Dark Eden
- Dark Eden turns the focus of the setting, storyline and plot to Earth.
- Learn about the many tribes that have made the mutated irradiated old Earth their own; Whitestar, The Sons of Rasputin, The Templars, Crescentia, The Lutherian Triad
- Massive storyline that unfolds through a apocalyptic series of events across the solar system.
- Vast battles, deep rooted conspiracies, ancient hatreds and a major reveal of the Mutant Chronicles storyline. It's going to be a bad day to be a hero...!
- The Guides:
- More detailed lifepath generation based on each Corporation or Faction with new careers and roles.
- Specific equipment, ships, vehicles, their colonies and resources
- Plots and storylines and how the faction differs between the Dark Symmetry (First Corporate & Dark Legion War) and Dark Legion era's (Second Corporate & Dark Legion War).
- Geographical Guide to one of the worlds or regions of the Solar System with planetary maps and local information.
- New guides covering Luna, Freelancers, Mutants, Cartel and more!
- Three campaign are planned set in each of the three main eras: Dark Symmetry, Dark Legion and Dark Eden.
- Dark Symmetry will take introduce characters as lowly freelancers and Luna Police Department cops investigating the first outbreaks of the Dark Symmetry through the rise of the cult and on through the great events of the Corporate and Dark Legion wars up to the final assault on the citadel. It leads up to a very cool surprise!
- Writers include Dave Allen (Enemy Within) and Clive Oldfield
- The Dark Legion campaign will take you through the epic events of the Dark Legion era (the same as the 2nd Ed RPG).
- The Dark Eden campaign will gear the plot up to apocalyptic proportions through a series of major events across the Solar System as well as focusing heavily on the Tribes, vast mutated creatures and irradiated wastelands of old Earth.
Supporting our Kickstarter is easy! Just follow these steps:
You can easily check your Shipping total using the Pledge Calculator. If you want to add ADDITIONAL ADD ON's or PLEDGES for friends just add the cost of the Add On or extra pledges to your total Pledge (using the green 'Manage My Pledge' button) and we will confirm what you wanted in the post Kickstarter survey.
Visit our store to choose from popular pledges if you prefer to use Paypal.
- Help support the Kickstarter with a range of graphics here
- Download the Free Beta Quickplay with Adventure & Pre generated characters from DriveThruRPG and get a taste of the new system!
- Check out some of the revealed artwork here
- Read about the expected Core Book and Guide book content here.
- We unlocked a Savage Worlds conversion in PDF!
- Pledge for Achtung! Cthulhu print & PDF bundles. See Add on's
Mutant Chronicles, created by Target Games, now Paradox Entertainment was one of the bigger names in gaming in the 1990's with the Doom Trooper collectible card game translated in to 16 languages, three boardgames, a SNES and Mega Drive Doom Trooper video game, the massive Warzone miniatures game and the Mutant Chronicles 1st and 2nd Edition roleplaying games with more recently a Hollywood movie, Fantasy Flight Games pre-painted miniature game and last year the reboot of Warzone by Prodos Games. Watch our video for examples of the stunning art from the world or check out the art here and here
The Mutant Chronicles story took you on this full throttle dieselpunk sci-fi ride through a solar system beset by corporate intrigue and the invasion of a terrible dark alien force. With technology failing due to the insidious effects of the Dark Symmetry humankind must fight back against the Dark Legion hordes whilst dealing with in-fighting and conspiracy from within.
The Solar System is a roaring mayhem of death and war. The surfaces of the inner planets have been swept clean by the violent onslaught of the dark legions storming hordes of Nepharites, Razides, Pretorian Stalkers and Undead Legionaries. In the enormous cities of the far and distant future, heretics devoted to the destruction of humankind stalk the dark backstreets and gloomy alleys spreading their teachings of greed, jealously and war [From the 2nd Edition Back Cover]
In the late 21st century a growing madness of plagues, wars, terrorism and environmental collapse led to the rushed terraforming of the colonies by the major corporations, an exodus from Earth and the final cataclysmic nuclear war. It takes hundreds of years to re-establish life as we know it on the inner worlds of our solar system. Imperial, Capitol, Bauhaus and Mishima now rule from their homes in the steaming jungles of Venus, the caverns of Mercury, the deserts of Mars and the many orbitals and asteroid homes of the solar system. Luna City is a vast neutral sprawl, many hundreds of years old, built up and over the first colony and mines.
A fateful exploratory mission to Pluto unleashes an ancient evil force 'The Dark Symmetry' upon the thinking machines of man. As technology fails (and even fights back), mankind is beset with conspiracy and corporate intrigue from within. Dark things gather on the edges of the colonies and whilst corporate war consumes the greatest armies of man, the Dark Legion’s citadels rise up throughout the worlds of the solar system and terrifying armies march out to consume all. They were defeated long ago, they will not be defeated this time...
As the Dark Symmetry's malign influence on humanity grows, the Brotherhood with their strange powers, arise to unite the corporate armies as one and fight back.
We filled in the gaps in the original storyline, expanded the backstory and plotted secret events that will carry your adventures through a 1000 years of future history. Now you can play during the early days of the Dark Symmetry with investigations of foul cults and technology turning on mankind, through to the brutal Corporate Wars and then fight the Dark Legion as they pour forth from their citadels across the colonies.
MUTANT CHRONICLES and related logos, characters, names, and distinctive likenesses thereof are trademarks or registered trademarks of Mutant Chronicles International Inc. All rights reserved.
Find out more about the design process, interviews with the team, and Fred Malmberg of Paradox Entertainment on our Inside Mutant Chronicles page
If we unlock hardcover and or full colour versions of the books, your pledge or Add On is automatically upgraded for free!
If you want to get ALL the books in print either choose PRINT MASTER (£60/$96) and then select Print Add On's as the books as unlocked or choose SETTING BOOK MASTER for £250 (saving you £150) on the main setting books and guides or the massive unlimited NECROMAGUS for £400 - this is worth approx £620 (saving you £220) and includes EVERY SINGLE book we unlock in print and bonus PDF's!
Here's a graphic explaining what you get in our most popular and recommended pledges. You can see details of other Pledges in the right hand column. Check shipping using the Pledge Calculator.
To add these to your pledge just go to the big green 'Manage My Pledge' at the top right and increase your pledge by the total of the Add On's you want. We confirm what you want in a survey after the Kickstarter. You will have about 6-8 weeks to add to your pledge or change it. To work out your shipping is easy - see the Shipping section below. Add On's are marked: BOOK, ACCESSORY, MINIATURES or SPECIAL so you know whether they are included in the Necromagus Pledge or above.
Dark Soul & Apostles Guide is now a full colour softback!
Dark Symmetry Campaign is now a full colour soft back!
Dark Legion Campaign is now a full colour soft back!
The PDF Master Upgrade is for pledges at PDF Master and above that want to benefit from the Subscription bonus offer. It does also include the PDF Decks.
Check out the T-Shirt Designs Options on this page! You can choose any of the logos on any of the designs shown!
Yes that is an Achtung! Cthulhu d10 in the Dice Collector set :-)
Special Bonus! Dark Symmetry Art Master & NPC Art Master,Art Fanatic, Dark Apostle & Dark Soul pledge artworks will all feature in the Villain or NPC Decks!
NEW ADD ON: 20 CARDINALS CROWNS (NO GRAPHIC): £20 / $32. Weight 0.2kg. SPECIAL. Campaign Coins will be creating the metal Cardinal's Crowns to use as Chronicle points. These are mini versions of the limited edition Medallion seen above - with the Cardinals Crown main design on one side and the Dark Legion design on the reverse, so they could also double as Dark Symmetry points.
If you just want Achtung! Cthulhu Add On's just pledge £1 then increase your pledge amount based on what you want! All Achtung! Cthulhu Add On's are SPECIALS.
More will be added soon!
Shipments will be sent from the UK. It's really easy to calculate how much shipping you need to add to your Pledge total. Simply check the weights of the items (Pledges & Add On's show the total weights) in your order and compare it to the table below. You can also use our Pledge Calculator to work out the shipping for you.
Tracked and faster Courier shipping options will be available later on. The Dark Symmetry Core book, as many of the other books that are ready and all the miniatures and accessories will be shipped in Wave 1. Split shipping options will be available for those want to receive products as they're finished.
Currently you can select the following sets (with more to be unlocked)
- Bauhaus - Noble Officer, Templar, Venussian Ranger
- Imperial - Blood Beret, ISF Field Agent, Wolfbane
- Capitol - Luna P.D. Detective, Free Marine, Veteran with attitude
- Mishima - Ronin, Demon Hunter, Shadow Walker
- Cybertronic - Technologist, Attila, Field Asset
- Brotherhood - Keeper of the Art, Inquisitor, Sacred Warrior
- Corporate Agents (5 figure set)
- Heretics (5 figure set)
- Villains (3 figure set
- Whitestar (3 figure set)
- Dark Symmetry Creatures: Cable Marionettes (3 figure set)
- Dark Symmetry Creatures: Malignants (3 figure set)
Next we will be unlocking Civilian Heroes, Dark Legion Creatures and more. There will also be a set of incredible floor plans by one of the leading designers in the industry.
Our guarantee to you: We will be unable to show all sculpts before the end of the Kickstarter, so if you don't like the final unveiled designs of miniatures we will refund the Miniature share of your pledge.
Sets cost £15 each. Miniatures will come with Warzone cards where appropriate and we'll also be providing conversion rules to take your heroes and adventurers in to the Warzone game or from Warzone in to the RPG.
See the massive list of press on our Press page here - here's a selection of interviews and features:
- Doom Trooper Radio Interview
- The Examiner Interview
- RPGNet Interview #41
- Bring Your A Game Interview
- Tabletop Gaming News - A Little Better!
- Geek News Network
- Undergopher interview
- Nerdup interview
- Shut Up & Take My Money Interview (from 7:37)
- Combat Phase Podcast Interview
- Geek Native interview
- Beasts of War
- Tabletop Gaming News
- GMS Magazine Interview
- RPG Pundit
- Dorkland Interview
- Obskures interview
- SFX Magazine
- Game Knight Reviews
- Channel 2 interview!
- Gaming Gang Podcast ( 21:38)
- Beasts of War
- Forja y Desvan TV in Spanish & English
- Geek Apocalypse (Ep 51) Interview
- MisdirectedMark Interview
- Mad Adventurers Society Interview
- Gamers Codex Interview
- io9 Feature
The Retailer Pledge which allows you to select a minimum four copies of the Dark Symmetry core rules & setting book at wholesale pricing.
You will need to email us to confirm you are a valid retail store (otherwise your pledge will be reduced to a Print Master Pledge with credit). You will be able to add some additional select items using our Retail Price list.
Modiphius launched in 2012 and ran the hugely successful Achtung! Cthulhu Kickstarter in April 2013. Check out some of the wonderful feedback on the Kickstarter page or check out our interviews and reviews on our website.
Modiphius was founded by Chris Birch, who's background includes the production of big ranges of merchandise for fashion and video games companies. Backers of Achtung! Cthulhu will testify to the quality of product they have been receiving. Chris co-wrote Starblazer Adventures and Legends of Anglerre, the FATE based games prior to launching Modiphius and has played everything from D&D and Ogre to Flames of War and Pandemic. Chris lives in London with his wife Rita who looks after customer service, orders and admin.
We have a growing team of designers, editors, writers and artists to bring these worlds to life, and we expand the team to suit each new project. We're passionate about creating great quality, fantastic stories and growing the family of friends who love what we do.
Risks and challenges
Any project like this can suffer delays from many sources; writers, artists, layout, design, editing, proof reading, printing and shipping. With so many people involved in a project it's highly unlikely that there will not be some drama. Of course people have lives and you have to build in leeway for events that can slow things down. We have considerable experience in producing large volumes of different types of products for deadlines so are confident we can deliver quality products in the timeline we have set.
Having produced and delivered the main shipment of our first Kickstarter we've learned lessons about allowing more time for the variety of issues that can come up, and having a wider pool of creatives to fill in the gaps when needed. We've also simplified our shipping and pledge calculator to make it easier for backers to understand the options.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
You can, don't worry! The core book now includes all the information on the first and second Dark Legion wars - the £45k stretch goal unlocks a bonus 100 pages to include all the material in the same core book at no extra cost to you!
For Canada use EU shipping rate - we managed to reduce the cost from Rest of the World :-)
Yes you can - make sure you add up the total weight and pay the correct shipping but simply add the value of the additional pledge on top of your own pledge. Please note you cannot add extra pledges which are limited in quantity and sold out.
Simple just choose the Add On 'Upgrade Core book to Collectors Edition' - it costs £60 with no weight upgrade.
We are considering a Stretch Goal for a conversion to another system as well and will run a survey nearer the time to see what people think but the goal is to get all the books funded first
For the Art pledges we will ask you for your photographs and our artist will draw you in as a character in a 1/4 page scene. We will ask you whether you prefer to be a villain or hero type and if you have any preference on character type and name. We'll do our best to adhere to this, however we do have to have all art approved and it needs to fit the storyline and background.
With pledges that do not say you can choose which book you'll be in, we'll be asking you for your 3 preferred books and do our best to ensure you get in the one you want so don't worry!
Currently we're still unlocking books, so you can either choose the Print Master Pledge which gets you the core book, then select Add On's for Print copies as they're revealed in the Add On's section OR you can go BIG and choose the Necromagus pledge which is £400 / $640 which will get you ALL the books we unlock - currently worth about £560 / $896 if we unlock all the books planned, and we're thinking of more if the stretch goals go high enough. As a result numbers are limited (as it could quickly become expensive for us.
The Nepharite, Dark Apostle & Dark Soul Pledges include 'All The Accessories' what's included in that?
The Accessories will include EVERYTHING that's not a book or a miniature set EXCEPT a few select high price items like the Life Size Shoulder Pads and a Giant Cloth Map - they'll be marked as 'Not included in Accessories'
What it will include is things like: one of the Corporate logo tees, one of the Mutant Chronicles logo tees, floor tiles, poster sets, Cartel Artefact bag, custom dice sets, card decks, embroided patches of corporate logos, pad of character sheets and more...
If you're note sure you can always change your pledge level later on if you feel it's not going to be worth it, as you can always add each of these items on separately, you just won't get the saving on the bundle.
The Mutant Chronicles brand doesn't belong to us, whereas Achtung! Cthulhu was ours to do with as we wished. We have to pay a licensing royalty to the owners and so things have to be a higher cost to ensure we can pay this, cover the cost of production and management of the project. We have tried hard to increase value wherever possible though.
Last year the PDF Master for Achtung! Cthulhu came with 2000 pages across 11 books for £35, this year it's £40 but with the greater number of books we plan to unlock it's probably one of the best bargains you can get :-)
Yes you can order any of the following sets now as they are definitely being made:
Brotherhood (3 heroes) £15
Imperial (3 heroes) £15
Capitol (3 heroes) £15
Bauhaus (3 Heroes) £15
Mishima (3 Heroes) £15
Heretics (Squad of 5) £15
The rest will be unlocked by Stretch goals or announced at certain points in the campaign when we hit a target of backers and other surprises!
Yes we have been Alpha testing a new rule system for 6 months with over 400 groups, and have been revising the latest of 3 versions to create a new Beta version that will be available to download on RPGNow and DriveThruRPG later in the campaign. It's based on 8 attributes, d20 roll under, Skills, Talents and a dramatic 'Symmetry' dice pool which helps drive the action. It's very cinematic and fun, plays quickly and easily with little maths. There will be some cool optional card decks to aid play as well as a GM Rules Guide to use at the table instead of your beautiful colour hardcover core book.
Watch out for updates on the system and discussion above
Just work out which Add On's you'd like, then go to Manage My Pledge - the big green button, and increase your pledge total by the total of the Add On's you want.
For example if you have the Print Master Pledge at £60 and want the Imperial Book at £15, just change your Pledge total to £75 to include the book.
Remember to check your shipping is correct and increase your pledge by the total cost of the shipping - we now have the pledge calculator here - http://acpledgecal.biz.ly.istemp.com/MCPM/MCPCalc.htm - where you can confirm what the new cost of your shipping is based on the weight of what you want.
Absolutely not! The game is a cinematic RPG - some people will like to use minis with the game, but you'll be able to play it just as well without. We are producing some cool floor tiles, maps and rpg focused miniatures (to use alongside the awesome range of Warzone miniatures from Prodos Games) but this is just for those gamers who love to use minis.
Support this project
- (40 days)