Have you ever wondered how small you have to be to model? I'm about to go from a size 8 to a 2. Do you think this should be the norm?
What is the Documentary About?
Am I playing into the fashion Industry by trying to lose 40 lbs?
Is to lose 40lbs and get down to a 34-24-34 which puts me around a size 2. Can I do this in a healthy way?
Crystal Renn was told to lose 1/3rd of her body weight and 9 inches off her hips in order to do straight size modeling. In her attempt to do this she developed an eating disorder and eventually got help.
• Up to 24 million people of all ages and genders suffer from an eating disorder (anorexia, bulimia and binge eating disorder) in the U.S.
• Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness.
• The body type portrayed in advertising as the ideal is possessed naturally by only 5% of American females.
• 47% of girls in 5th-12th grade reported wanting to lose weight because of magazine pictures.
• 69% of girls in 5th-12th grade reported that magazine pictures influenced their idea of a perfect body shape.
• 42% of 1st-3rd grade girls want to be thinner (Collins, 1991).
• 81% of 10 year olds are afraid of being fat (Mellin et al., 1991).
Why should you join the cause?
You are helping to re-write history as well as encouraging healthy eating and a healthy life. What's not to like!? If that's not enough to convince you read some articles below...
SOME MODELS EAT COTTON BALLS TO STAY THIN
SISTERS DIE AFTER GOING ON LETTUCE AND DIET COKE DIET
SWEDISH MODELING AGENCIES BEING ACCUSED OF RECRUITING ANOREXIA PATIENTS OUTSIDE CLINIC
EX-VOGUE EDITOR REVEALS HORRIFIC METHODS MODELS USE TO STAY THIN
TAKING A STAND IN ISRAEL
Israeli fashion photographer Adi Barkan initiated the legislation to regulate fashion models' body weight. His inspiration: Hila Elmaliah, an anorexic friend and model who weighed 60 pounds when she died in 2007. His subsequent campaign against the fashion industry culminated with the passage of this law by the Knesset, the Israeli parliament, early last year. Israeli lawmakers adopted the legislation in March 2012 stipulating that fashion and commercial models should have a body-mass index of at least 18.5. A 5-foot-8 adult weighing 120 pounds, for instance, has a BMI of 18.2, disqualifying her -- or him -- from pursuing a modeling career in Israeli.
TAKING A STAND IN ITALY
In September 2008, Madrid's Fashion Week banned models with a body mass index of less than 18. Body mass index is a calculation doctors normally apply to study obesity, and anyone with an index below 18.5 is considered underweight
What I hope to achieve
- I would like for there to be some kind of union or at the very least some laws put in place for models.
- Who said models should be a 34 inch hip? Not sure, but let's do some research and find out what would be healthy and still look lean. I want to open the world of modeling so every day people can see that a majority of models are not built this thin. A large percentage of models go to extremes to get down to a miniscule size.
- Wouldn't it be great to have more Kate Upton's in the industry? After all she was honored as model of the year.
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
I have been laying the ground work for the past 7 months! This included working with a nutritionist, finding Dr's and doing hundreds of hours of research. I am risking my still lucrative modeling career to do this documentary. I feel that the message and hopefully change will be worth the potential risk. The hard part will be to lose 40lbs in 3 months. Please help others by helping me open an eye into the fashion world and it's extreme standards.
I have been quoted by 3 production company's, for the 3 months that I will be losing weight and filming the cheapest being $20,000 total and the highest being $90,000. I will be going with the lower most likely. Each day of filming costs $1,000-$3,000 so I will film for 20-30 days out of the 90 days and cram all the interviews, nutrition and workout footage and Dr's appointments. Kickstarter and amazon have fees and if there is any money left over it will go to pay for my Dr.s appointments otherwise I will pay out of my own pocket. The production includes the editing price at the end of the project.
What if you don't reach your goal, where does the money go? Can I post on my facebook page? How do I donate?
I wanted to thank all of you for your encouraging words and endorsement of my Documentary Model DIEt, which I launched a little less than a month ago on Kickstarter. Many of you have already supported the campaign, and I am so appreciative of your consideration! It’s been wonderful to become a part of the Kickstarter community, and we’ve raised more than $1,500 so far!
Many have had questions about Kickstarter, so I wanted to take this opportunity to clarify a few points.
1. We only have until October 13, 2013, to reach our goal of $25,000! With Kickstarter, if you don’t reach your stated goal in the allotted amount of time, no money is collected and we will not be able to move into production. This means it’s very important to back the campaign now if you want to make Model DIEt a reality—we only have 32 days left and counting!
2. If the campaign doesn’t reach our goal by Oct 13, you won’t be charged a dime.
3. Be sure to share with your friends and networks. We’ll only move into production if we reach our $25,000 goal, so if you like what you see, spread the word to others you think might be interested in Model DIEt.
How do I back this project?
1. Click “Back This Project” and enter the amount that corresponds to your desired backer gift.
2. Use your Amazon Account to complete your transaction. You’ll get a confirmation email, but won't be charged until we reach our stated goal. If you don’t have an Amazon account you can easily sign up for one (it’s free). We’ll continue to be in touch until the campaign closes and we start production!
seconds to go
Pledge $10 or moreYou selected
You will receive a copy of the finished productEstimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
You will receive a copy of the finished product and a thank you email from me!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $1,000 or moreYou selected
Watch yourself! You will get all of the above and appear in the creditsEstimated delivery:
Pledge $10,000 or moreYou selected
You will get all of the above and the opportunity to be in the documentary! I'm just sayin!Estimated delivery:
- (60 days)