Do you want to start your very own 3D printing business?
Do share a 3D printer or printers with a large group of people?
Is getting up and scraping parts off the bed of your 3D printer the bane of your existance?
Are you a makerspace or school that has problems caused by people changing the settings and configuration on your printers, making it hard to reliably print?
The gist of the project:
Autodrop3D is an innovative open-source printing system. Our web-based print queue can interface with standard 3D printers to power your current arsenal and can be easily customized to fit your needs.
The original motivation for this project was to make 3D printing more accessible to people at our makerspace. Numerous people with a wide variety of skill levels wanted to utilize our 3D printer but having many people utilizing the printers lead to problems. People would adjust settings or attempt to re-level beds, causing the printer to fall into disarray. We wanted our printer to be accessible to all those interested in using it, but having to constantly readjust it was putting a damper on everyone's projects.
We've worked to solve this problem by building a 3D printer system that requires very little human interaction. Now you don't need to be a 3D printing expert to start churning out 3D printed parts. Our custom-built website allows users to upload models in the STL format and add them to the printer queue. Options such as infill density and support material generation have been made available to the user to further customize prints. This has opened up the 3D printer to not just the techies among us, but to anyone with a web browser and a desire to print objects.
Open-Source with no strings attached!
Our team firmly believes in open-source innovation. Because of this, we are releasing all of our documentation, design files, and software prior to the end of this Kickstarter campaign. This will enable anyone with time and energy to dedicate to acquire the components and build the system on their own.
You can visit our site at:
Why should we back this project if you'll give us the plans for free?
We could hear you asking us this one before you'd even finished reading the previous paragraph. By backing the Autodrop3D system, you're not only supporting our campaign and allowing us to continue development of the system, but you'll also receive all of the components necessary to build your system when you back at certain pledge levels.
The 3D printer is a standard Kossel Delta system built upside down. Under the printer, we've placed a movable polycarbonate build plate that can be pulled against a scraper blade attached to the end of the printer. After printing, this plate and blade combo carefully scrapes the print from the bed. Your parts then fall into a box waiting to be picked up at your convenience while the next print starts without any human interaction. This makes it possible for you to continue printing overnight, while you're at work, or any time you don't want to or can't babysit your 3D printer.
The software stack:
The web-based print queue is a PHP Laravel application that can be run on any LAMP Stack web server. We will be providing a pre-built package for Windows that handles setting up the slicer, database, and web server. It is also linux compatible and we will be setting up a linux VM with the whole server packaged and working. You won't need any special cloud infrastructure or other software to operate your 3D printer, meaning all of your data remains firmly yours and causing no vendor tie-in. When you customize the G-Code sender, it is possible for multiple 3D printers to be connected to the same server, allowing for features such as multiple color options and extra printing bandwidth. Our team is also bundling a web-based CAD tool (https://github.com/xibyte/jsketcher) so you can start creating useful and innovative gadgets virtually immediately.
What will your money go towards?
We have priced out our cost on building kits in qty of 1 and have based our pricing structure to provide a comfortable margin. The current design is made from standard flat stock materials and can be cut with a CNC or jug saw and table saw. Hardware is standard sizes and the 3d printer is the standard kossel design witch is open source. We will further optimize the design prior to shipping but in a worst case scenario we will be able to ship working models off the existing design.
Tier One ($1+):
- Receive our enthusiastic appreciation and email updates as the project progresses.
Tier Two ($9+):
- A sticker with the Autodrop3D logo, plus our appreciation and email updates as the project progresses.
Tier Three ($10+):
- A limited edition sticker with a NSFW variation of the Autodrop3D logo, plus our appreciation and email updates as the project progresses. Limited to 100 backers. Ages 18+ only.
Tier Four ($75+):
- A 3D printed object of your choice (3cm by 3cm by 3cm max) mailed to you, plus our heartfelt thanks.
Tier Five ($75+):
- A t-shirt hand screen printed with the Autodrop 3D logo. Available in sizes S, M, L, XL, and 2X. Request your size in the backer survey that will be sent out after the project funds.
Tier Six ($189):
- We will send you the hardware and cabling needed to get the connect your printer to the Autodrop3D server. Includes a Raspberry Pi Zero W with case, buttons, power supply, and a microUSB preloaded with the latest version of the Autodrop3D client software.
Tier Seven ($549+):
- Early backer! A full 3D printer and auto ejection mechanism and controller kit with the components necessary to assemble a functional printer and auto ejection platform of your own. Includes a Kossel Delta 3D printer system, the slide mechanism and linear actuator kit, the build surface, a Raspberry Pi Zero W controller, power supply, a microUSB preloaded with the latest version of the Autodrop3D client software, and directions to assemble the kits. Limited to 15 backers.
Tier Eight ($649+):
- You supply the 3D printer. We supply the auto ejection kit! This tier level includes the slide mechanism and linear actuator kit and the build surface, so you can assemble your own auto ejection platform. You must have, or will need to acquire, a Kossel Delta or similar 3D printer for this option.
Tier Nine ($1,499+):
- A full 3D printer and auto ejection mechanism and controller kit with the components necessary to assemble a functional printer and auto ejection platform of your own. Includes a Kossel Delta 3D printer system, the slide mechanism and linear actuator kit, the build surface, a Raspberry Pi Zero W controller, power supply, a microUSB preloaded with the latest version of the Autodrop3D client software, and directions to assemble the kits.
Tier Ten ($5,999):
- Two full 3D printers and auto ejection kits, personal setup, and training. We will travel to your location to personally set up your 3D printers and auto ejection systems and provide you with the training necessary to operate them. This tier is comprised of two full 3D printer and auto ejection mechanism and controller kits with the components necessary to assemble a functional printer and auto ejection platform which we will assemble for you. Includes a Kossel Delta 3D printer system, the slide mechanism and linear actuator kit, the build surface, a Raspberry Pi Zero W controller, a microUSB preloaded with the latest version of the Autodrop3D client software, directions to assemble the kits, and our presence to set up the systems and offer training.