We did It! From the 10•38 Team, a big thank you to all of our backers!
Living a life of little significance after his mother’s death, Abe dreamed of meeting the girl next door. But he was just a shadow in a long line of suitors. That dream turned into reality, if just for a New York minute...
On the eve of Halloween, in 1938, Orson Welles broadcasted a radio adaptation of War of The Worlds. In a 40 minute show, Welles and other actors from his Mercury Theater company recreated what was supposed to be an alien Invasion from the planet Mars. Thousands of radio listeners thought it was true and a wave of mass hysteria seized New York. For many, that night was hell on earth, but for one man, it was heaven.
A Word from the Director
My name is Álvaro Congosto and I am an independent filmmaker and adjunct instructor for the Film & TV Department at Boston University. Born and bred in Spain but a New Yorker at heart, I’ve been in the States for the past 6 years; it’s where I have developed most of my professional career.
I was excited to make this film from the first moment I had the script in my hands. Based on the night Orson Welles terrified thousands of Americans, we want to tell the story of a man who, despite all odds, found happiness. It’s a small story; but, as life itself, it's full of emotion and beauty.
A Word from the Producer
Hi Kickstarter, thanks for checking out our project! My name is Mike Callahan; I am a producer based in Boston and a life-long fan of independent cinema. Alvaro and I met while attending Boston University's College of Communication for film school. Last summer, we connected to work on a short film titled POV. Clearly, it was a "warm-up" for bigger things to come. Now, much of the same core crew, including Alvaro and myself, are about to explore the dreams of a lonely man in 1930's.
I’ve got an amazing team ready to work with us; we just need a lil’ push! So, let me introduce you to the 10·38 family. We hope that you'll decide to give us a hand and become part of the team!
Meet the Team
- Larry Vigus – Production Designer. Larry has 40 years of experience in the stage and film industry. What else can we say? He is a successful Art director, Prop Master, and Set Designer for Independent Films, Television, Music Videos and Theatre.
- Batu Sener – Music Composer. This Berklee College of Music alumnus is now pursuing a master’s degree in Music Composition for the Screen at Columbia College Chicago. Batu’s music has made appearances in several TV shows and promos on CBS and TBS. You've probably already heard some of his work!
- Jim Dandee – Cinematographer. Jim has directed, produced, or shot 14 short films over the last 3 years. Jim is a Film & Television graduate student at Boston University. He faces the challenge of capturing a 1930s setting that connects with a modern and HD savvy audience.
- Sam Laskey – Screenwriter. Sam is an adjunct faculty member in the Screenwriting Department at Boston University's College of Communication. He worked for several years as a reader for Oscar-winning producer Scott Rudin. In 2013, he was named "the next up and coming student screenwriter" by Script Pipeline. Wow!
Please find more detailed information on our website: http://www.1038thefilm.com/
Now, wanna take a peak of the essence of 10·38? This is our first trailer… careful, it’s hot!:
$20,000. We know, we are asking for a considerable amount BUT let us explain why we need this money and how we are going to spend it:
- Artistic Direction: 50%. The sets, the costumes, the atrezzo… Our production designer Larry will have to rub the lamp to make us feel in the 30’s. Grab your hats and cardigans; it’s going to be a great trip!
- Equipment: 20%. We will need to find the adequate lenses to give the movie a really unique feel and look, specially from that period and style. It’s not old; it’s vintage ;)
- Special Effects: 10%. Unfortunately, it will be a bit of a spoiler if we talked about the special effects; but we kind of need some special magic for this movie. Just wait and see.
- Food & Transportation: 20%. Let us tell you a secret: Food is actually the most important thing in any movie. And 20 people working for 10 hours a day really deserve a nice and hearty lunch!
And these $20,000 are just to cover the production expenses. In case we get a little bit more than expected, we have tons of other ways to make good use of it. Just to give you a couple of examples:
- Post production. Hell yeah! It’s gonna be an intense work trying to make New York look like in the late 30’s… Just as an example, imagine to “erase” the AC’s of each and every window of the buildings. Right, intense. But no worries, we are willing of doing that and whatever takes to make the movie look great! We'll just get some fresh air for the moment.
- Distribution. We are committed to getting 10·38 out in the world! We know this movie is gonna do great in film festivals so, with an extra dough, we will send it all around!
How can I help?
You can help becoming part of our family! We have great perks for you (take a look at the right side of the screen!) and we promise we will keep you updated with all the news related with 10·38! Help us to turn this “broadcasted dream” into a reality!!!
And, if you really really like what you see here, you can also follow us on:
- Check out our stylish tote bags with original designs inspired by “10·38” (just for you to shine in Trader Joe’s line;) )
- Original prints inspired by “10·38” by artist Dominika Kramerova (a vintage touch for your office/home!)
- DVD copy of “The Dress”, Alvaro's previous short film
- A Personalized Broadcasted Dream recorded by our great voiceover and just for YOU!
And for our Spanish friends...
¡Hola amigos Hispanohablantes!
Por desgracia Kickstarter no dispone todavía una opción de texto en castellano, así que he encontrado esta esquinita para dirigirme a vosotros. No tengo mucho espacio así que iré al grano.
Me llamo Álvaro Congosto y soy un cineasta independiente residente en Estados Unidos. He creado esta campaña para recaudar fondos para mi nuevo proyecto, 10•38, Un sueño radiofónico.
Podeís encontrar toda la info sobre la peli (¡en castellano!) en nuestra web AQUÍ.
Si te gusta el proyecto y te apetece colaborar, sólo necesitas una tarjeta de crédito. Aquí te explicamos cómo en cuatro sencillos pasos:
- Selecciona la cantidad con la que te gustaría contribuir en el menú de la derecha
- Entra en tu cuenta de Kickstarter (sólo necesitas una cuenta de correo para crearla)
- Continúa a la página de Amazon
- Confirma el pago
Y si te atascas en alguno de estos pasos no dudes en escribirnos a firstname.lastname@example.org. Estaremos encantados de ayudarte con el proceso :)
Aquí dispones de un CONVERSOR para ver las cantidades en Euros.
¡Gracias por confiar en nosotros!
Risks and challenges
Making a film presents many obstacles, but with your help, we will work together to make sure everything we need to get this project is done correctly. The amount of money we are seeking is quite a bit, we know that, but we feel that that amount has been accurately reckoned based on the script elements and other difficulties we need to face to create a quality movie. Rentals, equipment, food, transportation, schedules, attrezzo, special effects... All has been taken into account!
We have tried to anticipate problems before they happen but sometimes factors beyond our control come into play. If the project is delayed, since you become part of our team, you'll be the first to know, and you will receive constant updates on the schedule and progress we are making.
We also benefit for the vast experience of our team! Álvaro has already directed several short film with success; Mike produces for commercial clients and has already previous experience with period film (Munuker, 2013). Jim Dandee, our cinematographer, has directed, produced or shot 14 short films over the last 3 years. Larry Vigus, production designer, has 40 years of experience in the stage and film industry in Hollywood.
Yes, things happen, which is why we are building contingency plans for every department. But, our experience speaks for itself, we already have a plan and we have already secured our home location so we can start working ASAP! We will do everything we can to make this entire experience positive and fun, no matter what. Are you on board? We hope so!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)