A Destination Farmers Market in the Shenandoah Valley
A Destination Farmers Market in the Shenandoah Valley
The Mount Jackson Farmers Market will be a DESTINATION farmers market located in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley.
The Mount Jackson Farmers Market will be a DESTINATION farmers market located in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley. Read more
Recipe for Community Revitalization and a great destination place:
1 part Locally Grown Food
1 part Small Business Incubation
1 part Community Sustainability
1 part Historic Preservation
1 part Urban & Rural Revitalization
Lots of Community & Lots of Hard Work
If you love farm fresh produce, pastured meats, and community living, then you'll love the Mount Jackson Farmers Market.
The Mount Jackson Farmers' Market is us - Gerald, Tara and Mitch Forsburg; our vendors; and YOU!
HELP MOUNT JACKSON GET A DESTINATION FARMERS' MARKET
We're surrounded by a multitude of farms, many of which are adopting progressive farming practices and supplying REAL food, but access is still quite limited to local community. The Mount Jackson Farmers Market will bring the Valley's best within reach to YOU!
"With some of the richest farmland in America, the Shenandoah Valley can again become the breadbasket of the East Coast as a center of the new organic, healthy food economy. This can help spur local services, cottage industries, and clean manufacturing." (Transition Staunton)
The need is for a single place for farmers and artisans to present their hard work; a community gathering place to enjoy each other and good food; and the adaptive re-use of the largest vacant building the Downtown Historic District.
What's a Destination Farmers' Market?!
It's a Farmers' Market, and MUCH more. This Market will be a year-round indoor/outdoor experience for the whole family; a community gathering place; and a place to learn all about REAL food. We'll be bringing you the freshest local food and best artisans, as well as educational experiences and entertainment.
$25,000 is the amount of most Economic Development Loans, and the amount we need to begin necessary renovations to open the doors. We need to provide a ADA ramp, accessible bathrooms and do a few structural repairs before we can open. Our Town codes also require a hard-surfaced parking lot, curb, gutter and sidewalk.
Every dollar pledged will build the community:
1. The project will create an affordable place for local farmers to sell their produce, and for local cottage-industry artisans to sell their crafts;
2. We will be purchasing needed renovation materials from Habitat for Humanity;
3. We will accept EBT (food stamps), therefore enabling low income families to purchase local, fresh produce. We have also applied to a program that encourages low income families to eat healthy by doubling EBT benefits; and,
4. We are giving 10% of every dollar we raise, above our minimum goal, to the Blue Ridge Area Food Bank.
How will the money be used?
If we meet the minimum goal, the pledges will be used as follows:
- first for initial start-up costs, such as building permits, Town fees, including special use exception fees for number of parking spaces and signage;
- launch a much needed advertising campaign;
- a few necessary building repairs - the County requires an Accessibility Ramp, and the Main Beam of the front Canopy needs to be replaced;
- purchase a walk-in cooler for our CSA program; and,
- a Parking Lot! That's right, a parking lot. Town Codes require that our existing lot be hard-surfaced, with curbs, gutter and sidewalks, BEFORE we open the doors. Our parking lot will be an innovative GREEN & PERMEABLE lot - the first and only that we know of in the Valley. (More on this below.)
If we EXCEED THE GOAL, the funds will be used for restoring the building in order to provide the spaces necessary for local artisans and farmers. This is really the main goal of the project; the parking lot is simply a requirement that we cannot get around.
Here what's really needed:
Pre-construction (soft costs - permits, engineering) - $8,300
Phase I - An Innovative "Green" Parking Lot, to include Town requirements of curb, gutter, sidewalk and landscape buffering - $64,602
Phase II - Building Improvements, and marketing campaign - $238,510
Phase III - Coffee Counter, Lunch Counter, Commercial Kitchen for farmers to use to convert produce to value-added products and Hard Cider Brewery (okay, probably 5-10 years out on that last one...) - $478,500
- Grand Total - $789,912
Do we think we'll reach the grand total on KickStarter? Of course
not. But you can't say we haven't put forth a good effort. Nothing
ventured, nothing gained. Our rewards have been set to reach the Grand
Total, but we have settled on a much smaller pledge amount in order to
get started on the basic life-safety requirements, and allow us to open
the doors.Why so much?!The building is
9,000 s.f., and is on half an acre. $789,912 divided by 9,000 s.f.
equals $87.77/s.f. for construction, which includes site work, as well
as needed refrigeration equipment! Most commercial construction
projects like this average $150/s.f. and up for construction cost alone,
without site work.The real question is:
How can we keep the cost down so much?The answer to that question is that we will be doing a lot of work ourselves, and we will be using a lot of reclaimed and salvaged materials. Also, we will be purchasing materials from places such as Habitat for Humanity ReStore, and hiring local contractors when needed, so the PLEDGES WILL KEEP ON GIVING!
Mount Jackson is a great town that we deeply love. We intend to be extremely involved with local organizations and projects. Through donations, volunteering, and sponsorships, we hope to support and enrich our community.Our Rewards Partners:
Shenandoah Valley Music Festival
Historic Belle Grove Plantation
The George Washington Hotel
What is Kickstarter?
- "If we wait for the governments, it'll be too little, too late
- If we act as individuals, it'll be too little
- But if we act as communities, it might just be enough, just in time." (TransitionUs.org)
If we hit our goal, it will allow us to open our doors. If not, we will be delayed indefinitely.
Here’s whatcha gotta do:
Get an Amazon account. (All pledges are handled SECURELY through Amazon.)
Register here on KickStarter. All you have to do is enter your e-mail and create a password. There are no fees, other than the pledge.
Pledge $1 or more (your card will only be charged if we reach $25,000 by March 5!) Easy, huh?
Once the space is ready for use, we’d like to utilize it also as an outlet for local chefs, artists and musicians to showcase their talent!
So, pledge today and tell everyone you know to do the same! We only have 31 days to meet our goal - preferably the Grand Total Goal! It's an All-or-Nothing, so please spread the word. If you like certain rewards, you can pledge more than once.
With your help, the Mount Jackson Farmers' Market will be a truly rewarding experience and support local farmers and artisans.
Thanks & Cheers!
Gerald, Tara & Mitch
*10% of Pledges above our minimum goal will be Donated to the Shenandoah County Food Bank*
- (31 days)