About this project
Ready, Cassette, GO!
The new old thang, in all its skinny, nostalgic, iconic glory, is back and has evolved into a fully functional Bluetooth music player.
- Built-in LCD Display & Touch Controls - Enables simple, on-the-move navigation of your music
- Headphone Jack - Stereo 3.5mm HiFi audio output
- Bluetooth 3.0 + EDR - Allow easy connectivity to Bluetooth speakers, headphones, and other compatible peripherals
- Plays As A Cassette - Will play in most standard cassette players
- Memory Card Slot - Virtually unlimited storage options (Supports microSD up to 128GB. 8GB card included.)
- Internal Rechargeable Battery - The 330mAh battery provides up to 12 hours of playback
- Rapid Charging - Fully charges in less than an hour
- Supported Formats - Include FLAC, MP3, WMA, OGG, APE, WAV, AAC-LC, ACELP, and Audible
- USB 2.0 Port - Quickly connect to a PC or Mac to transfer music
- Carbon Fiber Finish - Premium luxury and innovation
Easily transfer songs from your music library. Compatible with PC and Mac.
You can use MIXXTAPE to playback music in three different ways:
3.5mm Audio Jack - plug in your favorite wired headphones or speakers
Bluetooth - wirelessly connect to your Bluetooth enabled headphones, speakers, and most modern cars
- Tape Deck - Whether you have a Walkman, boombox, or Trans Am, if you have a tape deck, you can use it to play MIXXTAPE
Stretch Goal $75K - White Edition
Thank you to all the backers!!! You're totally rad!
The White Edition has minimal branding to allow you to personalize it with your own creativity. Paint it, write on it, use stickers, totally make it your own. Great for bands or anyone wanting to make their MIXXTAPE truly one of a kind. A J-card (cassette cover) template will be available for download so you can design and print your customized cover art.
Choose the black or white edition during the survey after the campaign. Or get one of each!
Stretch Goal $150,000 - Clear Edition
Together we can do it!
Ivy prefers using a Bluetooth speaker. Headphones hurt her ears.
As a teenager, my mixtapes were mostly love letters to girls. A streaming playlist could never be quite so romantic - or half as embarrassing.
The mixtape was the purest product of the cassette age, a lovingly prepared journey through someone’s musical taste. The maker controlled the rise and fall, the moods and the motion. It was a democratised concept album with a very particular, personal story.
For a growing number of fans, labels, and musicians there seems to be a yearning for music that offers a much fuller and more tactile experience, something that goes beyond the digital bits that feed nonstop streams from services such as Spotify and Apple Music.
“I think it’s a desire for more,” says Damon Krukowski, author of the new book “The New Analog: Listening and Reconnecting in a Digital World.” This renewed musical interest is about seeking out “fuller communication,” he says. “There’s a whole layer of meaning that also disappeared with the disappearance of the physical form. It’s only when you have the full picture that you have full meaning.”
It's also worth noting that the new crop of tape buyers aren’t just listening to music on one format or medium, says Britt Brown, a Los Angeles musician who also runs the record label Not Not Fun. “No matter how powerful Spotify and things like that become, and how convenient that is, there will always be people who want physical music. Or, who want both.”
In addition, streaming services often have annoying ads, can be interrupted by calls and texts, and drains your phone battery. With MIXXTAPE you can listen to up to 12 hours of uninterrupted music and it can be fully charged in less than an hour.
MIXXTAPE goes well beyond romantics and hipsters. It's also ideal for:
- Valentine's Day
- Bands that want a unique way to demo or sell their music
- Your boss, teacher, or coworker
- A wedding day music keepsake
- Mother's Day / Father's Day
- The in-laws
MIXXTAPE supports microSD cards up to 128GB. That's over 30,000 songs per card.
This is a look inside our first functional prototype. Since then, the chipset and display have been upgraded. Also, Bluetooth has been added.
One of the biggest challenges was designing around the reels. We didn't want to build a music player that simply looked like a cassette. We wanted a genuine cassette experience complete with reels that spin and analog playback. However, you won't be needing a No. 2 pencil because we decided to ditch the annoying spools of tape.
The original concept for MIXXTAPE was to give artists trying to break into the music industry a unique way to present demos to producers. Emailing MP3's to a producer or giving them a CD isn't effective. However, presenting someone a cassette that works directly with headphones and Bluetooth is going to draw attention. As people started seeing the MIXXTAPE prototypes, the overwhelming responses quickly made it clear there was a much wider audience for this product.
Originally it was a combination of many little pieces that made cassettes what they were: the sound, the physical object, the customization, the personalization, the accessibility, the secrecy, the community. Also, music was so much more than audio files and virtual avatars. It was tangible. It was meaningful. It was personal.
Today, cassettes trigger responses in people of all ages. For some it’s autobiographical nostalgia and reminds them of the good old days. A world that was simpler and perhaps happier. For others, they may also feel nostalgia for time periods when they weren't alive; perhaps their parents played old cassettes around them when they were young, and now, they associate those sensory details with positive memories.
Cassettes In The News
- "Cassette Sales Grew By 74% In 2016" - Forbes (Jan 2017)
- "Music's Weird Cassette Tape Revival Is Paying Off" - Fast Company (Jan 2017)
- "Break out that old tape deck, cassettes are making a comeback" - TechRadar (Jan 2017)
- "Once an ’80s staple, cassette tapes are making a comeback" - Wall Street Journal (Mar 2017)
- "Cassettes make a comeback" - The Advocate (Apr 2017)
Books on tape!
Please help spread the word by clicking the buttons below.
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
NOTICE - The use of this product is for personal use only. Copying CD’s, downloading audio files and capturing streaming audio content for sales or other business purpose is or may be a violation of copyright laws. It is also a violation of copyright law to download files without the permission of the copyright owner.
Risks and challenges
We are confident that we have done everything possible to minimize risks and challenges to MIXXTAPE's Kickstarter backers.
MIXXTAPE is nearly complete. All of the functional components and programming are final. We’re currently updating the branding, packaging, and accessories. Also, we’re ramping up at our factory and are ready to meet the estimated delivery times. We do not expect any changes to shipment, product or availability.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)