Just One Line
Just One Line
A gamebook-like RPG videogame set in a funny and colorful fantasy world heavily focused on choices and consequences.
A gamebook-like RPG videogame set in a funny and colorful fantasy world heavily focused on choices and consequences. Read more
Just One Line is on Steam Greenlight . Vote for us!
You can create your hero and explore the world of Just One Line firsthand: the game demo is here!
- OS: MS Windows 7 or higher (both 32bit and 64bit). (Linux Build coming soon, Windows Build does run on Wine)
- Graphics Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible.
- Display Resolution: 16:9, 1280x720 px or higher.
Just One Line (JOL) is a fantasy text-adventure indie video game heavily focused on choices and consequences, mixed with Roleplaying Game, score-based multiplayer and character sharing features.
- Choices MATTER: A lot of games say so, but we think none truly mean it. All our quests are linked together and have different paths according to your race, background, attributes and choices made in previous quests.
- YOUR character, YOUR story: Build your character as you see fit. Start by choosing a race and a background, follow-up with some aesthetic customization and finally shape him/her into a valorous hero or a ruthless villain. Morality and honor will change according to your in-game choices.
- High replay value: Quest spawn is semi-random and each one has different interactions or even entire branches only accessible to certain backgrounds/previous quests’ choices! Every time you play, your story changes.
- Will you be the best? When you resign your character you can compete with other players in the leaderboards to be the most renowned hero of the kingdom!
- Short stories, deep stories: We believe wall of texts are NOT needed for engaging the player, Just One Line is our motto. Quest telling is thrilling yet short and straightforward.
- All about immersion: We feature a unique set of locations in fancy 3D lowpoly toon graphics and a mesmerizing OST to aid your imagination when embarking on epic quests. You will be amazed!
- Innovative yet conservative: The concept of our game is a breath of fresh air! However, you could expect everything a role-playing gamer has come to know and love: races, classes, skills, magic, powerful weapons, unique armors and ancient artifacts.
VIDEOGAMER ITALIA (07/04/2016)
Coming up next: THE GAME! You will help us to create the videogame we love. You will love it too!
Create your character choosing from a list of races and backgrounds and embark on a variety of quests heavily focused on choices and consequences. Your character will progress by increasing his/her renown and relation with the factions of the kingdom, unlocking new races and backgrounds for your next playthroughs.
Just One Line is currently being developed for PC Windows,Linux and MAC OS X.
The game is currently being localized in English and Italian.
Every quest you embark on is composed of multiple scenes. A scene is composed by a description and from one to four choices. Some choices are always available, while others may not be shown unless you match its prerequisites (your character being of a given race/background, carrying that mighty sword or not, and so on). In addition, many of the choices you make are stored internally by our quest system. This allow us to entangle the story-line of all our quests with one another: the game remembers what you do and your character story changes accordingly. Some choices have a check on your character as well: you may succeed or fail at those depending on your statistics, equipment or previous choices. Beware! Some choices could lead you into a deadly combat (yes, we also feature a text-based combat system), traps, and all sorts of perils.Once your character dies... that's it! Game over! Create a new hero and start all over again with an entirely different story. As you progress through the game, you will face moral dilemmas and your reputation in the eyes of the world and the factions will change accordingly.
When you sense the time of you hero/villain has come you can resign them. In doing so, you will send the score and statistics of your character to our online leaderboard but you won't be able to play as them anymore... Create a new character and start over again! There will be time-framed online events such as “The Most Evil of the Month”,”The richest of the Week”, and so on and so forth. Once the character is on the leaderboard, he/she will also be browsable and sharable: apart from their stats, you will send their look (and equipment), achievements and one of the several titles he/she may have earned during their adventurous life! The decision to have your character partecipe on the online leaderboard is completely up to you. If you are not into competitive gaming, or you wish to keep your characters for yourself, fear not: you can just resign them and move on to your next adventure.
The world of Just One Line is inhabited by all sorts of different creatures. However, there are only of four sentient races among the people of the Kingdom and your characters can be any of those.
The most common race in the Kingdom. Not particularly strong nor smart, most of them will never be heroes. Though many great adventurers were young boys and girls who left their homes in search for glory and fame. They may lack a natural gift as those of the other races, but they have plenty of will for sure.
Tall and skinny, the Elves are the wisest race of all. They live mostly in the big eastern forest and and are rarely seen beyond its boundaries. However their magic skills and link strong connection with nature are known in every corner of the Kingdom. The greatest enchanters of all time were, in fact, Elves.
Big and bulky, it’s a good idea not to enrage them. The common folk fear the Orcs since they see them as brutes and savages, but only a minority is truly like that. Their homeland is a rocky island in the southern sea from which they sail to the mainland, in order to barter. They are strong and resilient, which makes them the most powerful warriors of the Kingdom.
Short and stubby, everybody loves them. They live in underground cities built in the mountains but are also a common sight in the big cities of the Kingdom where they sell jewels and wonderful handicrafts. Centuries of travels and commerce have taught them how to deal with every race in the Kingdom, making them the most skilled adventurers when it comes to effective speaking.
There are many congregations of people in the Kingdom, some you may call “factions” while others “guilds” or “clans”. Each of those groups has its own business to keep going, may it be defending the Kingdom, finding treasures or manipulating the aristocracy. As you might expect from a living world as the one of Just One Line, each congregation interacts by hindering or collaborating with one another. Working with them means you have a specific background akin to their business. You, as a hero/villain of the Kingdom, may choose one of the 10 backgrounds available, each with a unique set of features and benefits. When you are on a quest, thanks to our reputation system, you will be able to increase or decrease your reputation with each faction. You will also be able to unlock new backgrounds for your next playthroughs.
Here are three of the 10 backgrounds available in the game:
Composer: Andrea Gammarrota (Facebook)
Three samples from the game OST:
PLEASE NOTE: Names are subject to our approval (no racism, no religious/belief discrimination, no trademarked/copyrighted words, no cursing, etc). Quests and locations are to be designed together with the developers and are subject to our approval (no racism, no religious/belief discrimination, no trademarked/copyrighted material, no cursing, etc). Other than that, you are the boss! We will try our best to create what you wish.
The digital game will be initially available for PC Windows and Linux.
Questboard credits: They may seem just like regular credits… but they’re not! A questboard credit is our special way to thank you even more by writing your name in the scroll of the “Greatest Heroes of the Past”, just below the in-game questboard. Your name will be remembered forever by every new wannabe-hero!
Shards: You can think of them as parallel worlds. Same locations, same quests set. The game will feature three shards of the same Kingdom and the player will be allowed to pick one for each of his/her characters. Characters belonging to a shard will be grouped together when participating in online massive tournaments. Which shard will have the most renowned hero/villain? Which one will count the most evil/good members? We are taking player competition and congregation to the next level.
Tournaments: Our ultimate goal is to make JOL an amazing social experience. In order to roll out this system there is nothing better than an opening tournament! The participants may send their heroes to the leaderboard as per usual and they will be compared to sort out the winner based on their success rate. More info on this will be released later on.
King: Pretty self-explanatory. You are the only one and true King of all the shards. What does it mean? It means that every special or urgent quest will have your name on it, in addition to a magnificent royal seal!
Three young friends with a long-time passion for videogames. In 2015 we decided to join forces and make what is every kid’s dream: Our own videogame! We are new to the game development scene, but not to our jobs. After a lot of effort, trial and errors, we are ready to show you our very first creation.
We need Kickstarter for one simple reason: financial help to make this game come alive. We recently graduated from university and we haven’t got sufficient funds to rely on, our goal is to be able to create an awesome game nonetheless. In order to do so, we also need to hire professionals for every aspect we cannot provide on our own (music, testing, localisations, etc). We put our efforts into the making of the basics of the game. We have been working full-time on the alpha version completely on our own expenses. Now we would really like to build our business on the concept of this (first of many) video game and we need your help. We try to rely on free software and to create everything we need from scratch or from our code-base/assets-base. In the future we would also like to upgrade our licenses and/or buy new assets and tools. Last but not least, we need financial help to cover the costs to found our company, a solid base for the future. We may be young and new to the scene, but we have plenty of ideas and skills. We want to give our personal contribution to the game industry! Help us and be a part of this!
Andrea Gammarrota (Composer - Facebook )
Video opening music: The Mysteries That are Unsolved - teknoaxe.com
Risks and challenges
There are no real risks: this project is like a child to us, we will never let it down! There may be a few challenges however.
- Steam Greenlight approval: We want to reach the Steam Store and the only way is through Greenlight. We believe in our game and when we will show its potential we are sure it will be a success. If not, we are ready to contact other digital delivery platforms or release it independently. In this case the release date may be postponed.
- Social reach: Some major features of Just One Line are the leaderboard competitions, tournaments and character browsability. We would love to see the leaderboards full of names, players twisting and dueling for the first place. Of course, as for any multiplayer game, the more the merrier. This is all up to you guys: Spread out the word about Just One Line!
- Release date: Delays may occur. This is a common challenge for small developers like us. We have already had some delays, but these past experiences helped us a lot in understanding how to handle the situation and how to prevent them in the future.
- (35 days)