The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire - Cold War expansion
Modular expansions and solo player add-on to the 2016 strategy game of the year!
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Fri, May 31 2019 3:59 AM UTC +00:00.
Cold War is an expansion for the 2016 Game of the Year: The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire
After the bombs fell on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and the dust settled from World War II, the nations of the world rebuilt their economies and infrastructure and the atomic age began. Nations forged alliances through strong diplomacy. They built rockets and satellites and began the space race. They constructed enough nuclear missiles to destroy the world many times over. Their spies were around every corner. The Cold War had begun.
The Cold War Expansion adds new strategic options to the award-winning boardgame: The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire. This expansion requires the base game and is not compatible with other products in The Manhattan Project game line.
The Cold War Expansion is divided into separate modules. Players may pick and choose the modules they like best to customize their game or even choose to eventually add all of the modules. Thus, this expansion ads variety and replayability to the original game.
The Cold War Expansion also adds a thoroughly tested Solo Player automation deck which add a whole new dynamic way to play solo using decks to control an autonomous rival. With the Clash of Nations decks you can play solo or even automate an extra player in a two-player game.
The box is about half the size of the base game box (210 x 152 x 50mm) and contains all these elements which should be able to fit in the original box with a bit of creativity:
+ 48 card Clash of Nations solo decks
You can download the draft version of the PDF rules here:
The expansion is only in English at this time, but we welcome localization partners (Publishers not fans) to get the game in more languages. There is a Spanish version by DO IT Game already in the works.
Man Vs Meeple Preview:
We plan a LIVE how-to-play event mid-campaign so consider backing for at least $2 dollars so you get the update.
We will include the original Missile Crisis promo as well as a new South Korea promo card. The old Mexico promo nation will be included in the actual retail box. These two cards however will NOT be in the retail version of the game.
An additional cardboard token to place over the main board of Energy Empire to make the Finance action be consistent with the solo player rules of only gaining $3.
Update the Espionage cards and the solo Clash of Nations deck to full size (Poker) cards.
* NOTE: This campaign did so well we blew through the stretch goals. That's awesome for everyone! We do not plan to add more stretch goals as we wish to keep the cost of this expansion low. $25 delivered is a very low price point and so we do not have room for more costs added to production. Please understand and thank you all!
We will be using a Pledge Manager after this campaign to offer a few other games, but here is some info about the games included in the higher rewards. We are offering some great bundle deals with this campaign at well below MSRP.
The base Energy Empire game that this campaign expands on. A stand alone game in our "Manhattan Project" line of games. It shares many of the same mechanics from the original award winning game, but with less "take that" actions. All the promos/stretch goals from the original campaign are included.
- It's Rahdo's Runthroughs #1 game of 2016 and #1 Engine Builder of ALL time! (Youtube Video)
- Man vs Meeple's Jeremy's #7 and David's #4! (Youtube Video)
- The Dice Tower's Zee's #3 game for the year! (Youtube Video)
- Board Game Spotlight - Top Games of 2016 has us at #5: (Youtube Video)
- Painted Meeple (Max) #1 of 2016 - (Youtube Video)
- The Broken Meeple's #6 WP game - (Youtube Video) (Review)
- Nominated for Golden Geek Award: Game of the Year - BoardGameGeek
- Best Couples Game of 2016 - Couple of Gamers
- "wow this is good... lot of bang for the buck" - DriveThru Review
- "Energy Empire is sure to please!" - Mina's Fresh Cardboard
- "an innovative worker-placement game that goes beyond the norm" - Shannon Appelcine (Mechanics & Meeples)
- "top 10 of 2016 for sure" - SlickerDrips
- "really enjoyed making different engines" - Jon Gets Games
The standalone sequel to the game that started it all. In The Manhattan Project 2: Minutes to Midnight you command your nation's nuclear weapons program during the cold war. While this game is part of the "world setting" we have created, it is NOT directly related to Energy Empire and has a much harsher view on the cold war.
- Man vs Meeple overview: (Youtube Video)
- Bower's Game Corner overview: (Youtube Video)
- The Geek Boy review: (Youtube Video)
- The Dice Tower review: (Youtube Video)
- The Broken Meeple review: (Youtube Video)
* NOTE: The original game that started it all: The Manhattan Project, is currently out of print so make sure you pick up a copy from your favorite game store before they are totally gone. As such we cannot offer a bundle with that game.
USA shipping is included in all rewards. Shipping outside the USA will be credited with the amount it costs to ship in the USA. We are getting excellent shipping rates with tracking from our fulfillment partner (Flat River Group).
All rewards are being shipped from the USA so there may be local taxes or fees that you must pay. The full games, Energy Empire and Minutes to Midnight, are only in the USA so we cannot offer discounted shipping to the EU.
If you're outside the USA the cheapest way to get the Cold War expansion is to find 2 friends to join you on the pledge and get the 3-Pack Bundle. This will reduce your overall import taxes and fees on top of saving you on the shipping which will only cost $6 per unit.
If this is a problem for you, please ask your local retailer to stock our game when it's released this Winter.
We have been publishing quality games and accessories for over 6 years and have run over two dozen successful Kickstarter campaigns including the highly rated The Manhattan Project and Dead Men Tell No Tales games. Pledge with confidence that we will fulfill your rewards with the highest quality and in a timely manner. It is our goal at Minion Games to help new game designers get published (I blog openly about the process) and our company is set up internally with that goal. As such, we don't see as much of a financial return to build a cash reserve -- luckily we have Kickstarter here to help us all out.
ABOUT: Luke Laurie
Luke is a science and pre-engineering teacher who designed Stones of Fate, the upcoming “Dwellings of Eldervale,” and many other upcoming titles. Luke is also an editor, writer, and founding member of the League of Game Makers.
ABOUT: Tom Jolly
Tom is a retired electrical engineer and designer of such classic games as Wiz-War, Cave Troll, Drakon, Diskwars, and Light Speed. In addition, Tom has designed over forty 3-D puzzles and is a published author. His writing includes several science fiction short stories and numerous articles on game design for the League of Game Makers.
Join our everything Manhattan Project Facebook group:
Risks and challenges
Minion Games is experienced in running Kickstarter Campaigns, having previously succeeding in publishing many other superb games and projects. More important than the ability to raise money is the ability to fulfill rewards - we have retained the same high-quality manufacturer and distributor throughout all of our projects so the risks and challenges are at a bare minimum. You can pledge with confidence that you will receive an excellent product at a reasonable price, while helping to make an independent small business a reality.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter