WHAT IS IT? It's an accessory for your I-Phones, Androids, I-Pads Touch Pads and Computers. Mimoto Smart Pen is the only multifunctional smart pen that records hand writing in real-time and gives Old Computers touch screen capabilities.
Amiweb : "Team of engineers and designers from Mimoto Tech have developed yet another innovative product"
AppleMagazine: "A fun and new way for students and working professionals to take notes"
iPhone Developers Journal: " It's a great product with a lot of potential to revolutionize the way we look at note taking"
Reuters: " Mimoto Tech's engineers used the latest Ultrasound and Infrared sensors to develop Mimoto Pen"
Daily News: "Mimoto Smart Pen enables touch screen capability on your computer; now that's innovative"
It looks and writes just like any other ballpoint pen but uses high powered ultrasound and infrared sensors, just like the once found in your popular gaming consoles to detect body motion. We modified our sensors to detect hand and pen motion. After attaching a receiver to the top of a standard sheet of paper the Mimoto Pen’s sensors go to work and start to record your hand writing and transfer it in real-time to any one of your portable devices.
Mimoto Smart Pen also turns your windows laptop or computer in to a touch screen! Simply attach the touch screen receiver to the side of your computer, change the pen's ink refill in to a stylus refill and you're ready to explore the full potential of touch screen capabilities. With the touch screen feature you can browse the web, play video games, draw or write, just like you would with a stylus.
In September 2012, after a long meeting with a client and taking extensive notes, one of our colleagues mistakenly placed his notes with the same pile of paper work that was to be recycled later that evening by the office maintenance staff. Next morning he was relentlessly looking for his notes, and of course for obvious reasons, he wasn't able to find them. This is how the idea for Mimoto Smart Pen was born. It originated as an idea to help prevent loss of notes and sketches during meetings, by creating an accessory for your Android phone that would record notes in real-time. We've done exactly on what we set out to achieve, however, since then our Android phone accessory has evolved in to something much more.
Today, the Mimoto Smart Pen prototype works as an accessory with your iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices, while at the same time working as a stand alone device, enabling touch screen capability on Windows based computers and laptops.
With your support we are ready for mass production!
We already completed one of the most critical portions of this project:
- We assembled a great team in Philadelphia and in Hong Kong
- We designed & engineered the smart pen to be mass-manufactured
- We built and tested 2 different prototypes before moving forward with the final design
- We completed additional rigorous testing just to make sure we got it right
- We pilot tested a production run of 25 additional Alpha units
Now we're nearly ready to set up full-scale manufacturing, to get you the Mimoto Smart Pen delivered as soon as possible. This last step is very critical and we need your support to get to the finish line. In order for us to mass produce our smart pen and to keep it affordable, we need manufacture at least 500 units for this to happen. To meet these requirements we need to raise additional funds in order to purchase the additional material for the assembly line. We can't do it without your support!
Please support us in any way that you can. Whether its liking us on Facebook, spreading the word to your family and friends, or backing us through Kickstarter, we truly appreciate all your support, no matter what form it comes in.
Our Progress: In October, 2012 we came out with our initial design of the smart pen we wanted to develop. By December we were already on the plane to Hong Kong to discuss this new project with our manufacturer. By February, 2013 we submitted our final cad drawings and by April of the same year our first bare prototype was developed.
Multifunction Options & Smart Technology
No other smart pen has the same amount of multifunctional capabilities as the Mimoto Smart Pen does.
1. Record hand written notes from paper and in real-time transfer them directly to your phone or a touchpad device.
2. Using our App, transfer your notes in three seconds to your favorite productivity apps or social media.
3. Record your hand written notes from paper without the use of your phone or touchpad. (Records directly to the device, up to 100 pages) Later just transfer the notes to your computer or any other smart device.
4. Easily transforms your PC or laptop in to a touch screen capable device.
5. Using the touch screen feature you can browse the web, play video games, and use it as stylus to draw and write on your PC.
- Technology - Ultrasound and Infrared image sensors, similar to your latest video game consoles.
- Connectivity- Wireless for real-time hand writing and USB connection for touch screen feature
- Connectivity to mobile devices - Through a Bluetooth connection
- USB connection / charging - 1 x USB-4pin type A
- Receivers unit battery life without Bluetooth on (stand alone mode) - 8 hours of continuous writing
- Receivers unit battery life with Bluetooth on - 5 hours of continuous writing
- Pen battery life - 90 hours of continuous writing
- Recharge time - About 2.5 hours
- Charge type: USB-4pin type A / pen and receiver
- Battery time: Lithium ion
- Coverage area - A4 standard paper size
- Coverage area for Touch Screen Feature - 26" screen
- Memory Capacity in Stand Alone Mode - 2MB (100 pages A4)
- Bluetooth range - 3.3 feet
Risks and challenges
Even though it's our first project on Kickstarter, its not our first project, where we successfully brought a prototype product to mass production. Since 2009 we have been working as facilitators for the outsource manufacturing sector in Hong Kong, Taiwan and Malaysia; helping small and large companies to design, prototype, and manufacture consumer electronic products using the same procedures that we are using currently to develop the Mimoto Smart Pen.
But just in case there are any surprises, our team has developed multiple contingency plans just in case something goes wrong. So rest assured that this project is in good and reliable hands.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (25 days)