Today 12/7 is the last chance to join in our Kickstarter! Reasons to join:
(1) You want the exclusive pin, print and/or T that is available only through this Kickstarter. Seriously!
(2) You would like a custom drawing, because commission requests will be closed indefinitely to prioritize fulfilling our Kickstarter's custom rewards <3
(3) You want to get your name in the book! Any Tier 6+ can still get into our special dedication page that will be actually printed in the book, a collection of Early Explorers we will hold near and dear to our hearts forever. We'll always remember you were there for us since the beginning, and we'll find ways to show you our appreciation through the years.
- (4) You believe in us and want to help make things. Just to be clear, 100% of these proceeds (after Kickstarter and the credit card companies take their 10%) go towards creating and shipping cool products for you.
Let's Go Explore is the first storybook for Mimochai. We want to share beautifully-illustrated stories with meaningful messages that can be loved by young and old alike. Your pledge not only funds the production of everything from this book to pins to prints, but also helps take us into the next chapter of Mimochai :D This is just the beginning!
Let's Go Explore is a storybook that follows a pair of explorers as they navigate through the stages of their journey. A series of illustrated moments grow into an adventure of greater discovery, experience, and understanding. Details:
- Hardcover printed book
- Measures 8" x 8"
- Approx. 44 full-color illustrated pages
- Additional pages and enhancements now added through unlocked stretch goals!
Psst... there's also a pair of sprites hidden in every spread! The sprites follow along as mini-guardians of the explorers as they travel through each spread. Not only are the sprites part of the story, they also make for a fun I-Spy side game, especially when reading with kids.
I wanted to launch this book in a way that was fun for everyone, and Kickstarter is perfect for that. Perks! Exclusives! Stretch goals! Early Bird!
Every book comes with a free sheet of stickers of all the sprites plus our brave explorers. Tip: Hide them in your own world—behind a door, under a rug, get creative!
*Update* Any pledge at Tiers 2+ now also comes with a bunch of free items from the unlocked stretch goals, including a sprite bookmark and digital LGE chat stickers! Details below.
In addition to the book, we've made special Kickstarter Edition LGE items available through the different tiers, including:
- Glow-in-the-dark sprite pin
- By popular demand—Sprites Glossary! A limited run 8"x10" premium screenprint (individually numbered)
- "The Plan" LGE edition t-shirt (exclusive colorway)
- Sprite Set, a specially-packaged set that includes all of the above
Stretch goals get unlocked when our total funds reach certain levels. These will upgrade your existing pledge (all Tiers 2 and up) at no extra cost to you! We just posted some new locked stretch goals, so if you'd like, please spread the word to friends+family :)
- #1 | $9,000: Add extra illustrated spread to book
- #2 | $10,000: LGE bookmark added to all books
- #3 | $12,000: LGE Process e-zine
- #4 | $15,000: LGE digital chat stickers
- #5 | $18,000: Special upgraded packaging
- #6 | $22,000: Enhanced E-book (animations, "I-spy sprites" interaction, more) UNLOCKED 11/27 :D
- #7 | $25,000: LGE Video Tutorial— Storyboarding and Basic Digital Painting!
- #8 | $30,000: Sprite Keychains! One included free with all orders Tier 2+
- #9 | ??? Cross that bridge if we get there!
[Early bird items are now over, but keeping this here for archive!]
1. Early Explorer Dedication Page. If you pledge as an Early Explorer during the first three days of the campaign (11/14-11/16), you'll not only receive a signed book but also get your name included in the book on a specially-illustrated dedication spread! Your early support means so much to me and I really want to honor that.
Note: There's still time to get on the Dedication Page— All pledges at Sky Sprite (Tier 6) and above will be included regardless of pledge time.
2. Limited Original Art Tiers. I've also made two Limited tiers that come with an original one-of-a-kind post-it drawing, inspired by the Giant Robot Post-it show that I participate in :)
As mentioned in the video, your pledge not only helps bring Let's Go Explore to life, but also the bigger picture of Mimochai.
If you'd simply like to contribute to our efforts without receiving physical items, you can do that too! You can really pledge any amount. Anything and everything is appreciated.
Plus, sharing this with your friends and family, in person or on social, really does help.
1. Is this book for kids? Adults?
Both! We really believe picture books can be for any age. We aim to share stories that can be appreciated by kids but also mean something more for adults who read them.
For illustration fans, you can also see it as an artbook/collection of illustrations that happens to be a story too :)
2. Wait... what is Kickstarter?
Kickstarter is a platform that allows people like you to contribute to creative projects to bring them to life. You're helping to fund the production of the project, that's why there is the wait time between the pledge and fulfillment. Once we launch the campaign, we can't change the goal amount or end date O_O!
An important aspect of Kickstarter is that it is "all or nothing." Your pledge only goes through if the campaign hits its goals, so it helps everyone to spread the word!
You back a project by selecting a pledge tier in the section to the right (on desktop). Here's a handy guide for what each tier includes:
3. When will I receive my items?
Getting books printed is a long process, so we thank you in advance for your understanding. They are expected to be ready by March 2018 and will be shipped as soon as we receive them. Please allow until April 2018. Digital items will be fulfilled before then. First edition e-books will be available by December 2017.
4. How do the tiers with custom drawings work?
Commissioned drawings really started everything for Mimochai. In an effort to honor this aspect of our growth, several Custom Drawing tiers are available. ALL custom pledge tiers will have the option to have their names included in the book, and will also receive signed books regardless of pledge time.
Custom work delivery will be handled on case-by-case basis. We will reach out to you after the campaign ends to coordinate all details with you. We will do our best to meet your needed timing, but please note only a few can be finished by Christmas, first pledged first served. Also, the March 2018 fulfillment date is for all non-custom items. If your custom work is scheduled to be completed before or after that time, we will ship each portion out separately.
Unfamiliar with my custom drawings? More info and examples here!
5. If I'm included on the dedication page, how will I give you my info? Or what if I need to change my name or address or size?
You'll be able to do all of this when you get notified about the Kickstarter fulfillment. When the campaign ends, you will receive a survey asking for the necessary information, including an option to opt out (we respect your privacy 100%).
** We will be very diligent about collecting the info, but please keep an eye out as there will be response deadlines. I am going to add every name by hand onto a specially-illustrated spread, so we'll need to confirm the list quickly in order to get the printer order in on time! If you do not respond to the survey in time, for safety of your privacy we currently plan to not include your name but will acknowledge you through an "Anonymous" shoutout **
6. How do the stretch goals work?
Stretch goals are items that get unlocked as we hit certain amounts. They enhance your existing pledge at no cost to you! So your pledge has a chance to keep getting better as the campaign grows and more people join in.
For example, if you pledge at the basic Fern (Beer) Sprite level, at the beginning of the campaign you received a book, stickers, and ebook. Now, as of 11/27, for no additional money you'll also get an extended version of the book packed in specially-designed upgraded packaging, a cool interactive digital book experience, plus a sprite bookmark, a digital zine with some of my LGE process and tips, and digital LGE chat stickers. And hopefully there's more to come!
Stretch goals are a fun way to keep Kickstarters exciting for everyone. We're able to do this because the more people that are backing it, the more we're able to make more cool fun things at a reasonable cost. Please note the stretch goal items will not be Kickstarter-exclusive, only the items purchased through the tiers are (glowing pin, Sprite Glossary, and The Plan LGE Tshirt). So thank you for joining in, everyone is glad you're here!
7. Can I order extras of items?
To keep things as simple as possible, we currently do not have that option, but if enough people ask in the Community section we will make it available :)
8. Is shipping really that much for international?
Agh I feel you. But yes, books are heavy and international shipping is expensive. I promise I am making NO money on shipping and packaging, in fact I end up covering a portion of the costs. I truly appreciate you international supporters and getting the item to you is so important to me!
9. I really need to use Paypal! Help?
Please try to use Kickstarter if at all possible so that the funding can be reflected in the goal amount. If you absolutely must use Paypal, please email me at email@example.com and we can help send you a pre-order link!
10. How else can I help you?
Thanks for wanting to help us! Besides pledging, the best thing you can do is to share this with friends, family and followers who you think might enjoy it. Genuine word of mouth is still the best way for this project to find its peoples.
Feel free to share the Kickstarter link bit.ly/letsgomimo along with any image from this page or our site mimochai.com.
Risks and challenges
(This is a section required by Kickstarter.)
1. Risk: This is my first Kickstarter. However: I've spent countless hours the last few weeks prepping for this campaign, corresponding with printers, figuring out the cost of production and shipping, watching and reading tips until my eyes hurt, etc. If you know me you know I work tirelessly to make things right. There may be unforeseen things that come up, but you can bet I have prepared as much as I can. And I would probably die of mortification before I let supporters down.
2. Risk: This is my first time mass-printing a book. However: I've published one children's book and self-published three fully-illustrated custom hardcover books in the past, and am very familiar with the requirements and quality control for these types of things.
Thank you for trusting and supporting me!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (23 days)