If you're hungry, you need noms. Stuck in traffic? You need tunes. If you're a Millennial at work, you need this book. Period. Read more
This project's funding goal was not reached on .
About this project
Millennials@Work: The 7 Skills Every Twenty-Something (and their Manager) Needs to Overcome Roadblocks and Achieve Greatness
About the Book
Work life is different from anything Millennials have experienced up to this point. Not because it is work, but because authority figures at work may appear very different from those they have encountered in their life so far. It is not an overstatement to say that many young professionals experience a hefty dose of culture shock when they enter the workforce.
The promise of the book is to help Millennials understand the challenges that can stand in the way of success and teach them the skills necessary for achieving greatness at work. Using years of research to back our advice, this book is a helpful tool that will help Millennials identify potential roadblocks in their career so they’ll know exactly what to do when they encounter them.
The Seven Skills
1. Build a Relationship - Take initiative for building a better working relationship with your managers and leaders by changing perceptual position, showing appreciation, matching communication and actively listening.
2. Ask for the Details - Actively seek direction on the work you’re responsible for. Ask who, what, when, where, and how, as well as seek out examples of what good work looks like.
3. See the Big Picture - Increase your organizational awareness by tapping into the experience and expertise of your managers, mentors and peers. Ask why a task or process exists and identify its impact on the organization.
4. Know When to Focus - Balance your ability to do several things at once by concentrating your energy, attention and enthusiasm each important project or outcome. Be aware of distractions when communicating.
5. Go for Feedback - Improve your performance by getting direct, honest feedback from your leaders, mentors and peers. Actively listen and avoid being defensive, then consider your response or next step. See all feedback as an opportunity.
6. Be Accountable - Send the message that you can be counted on by taking ownership of the results you are responsible for. Identify who will be affected by your work, agree on how you will measure success, and avoid making excuses or placing blame.
7. Recognize Your Value - Align your values, abilities and expectations with those of your organization in order to make the right contribution for the right reward. Avoid making assumptions about your value to the organization.
The Workplace Readiness Assessment measures attitudes and opinions in seven key areas. These skill areas have been shown to be important to success at work and reduce conflict between employees, managers and leaders. The score is not a grade, but it shows how Millennials think and feel in comparison with other respondents. The scores are shown as positive, negative or zero. If the score is positive, then the answers were generally higher in value than other Millennials. If the scores were negative, then the answers were generally lower in value. If the score was zero, then the answers matched the average.
About the Author
Chip Espinoza, Ph.D.
Dr. Chip Espinoza is the Co-author of Managing the MIllennials: Discover the Core Competencies for Managing Today’s Workforce and Director of the Organizational Psychology program at Concordia University Irvine. Chip is a leading expert on the subject of generational diversity in the workplace. He consults in the civic, corporate, and non-profit sectors. HIs client list features great organizations like The Boeing Company, Microsoft, Schneider Electric and is the go-to person for news agencies on the topic of integrating younger workers into organizations. He is a content expert for CNN On the subject of generational diversity in the workplace. He has also been featured on Fox News, CBS Radio, and in major publications. Chip was named a top 15 Global Thought Leader on the Future of Work by the Economic Times.
About the Project
Our Kickstarter project is to help us accomplish the following goals:
1. Printing and Inventory
2. Book Launch
3. Ongoing Promotion and Publicity
Risks and challenges
A few risks include delays in book printing, shirt printing, and the timing for the second print run to include new photos on the cover for those who pledge for that that item.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
We will be providing a standard ePub file with embedded illustrations to all backers who select the ebook. We intend on having the book available on Amazon Kindle, Apple iBooks, and Barnes & Noble.
Unisex XS, S, M, LG, XL and XXL. All cotton.
We work with your organization to set up the event. In the case of a Webinar, we can use whatever technology platform you use internally. Chip Espinoza will present an overview of the book, the research behind it and important takeaways for your Millennial employees and their managers. There is usually a question and answer session as well depending on time allotted and the needs of your group.
Pledge $3 or more
SUPPORT THE CAUSE: Donate $3 because you believe in the Millennial generation and want to support them in ANY way possible.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $10 or more
DIGITAL COPY OF THE BOOK: Receive a digital download of the book.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $30 or more
T-SHIRT AND BOOK: Get a #MILLENNIALMEETSWORLD t-shirt with an awesome graphic to impress all your friends and a hard copy of the book.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $40 or more
8 backers Limited (992 left of 1000)
AUTOGRAPHED COPY OF THE BOOK: Get a signed first edition of the bookEstimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $175 or more
0 backers Limited (160 left of 160)
GET YOUR PICTURE ON THE COVER: In the next printing of the book, we will put your picture on the cover! (Family-friendly photos only, of course, and you must be a Millennial.)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $200 or more
BOOK BUNDLE: Get ten copies of the printed book for employees, groups, organizations or friends.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $500 or more
1 HOUR OF CAREER COACHING WITH AN AUTHOR: Get an hour of over the phone coaching with one of the authors to ask advice about your career, prep for a job interview, or talk through a challenge you're having at work.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $1,500 or more
WEBINAR FOR YOUR ORGANIZATION WITH AN AUTHOR: Live customized webinar that introduces your employees to the concepts from the book with a Q&A session at the end.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $7,000 or more
LIVE KEYNOTE AT YOUR ORGANIZATION WITH AN AUTHOR: Chip Espinoza will present a live overview of the concepts from the book to your business, organization or event. Price includes travel within the continental US and hotel accommodations for the author.Estimated delivery:
- (30 days)