Mike, WHAT is this all about?
My name is Mike Mentz, and I'm a singer, songwriter, and traveler.
I'm almost finished recording my third studio album in Nashville. I'm really proud of how it's sounding, and I think you're going to dig it.
Travel is an integral part of my creative process. Like most of my music, these songs are ripped from what I experience while traveling all over the world. So with this record, instead of just putting out new songs, traveling around, and telling you the stories when I come back, I want to try something new to make the way you experience these songs a whole lot more immersive and vibrant. This time...
I'm TAKING YOU WITH ME on the trip of a lifetime.
With a few friends (including accomplished singer/songwriter/producer Michael Jade!) and an L.A. film crew (including award-winning director Tom Ptasinski!), I'm taking this new set of tunes to...
THAILAND!!! Over the course of a month, we'll travel to 10 different cities around Thailand to shoot acoustic music videos with epic backdrops for every song on the new record, and we'll make a documentary web series about the entire journey! The live acoustic versions played in Thailand will be compiled into a 'Live In Thailand' album that will be released as a companion to the new Nashville studio album. As backers of this project, you'll get to hear this double album before it's released to the public!
SO TO RECAP, here's what's on the way:
- Full-length studio album recorded in Nashville
- Full-length live acoustic album recorded all over Thailand
- Live acoustic video shoot in Thailand for every song
- Documentary web-series about the month-long journey
This project will be the biggest and best I've ever tackled, and I couldn't be more excited to bring you along on the journey.
WHY are you doing this, Mike?
Because I love it. Because these new tunes are special to me, and I want to share them with you in a memorable way. Because I've been on a mission to blend music and travel in new ways.
And because to my knowledge, no one has ever done something quite like this before. Like ever. So that's neat.
Surely you don't need $18,000! Where do those dollars go?
I am so super happy you asked, and I totally know the answer...
- Roundtrip airfare to Thailand for 5 people
- Wages for a film Director, Cinematographer, and Audio Technician
- Food & budget accommodations for 5 people for 1 month
- Multiple camera rental fees for 1 month
- Production insurance
- In-country transportation (trains, taxis, buses, boats)
- Extra gear purchases (GoPro, drone, lots of hard drives, etc.)
- ALL IN ADDITION TO recording, mixing, and mastering a top-quality full-length studio album in Nashville
To make this groundbreaking double-album + travel filming project the right way, I actually need over $36,000. I've already invested $18k of my own money to get this far, so my goal through this Kickstarter is to convince you to help me fund the other half.
To be honest, with everything this project will accomplish, a $36k budget is shoestringing at best. I'm only able to keep the budget this low because of very, very careful planning and a few people being very, very nice to me.
Why pledge now?
- Backers dance first! You'll get to hear the new tunes before anyone else does.
- Limited Availability! Most of the Rewards disappear after this Kickstarter ends. Get em while they're hot.
- I need you! For real. I've covered the costs of the studio album and some preliminary travel/team costs. But without your help, the whole Thailand shebang that makes this project so alive and unique and exciting doesn't happen.
What are these Rewards you speak of?
From pre-release copies of the new Double Album, to signed original lyrics, to private concerts, to a trip to Thailand to be there in person for the filming, you get GREAT STUFF for backing this project. Check out the full rewards list on the right hand side of this page.
Are there any stretch goals?
Wow, you are ON POINT with these questions, friend.
IF by some magic we exceed the $18k goal, some really cool stuff happens. I've thought of a handful of pretty sweet additional stretch goals, but we can cross those bridges if/when we come to them! Suffice it to say, it's in everyone's best interest to get this thing as far over the hump as possible.
(NOTE: Any extra dollars brought in over the $18k goal certainly won't be going to First Class flights or massages at beachfront hotels...any extra dollars will go to camera upgrades, better sound equipment, marketing, and last but not least higher wages for my kickass film crew. Basically, with more dollars this thing will be better in every way.)
Hey Mike, if I literally don't even have one dollar, can I still help?
YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT. (But first, I'm real sorry to hear that. Send me an e-mail, and I'll lend you a couple bucks.)
SHARE SHARE SHARE THIS! Anyone who shares this on FB/Twitter/Instagram/etc or just tells a friend before the end of the KS and e-mails me at email@example.com saying they did so will get a digital single sent to them before it's available to the public.
Whether you pledge $1 or $10000, whether you share this with a million followers on social media or just tell your best friend about it, I cannot easily express how grateful I am for your support. The best way I know how is to simply say THANK YOU.
Risks and challenges
Ohhhh mama. Like a good trip exploring somewhere you haven't been before, this project has a plethora of risks and challenges.
Hepatitis A, for example.
Pertinent to this Kickstarter, though, the chief risks and challenges, in no pariticular order, are:
- NOT HITTING THE KICKSTARTER GOAL. We've got the dream, the right plan, and the right team in place, but If we don't kick that Kickstarter goal up to fully funded, this doesn't happen.
- WEATHER OR TRANSPORTATION DELAYS. In Thailand, we plan to film in a lot of different cities all over the country. Naturally, unforeseen weather and/or transportation delays may throw us off our schedule. In this event, we'll do what you do when traveling anywhere: go with it. We'll improvise and find new filming opportunities that might be even more vibrant than the ones we thought of to begin with.
- RELEASE DELAY. The editing process is a fickle beast. It's possible that after we return from our travels, polishing and preparing all of the music and video will take longer than expected and delay the anticipated release date. Should this be the case, we will of course keep everyone updated with the new timetable. All of that said, we'll do everything we can to get all of this out by December.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (29 days)