Greetings, I'm Michael Manomivibul (Man-o-mi-vi-bul)
I've been working as a freelance illustrator since 2009 and now I want to collect the very best of my work into a book. I'm here asking for your support to help me create an art book we can be proud of!
FATHOMS: The Art of Michael Manomivibul is a 76 page, 9x12 inch, softcover book printed on heavyweight paper, the cover will be 12pt cardstock with a beautiful foil stamped title. A limited edition hardcover book will be also available during this Kickstarter.
FATHOMS will contain the work that has been the most important to my growth as an artist, spanning from 2009 to the present. Inside you'll find notes about my process, my experiences and my thoughts behind the artwork. It is my hope that you will gain more insight into where my work stems from and who I am as an illustrator. This book is an archive, a snapshot, of my career up until this point and I am thrilled to share it.
Most of the work in this book has not been published. Until now, some images have been available as art prints. I am excited to announce that FATHOMS will include the complete Flotsam and Jetsam series which hasn't been available for purchase since 2009.
Examples of the art you will find in FATHOMS can be found throughout this page. To see more of my work, head to www.mikemanoart.com"
At this point I am talking to more printers about increasing the overall quality of the book beyond anything I could have anticipated previously. Many more doors are now open and it's all because of you! This is an "Open" stretch goal, MAKING THE BEST QUALITY BOOK POSSIBLE!
20,000 Stretch Goal: REACHED! Now all physical reward tier backers (Swimming and up) get a free 9x12 print "OF THE DEEP" The piece used on the cover of FATHOMS!
30,000 Stretch goal: At 300% funding I will create a new original piece and record the process, creating my first process video/tutorial! This video will be exclusive to all backers.
There is a wide range of backer tiers for any budget! All contributions help immensely and all are hugely appreciated.
Shipping within the U.S is free for all backers, Unfortunately international shipping costs are too expensive for me to cover completely but I am covering some of the cost, about the equivalent of U.S shipping.
- TESTING THE WATERS $1 - Thank you! Every bit helps so much.
- WADING IN $10 - You will receive a digital PDF copy of FATHOMS to view on your computer and digital devices.
- SWIMMING $28 - Here we go! receive a printed softcover copy of FATHOMS, each copy will be signed.
- DIVE $36 - Really diving now! Receive a limited Kickstarter exclusive edition art print of "Peculiar Nobility". Printed on 9x12 acid free watercolor paper, each print will be signed and numbered. This version will only be for kickstarter backers. You will of course also receive your signed copy of FATHOMS. (See image of print below)
- HARD HAT DIVER $49 - Get your heavy gear on, the pressure is building up! Receive a limited hardcover edition of FATHOMS! Each copy will be signed and numbered. You will also receive the exclusive art print.
- CUSTOM FITTED GEAR $58 - Your gear is made custom for you, ready for anything! Your limited hardcover copy comes with an ink sketch on a removable book plate. You can keep the sketch in your book or display it separately. Your book is signed and numbered and you will also receive the exclusive print.
- ATMOSPHERIC SUIT $84 - Full submarine ironman! This is for the completionist, this tier gets you the an ink sketch in your hardcover edition of FATHOMS. You will also receive a set of prints from the Flotsam & Jetsam series and a set from the Intertidal series! These are the most iconic of my works. Prints are 8.5x11, four prints each for a total of 8 prints. Of course you will also receive the exclusive print (see sample images of prints below)
- BATHYSPHERE (UPDATE: SOLD OUT) - Going deep now. This tier entitles you to a 8x10 ink wash commission from me on the subject of your choice! Each piece be created on archival hot press watercolor paper. This tier also gets you the ink sketch hardcover edition of FATHOMS and the exclusive print (see above rewards for more details)
- CRUSHING (UPDATE: SOLD OUT) - Diving deeper than almost anyone else can bare! At this level you will receive the original painting of "Peculiar Nobility". This tier also gets you the sketch hardcover edition of FATHOMS and the exclusive print (see above rewards for more details)
- KRAKEN! (UPDATE: SOLD OUT) - You are of the deep, you RULE! Receive the original painting Of The Deep, a 12x16 ink wash piece used on the cover of FATHOMS. Of course you will also receive ink sketch the hardcover edition of FATHOMS and the exclusive print (see above rewards for more details).
I'm asking for $10,000 to fund the creation of this book. Let me break down where that money will be going.
- $6,400 is going towards actually producing the book. The book is 76 pages, 9x12 softcover printed on heavy matte paper. The cover will be 12pt stock with an foil stamped title. A limited run of hardcover copies will be produced as well.
- $2,400 is to be used to ship to backers, this includes postage, supplies and handling. I am offering shipping within the US for free as a thank you to backers. International shipping is too much to offer for free but I am covering a portion of it for international backers.
- $800 to Kickstarter and processing fees.
- $400 buffer and emergency funds for any unforeseen complications. Pizza dinners for friends willing to help with packing.
The book will be sent off to print ASAP after the campaign funds get back to me, usually two weeks after the campaign ends. The books are being printed with Print Ninja, a trusted printer with a lot of crowd funded project and art book printing experience.
Barring any random snags with customs inspections, the books should be in the States about 10-12 weeks after the campaign ends. I will work as quickly as possible to correctly ship everyone their copies. I estimate this to take about 3-4 weeks.
I will be using Backerkit to help with post campaign fulfillment logistics and tracking, if your a kickstarter semi regular you've probably already been on the receiving end of a backerkit survey. This will also allow me to offer post campaign add-ons for those of you wanting extra books and other items
I am but one man so please bare with me. I love Kickstarter and the community behind it. I will happily keep you all informed every step of the way via email updates.
I was born in Boston, MA but grew up in Bangkok, Thailand. I spent all my childhood obsessively watching Mysteries of the Deep with Jacques Cousteau and any other ocean based National Geographic special I could get my hands on. When I wasn't drawing ocean stuff I was drawing robots and knights.
I went back to the States for college and graduated from California College of the Arts in 2007 with a degree in Illustration. Fresh out of school I worked full time at an art store while struggling to launch my freelance career. It's not been easy but since 2012 I have been doing illustration full time.
My focus has always been on illustrating for books and comics. I've worked on projects for Tor books, Scholastic, Scientific American and even illustrated The Princess Bride: An Illustrated Edition for the book's 40th anniversary!
I work in sumi ink, building up my piece with layers of ink wash, playing with texture and value. I tend to finish with digital color or glazes of colored inks and watercolor. Mystery, atmosphere and an open narrative are what I strive for in each and every piece.
I've been passionately collecting art books for forever and have always dreamed of making my own, I'm hoping to realize that dream now.
Thank you for your consideration and support, I owe my career to the generosity of people like you.
Risks and challenges
This is my first self published book project, there will be a learning curve.
That said, I have been working as a publishing illustrator for years now and know how to take something to print. I will be printing with PRINT NINJA, a trusted printer who has worked with many other crowdfunded projects, I own several books printed by them and am very happy with their work.
This is also the first Kickstarter campaign I've run, though I have been involved in several campaigns prior to this. I've built in generous financial padding to this project's funding goal, to make sure that any unforeseen hurdles don't sink the ship.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)