On day 3, Maximum Apocalypse funded with 3 apocalyptic themes and 6 survivor classes everything added up to 350+ cards with 120+ unique illustrations. We have unlocked ALL 22 STRETCH GOALS that have added more content and better components.
Stretch Goal Content in Detail
- Robot Apocalypse, 30 extra cards including 3 new missions.
- Community Apocalypse, 30 extra cards including new bosses and missions.
- New Survivor: The Scientist, a new versatile character class of 20 cards.
- New Survivor: Army Ranger, a sniper and crowd control character class of 30 cards.
- Upgraded Components: card dividers, cardboard tiles, custom wooden tokens, component and card upgrades, etc.
- 3 Kickstarter Exclusive Promo Cards: Fireman boss card, alternate hunter and gunslinger card.
- 8 New Game Tile Locations: Amusement Park, Desert, Mountains, Factory, Oasis, Prison, Airport and the Military Base
Maximum Apocalypse is now stretched to perfection and Kickstarter backers are getting the first 82 card expansion for Free as part of this campaign. The game is as good as it can possibly be right now!
Please take a look at the Whats in the Box? and Stretch Goals sections below for more details on all the amazing content in store for Kickstarter backers.
Thank you all for an unbelievably fun, positive and successful campaign!
Maximum Apocalypse is a cooperative roguelike adventure game for 1-6 players. Civilization has already fallen. The players must survive the hostile landscape.
The game map is randomly generated and different every time that you play. On each turn, a player can use up to four actions to explore the map, play cards, equip weapons, scavenge for resources, draw cards or battle off monsters.
Picking a unique survivor class within the group, players must plan their strategy and work together while leaning on their survivor’s strengths in order to defeat monsters and avoid starvation. For example, the Fireman is deadly up close with his ax and can easily chop down monsters; meanwhile the stealthy Hunter is great at scouting the map and avoiding traps — but roaming monsters are gathering quickly and time is running out. If players are overwhelmed by monsters or die of starvation, they lose. If they can find enough fuel and get it back to their van to escape, they all win and live to play another scenario.
As a survivor of the apocalypse, players will equip weapons, battle monsters, draw cards and scavenge the post-apocalyptic wasteland looking for useful supplies.
Cooperation is key in this deep game of survival.
It's Different Every Time you Play
Maximum Apocalypse comes with (at least) 3 totally different post-apocalyptic scenarios. When you mix these scenarios with different monsters, map tiles, scavenge items, missions and characters classes, you get a near infinite amount of combinations and maps with tons of replayability.
- Zombie - Don't get overwhelmed by the Undead...luckily they're not too bright.
- Nuclear - Be prepared to give away your gear to nasty raiders before facing poisonous mutant rats.
- Alien - Race against the clock as the aliens force you to discard your deck as they work to ensure the enslavement of humanity.
- Robot - Fight the never ending replication and efficiency of your robotic overlords.
Choose your Survivor
- The Fireman is sturdy, strong and acts as the tank of the group. With his axe in hand, he is a massive short range damage dealer.
- The Hunter is stealthy and precise. She can scout the landscape for danger and is deadly with her bow and traps.
- The Gunslinger can deal midrange damage with his trusty revolvers as long as he has ammunition.
- The Surgeon supports the group by restoring health and boosting team performance with shots of adrenaline.
- The Veteran and his Dog are a team unto themselves. The Vet has plenty of old military gear and his dog has excellent instincts. He's trained to scout and attack if necessary.
- The Mechanic is a support class that can upgrade weapons, build defensive turrets or even call in a drone strike to clear a path forward.
- The Scientist (KS BONUS!) is a quick learner that can adapt to the situation and research new skills and weapons.
- The Army Ranger (KS BONUS!) is a sniper that can remove monster tokens and help control the onslaught of monsters.
Explore and Survive!
Every turn, Players take 4 actions to explore the randomized map, fight off monsters, play cards and scavenge for resources.
There are two types of cards you can play on your turn: Instants and Gear.
Instants are one shot cards that you play for their effect and then are discarded. Gear is equipped and takes up inventory slots but stays in play giving you access to new abilities. You will need to equip weapons and other gear to help you survive and fight dangerous roaming monsters.
As you explore the map, you’ll come across new locations. Some of them are good and some can be very bad.
Once your turn is over, your hunger increases and monsters attack so you'll want to work together as a team to optimize your actions.
Complete your Objective and Escape
As part of setup, players will select a mission or scenario. Most missions require finding a particular location and collecting enough fuel to escape.
For example, an early mission is to rescue a Scientist who may be able to cure the Zombie outbreak. In that scenario, the Scientist has barricaded himself in the Police Station. Players will search for the police station, rescue the scientist and then bring him back to the van to escape.
Once you've completed the mission objective and collected the required fuel, you'll have to hightail it back to your van to escape. There may even be a mighty boss to face on your race back.
Download our Free Prototype PNP here.
If you have tabletop simulator, check out our digital prototype here.
- 6 Unique Survivor Decks of 30 Cards - Fireman, Gunslinger, Surgeon, Hunter, Veteran & his Dog, and the Mechanic (180 Cards)
- 4 Apocalyptic Scenarios with 25 Card monster decks - Zombie, Nuclear Wasteland, Rise of the Robots and Alien Invasion (100 Cards)
- 7 Character Cards and 6 Player standees
- 6 Player Reference Cards.
- 9 Boss Cards
- 80 Card Scavenge Deck
- 35 Map Tiles
- 30 Wooden Monster Tokens
- 30 Wooden Ammo Tokens
- 12 WoodenFuel Tokens
- 20 Poison Tokens
- 60 Hit Point Tokens
- 2 16mm Dice
- 6 12mm Dice
- 1 Scavenge Board (2 sided with colorblind side)
- Mission Cards (13 Campaign Missions)
- 1 Scientist Card
Maximum Apocalypse is modular and expandable, so you can look forward to more apocalyptic scenarios and new survivor classes in the future to mix up your play experience. But if you back now and spread the word... we just might be able to squeeze more into the box! All the unlocked Stretch Goals (except for the play mat add-on) are included for free to all $40+ backers .
You can click on any of the images above to be taken to an update that explains the stretch goals in more detail.
"Let me be absolutely clear – you have not played a game like this before. Gaming groups that may be reluctant to break out completed campaign settings in other games will find the randomized roguelike map and lack of an overlord refreshing." - BoardGameQuest
Other Press Links
- MFG Cast Interview
- Dukes of Dice Podcast
- Tatooine TableFlip Video
- Unfiltered Gamer Review
- TIGR Video Preview
- Nerd It Here First Preview
You can manually change the amount of your pledge and then use the extra money to add-on any of these extra goodies!
- Add $40 to your pledge for each additional copy of Maximum Apocalypse (with all stretch goals)
- Add $15 to your pledge for our KS exclusive MA player mat ($10 each if you order 4 or more)
- Add $15 to your pledge for our exclusive Brass Empire game mat
- Add $40 to your pledge for each additional copy of Brass Empire
You will be able to specify all the rewards that you want to receive in our post-project surveys and/or pledge manager.
We will be charging flat shipping for this campaign. We know that shipping (especially internationally) can be annoyingly expensive; believe us, we are just as annoyed as you are! We are continuing to work toward minimizing the cost of shipping as much as possible. We don't want to stick anyone with a large shipping bill long after the campaign is over, so we will be subsidizing shipping equally in all regions so that we can charge affordable flat rate shipping:
- United States + UK: $5
- Canada + Australia: $10
- European Union: $10 - $15 (Depending on Country & Reward)
- Switzerland, Norway: $15
- Everywhere Else: $20
We plan on using customs-friendly shipping and fulfillment companies in each region to keep shipping costs as low as possible so that you can back more games! As a result, you should not get hit with customs, brokerage, or import fees.
Shipping is annoyingly expensive. However, to help offset the shipping costs a bit, there are workarounds. The shipping rates will remain fixed regardless of the number of games or add-ons that you purchase. If you have a bunch of friends who want to support this project, just make one group pledge for as many games as you’d like.
We like to support game stores around the world by offering the special Kickstarter versions of the game to retailers during the campaign. We treat retailer backers just like other backers in that they receive their rewards before we release regular retail games into distribution. If you're a retailer, please contact Mike directly at firstname.lastname@example.org during the campaign for pricing information or back at the Retailer Pledge Level and we will be in touch.
Rock Manor Games successfully funded Brass Empire at the end of 2015 through Kickstarter. It was released 8 months later and subsequently sold out in limited distribution. We had so much fun making that game that we've been working on a bunch of new projects over the past few years and hope to have a very busy 2017-2018. The reception we've received has been amazing and we are thrilled to continue our work in the game industry.
About the Team
Mike Gnade is a 10 year game industry veteran based in Wilmington, Delaware where he lives with his family. He is obsessed with games of all kinds and is the designer and producer behind Maximum Apocalypse. He has been deeply involved in the indie gaming scene creating his own games and founding sites like IndieGameMag.com and IndieGameStand.com before designing his own tabletop games.
Gustav Rangmar is a freelance illustrator and concept artist from Sweden. He is the one responsible for all of your gorgeous artwork. You can see more of his work here.
Matt Cangialosi, our lead playtester and marketing guru, is a gaming fanatic based up in Boston, MA. His early feedback was essential and assisted with additional game design and playtesting.
Martin Lauzon is a freelance Canadian video producer/animator and did an amazing job putting together our Kickstarter video. You can contact him at email@example.com.
Risks and challenges
We are fortunate to have gone through the Kickstarter process before and delivered our games to our backers in about 8 months from our project's end date. We attribute a lot of this speed to getting all of the core artwork completed upfront and have done the same with this project. We pride ourselves on communicating with our backers and impressing them by meeting deadlines and delivering an excellent product.
As with turning any idea into a physical product, any number of problems can get in the way. While we can’t control everything, we can control our communication to our backers. Delays may happen, dates may change, but we will always be transparent and keep our backers in the loop.
PRODUCTION & SHIPPING
We plan on using the same manufacturers and fulfillment pipeline that we have used in the past to minimize complications and ensure a high quality product.
Draft rules are available now under the Gameplay section. Please provide any feedback on them so that we can finalize the text and the rulebook shortly after the campaign.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
By pledging to this project, you acknowledge that the final look, materials and content of the rewards (and the project) are subject to change and may differ from what is presented while the Kickstarter project was active.
You are responsible for confirming your pledge, address and other information required to ship your product to you in a timely manner. If you do not log in and confirm your pledge within 8 weeks of our notification via email to confirm your pledge, you agree that we have fulfilled our obligations to you in full for payment or donations received. However, we may, at our discretion, refund or ship your pledge if you contact us and confirm your pledge after the 8 week window has elapsed.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)