Ti2 TechLiner Pen
A titanium pen body for the Uni-Ball Signo 207 refill.
Welcome to the Ti2 TechLiner pen project here on Kickstarter.
In art school we were required to use technical pens for our design classes. These "needle point" pens offered open sight lines for great precision and use with rulers and french curves. As a sequel pen project we decided to design a titanium heirloom quality "tech" pen for everyday use.
Magnetically retained cap -- The TechLiner shares the same philosophy as the original Ti2 Pen project... Cap retention without threads. Using 3 rare earth magnets, the cap is pulled on tip or tail with approximately 2 lbs of force. We've accomplished this with a unique custom ring magnet that fits around the tip of the Signo 207 refill series.
Machined grip -- When we designed the Techliner we wanted a tactile grip surface comfortable for extended writing sessions. The machined "grid" pattern offers a non-slip, secure grip
DFM -- Designed For Manufacturing. The TechLiner has only 3 unique parts. Lower unique part count means less setup, tooling cost and machine time in turn getting your rewards out quicker!
Lanyard Cap Add On:
Over the course of the project we had a number of requests for a lanyard cap.
*Please note, the caps will be tumbled so any sharp edges will be softened.
We are only offering these as an add on. This means you will get 2 caps.
Pricing for the lanyard cap is:
- $20 for regular tumble finish
- $25 for Gonzodized finish
- $30 for either Black Edition or Blackwash
If you would like to add this to your current pledge, you can modify your pledge and add the above lanyard cap amount to reflect.
Current Pledge $75 for Gonzodized TechLiner
Modify pledge $75 + $25 (lanyard cap) = $100
You can keep the selected reward.
After the project ends you'll be able to let us know what your getting on the survey. If you have a question shoot us a message.
Tumbled -- New for this project, the TechLiner is bead blasted and tumbled in a proprietary stone wash. The finish is smooth and wear resistant perfect for everyday carry. ** finish may vary slightly
Gonzodized -- A unique method of anodizing developed by fellow KS creator Brad Martin. The result is a unique 2 tone Blue/Gold Patina that beautifully evolves with wear. ** finish may vary slightly
Black Edition -- PVD (physical vapor deposition) method offers a deep black DLC (diamond like coating) finish. ** finish may vary slightly
- Blackwash -- Same Finish as the "Black Edition" Then polish tumbled for a smooth black finish great for EDC ** finish may vary slightly
Uni-Ball Signo 207 Refill
Choosing the Uni-Ball Signo 207 refill was easy! We ordered in a multitude of refills and the crew unanimously chose the Uni-Ball Signo 207 and here's why:
The Signo 207 series pioneered the industry with its anti-fraud ink. Sign checks or important documents with peace of mind.
.38mm -- (Uni-Ball refers to as ultra-micro) Similar to the coveted .4mm HiTec C in writing characteristics
.5mm -- (Uni-Ball refers to as micro) Similar to the coveted .5mm HiTec-C in writing characteristics
.7mm -- In our opinion the ultimate EDC (every day carry) size. Awesome for general use on a variety of media
1mm -- (uni-ball refers to as bold) Big, bold with great visibility.
Colors -- Available in 12 colors.
Price -- Refills are available worldwide for $2.50 a pair!
Titanium Construction -- Fully machined from billets and tubing of CP2 (commercially pure) grade 2 titanium.
Magnets -- Neodymium N42 magnets.
Length -- 5.8" Diameter -- .375"(body) .4375"(cap) Weight -- 40grams
Clips are water-jetted from Grade 5, tumbled and formed on custom bending jigs. Add $10 to your pledge if you'd like us to install one on your Techliner.
We need your help to raise the funds for a moderate size manufacturing run of the custom magnets. The success of this project depends heavily on getting the word out. Every blog or social networking post counts, so please share. Thanks for your support.
Risks and challenges
I have a background in design, machining and experience managing production jobs. I know the kinds of problems that arise in the shop and how to deal with them quickly and efficiently.
If this project funds and in order to fulfill we will need to:
1. Source Material -- Titanium -- Multiple vendors and quotes are lined up.
2. Machine the parts -- Lowest risk of the process, our machines are optimized for parts like this insuring quick production and high quality parts.
3. Finishing -- We have multiple finishing tumblers that can accommodate the tumbling needs. Finishes are performed by a reputable companies that we have a long standing relationships with. They have always offered good communication, fast turnaround and a great product. They did the pictured prototypes and their team has reviewed our project, offered quoting. We have contingency coating companies in case something changes.
4. Fulfillment -- We do our fulfillment in house to offer direct communication with our backers. Our experience on our last projects have helped us develop accurate fulfillment protocol.
The success of this project depends heavily on getting the word out. Every blog or social networking post counts, so please share. Thanks for your support.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (40 days)