About this project
Did you know you can use your backyard grill to bake the best pizza you've ever eaten?
The Mighty Pizza Oven 2 is a pizza oven insert for outdoor gas grills that recreates the ideal baking conditions in professional brick ovens for a fraction of the cost. The MPO2 heats up quickly and bakes pizzas to perfection in less than 5 minutes each (typically 2-4 minutes).
Pledge for your Mighty Pizza Oven 2 and delight your family and friends with professional quality pizzas full of delicious homemade goodness and your favorite quality ingredients.
What's special about the Mighty Pizza Oven 2?
The best pizzas are baked quickly and at very high temperatures. That's how you get that puffy, crispy crust and perfectly cooked toppings before your pizza has time to dry out. The Mighty Pizza Oven 2 was designed to do just that without any of the drawbacks of other pizza ovens.
The problem is that most home pizza ovens are just not hot enough for baking pizza properly. Some waste lots of energy. Others are bulky or expensive. And even if you actually had the space and money to invest in a traditional brick oven, you would still need to wait for hours just for your oven to heat up.
My answer to that was to create the original Mighty Pizza Oven last year. Pizza expert TXCraig1 on the PizzaMaking.com forums was delighted when he tried it out, and he described the original MPO as “the little pizza oven that could”. Since then, I produced and sold a small batch of MPOs, gaining valuable fans and lots of glowing reviews along the way.
After another year of experimenting (and lots of pizza tasting!) I’m back with a new and improved pizza oven design that is bigger and literally hotter too!
Say hello to the Mighty Pizza Oven 2 and get ready to fire up your backyard grill and bake the best pizzas you've ever eaten.
If you want to delight your family and friends with your favorite type of pizza baked to perfection in minutes, don’t miss this opportunity. Pre-order your low-cost, lightweight and fuel-efficient Mighty Pizza Oven 2 today!
There is also a whole variety of great pizza-related rewards you can enjoy at all pledge tiers. We thank you for your support, fellow pizza lovers! And of course, spread the word and tell your friends!
Even if you can’t pledge for your Mighty Pizza Oven 2 right now, be a Pizza Hero and support the Mighty Pizza Oven 2 project. To show our heart-felt appreciation for all your help, there’s a whole variety of great pizza-related rewards you can enjoy at all pledge tiers. We thank you for your support, fellow pizza lovers! And of course, spread the word and tell your friends too!
Read on to find out more about the Mighty Pizza Oven 2 and the exciting changes I've made to the original design. Also Visit MightyPizzaOven.com for more information, FAQs, and everything you want to know about making awesome pizza at home.
Here's what expert bloggers and MPO owners have been saying about the original Mighty Pizza Oven (shown below):
Albert Grande at PizzaTherapy.com wrote: “I used the MPO at a recent pizza party. I cooked for a large hungry crowd of pizza fanatics. There were oos and ahhs each time I produced a new pizza. the pizza cooked quickly and completely! The pizza cooked in a matter of minutes. Simply outstanding. The pizzas were amazing. There was a nice char to the bottom to the pizza. The top of the pizza was totally cooked.
I totally recommend the MPO for anyone who wants to make great pizza.” (Read Albert’s full Mighty Pizza Oven review)
J. Kenji Lopez at Slice.SeriousEats.com evaluated the Mighty Pizza Oven side by side with another pizza making equipment and concluded:“[The Mighty Pizza Oven is] an excellent, well-crafted product that certainly offers a good pizza oven option to folks who prefer the convenience of gas over the higher heat of coal. I heartily recommend it.”(Read Kenji’s full Mighty Pizza Oven review)
And here is what some of our Amazon customers had to say:
Rob Baker ( Massachusetts United States) commented on update #10: “I've had my original MPO for over a year and I'm committed to purchasing my second thru this offer. I haven't warn out my first as it is still being used weekly, the unit will last a lifetime. My second purchase is for a second home so I can have pizza cooked in less then 3 minutes at either home. Thanks Bert I believe you have produced a great product.”
Dana R. "Dana" (Los Gatos, CA) said: “My family owns professional pizza ovens, we were looking for a unit that could be used more spontaneously ( true wood burning ovens need to be heated the day before), and produce better results than in my Wolf oven. This oven really delivers! Great quality, gets to 700 plus easily, and works great on my weber genesis.”
Amazon Customer "Just Jim" (Houston, TX USA) said: “The Mighty Pizza Oven (MPO, for short) bakes a crispy and delicious pizza. I'm very impressed with it. My first use was a success and I baked two additional pizzas to feed my guests who were scarfing pizza at an alarming rate. Even the children who are normally picky eaters stuffed themselves on this pizza. So, as a cook, I was very happy.”
Martin Gregorski (Philadelphia, PA United States) said: “My buddy built a wood burning pizza oven in his back yard, it takes about 4 hours to get hot enough to cook the pizzas, cost about $1000 bucks and he has the skills required to put in a foundation, lay the bricks, insulate it, and make it look nice. His pizzas are wonderful. While I am not saying that the Mighty Pizza Oven is better, it is darn close. For a 1/5 of the cost, way less time, and zero construction skills required.”
And I stand by this – no other oven on the market today can achieve what I was able to do with the amount of heat I used. No one comes even close.
Where’s the Proof? Well, take a look!
I have baked and cooked almost anything from pizzas to breads and meats in the Mighty Pizza Oven. It's great for much more than just pizza and a general cooking tool for daily use with your outdoor grill. Below are some dishes I have successfully (and deliciously!) cooked in my Mighty Pizza Oven.
New York Pizza -- these pies were actually baked by Ryan, a fellow member at the pizzamaking.com forum. Look at that crust!
Neapolitan pizza -- Look at this delicious classic margherita pie with a thin crispy layer on the outside and soft chewy on the inside.
Deep Dish Pizza -- Take a look at this Chicago style pizza, loaded with toppings and cooked to perfection!
White Pizza -- Lemon, rosemary and thyme. Who needs tomato sauce when you have such a refreshing combination! Try it out for yourself or come up with your own creation.
Sourdough Bread -- Look at this loaf of bread I baked. And that crunchy crust! I told you the Mighty Pizza Oven is not just for pizzas. Pita or Flatbread -- Did you know pita bread is the ancient ancestor of pizza? The Mighty Pizza Oven 2 can bake perfect pita bread too.
Steaks -- Perfectly charred, with a juicy, tender inside. Yum!
Brisket -- I just wrapped the brisket in foil, popped it in the MPO and got this mouth-watering result.
Sausages -- Because there’s no harm in a bit of indulgence now and then.
How does the Mighty Pizza Oven 2 work?
The Mighty Pizza Oven 2 draws heat from your grill’s flame and reproduces the cooking conditions in a brick oven, where the best pizzas have traditionally been made. Like a brick oven, the Mighty Pizza Oven 2 cooks your pizza in three important ways: conduction, radiant heat and convection.
- Conduction – heat is transferred to the bottom of the pizza by direct contact with the bottom stone, resulting in a crisp and crunchy pizza base.
- Radiant Heat – the top stone heats up and reflects and radiates heat back to the pizza topping and the top part of the crust, cooking your pizza to perfection and giving it a mouth-watering golden-brown color.
- Convection – as hot air escapes from the chimney, fresh moist air is drawn into the Mighty Pizza Oven from outside, heated up, and circulated over your pizza, to make sure the topping ingredients retain their texture and flavor and do not dry out.
The Mighty Pizza Oven 2 is bigger and hotter than ever!
“Improvise, innovate, improve” is my motto as an engineer, and I’m always trying to find ways to make things work better.
Here are the main improvements I made over the original Mighty Pizza Oven:
- Bake even bigger pizzas - I increased the diameter of the bottom stone from 13” to 14.37”, so you can enjoy even more pizza goodness.
- Reach higher temperatures faster - Here's one improvement that may sound counter-intuitive: a slightly smaller top stone. With the top pizza stone now 14.37” x 16” instead of 15” x 16”, the Mighty Pizza Oven 2 gets hotter in less time.I also added an insulation panel above the top stone, to contain the heat and allow the stone to get even hotter. The insulation panel is the same size as the MPO2's lid and has an opening on one side that allows hot air to flow through to the chimney.For maximum heat, simply turn the insulation panel around so the opening is on the other side. This redirects the hot air so it passes over the top of the stone before it exits the chimney, making the top stone even hotter still.
- ·Enjoy better access to your pizzas - I modified the back of the Mighty Pizza Oven 2 to give it a new, angled shape that lets you lift the MPO on grill with around 3" before it touches the back of the grill. In this case, you should be able to get enough clearance to lift the MPO2's lid 6” by sliding the oven one inch away from the back of the grill.The angled back also enhances heat flow by channeling more heat over the pizza top.
The Mighty Pizza Oven 2 is extremely simple and easy to use!
The Mighty Pizza Oven 2 is as easy to use as the original Mighty Pizza Oven shown in the video below. The process is similar, with just an extra step.
Heat the Mighty Pizza Oven with the top stone and insulation panel in place on your grill for 10-15 minutes or until top stone reaches your desired temperature. Then lift MPO2 and place the bottom stone on your grill beneath it and let the bottom stone heat up till it reached your desired temperature. That’s all there is to it - you’re ready to bake your delicious pizzas!
- An IR thermometer gun (not included with the MPO2) is a useful tool to determine MPO2 stone’s temperature.
- Use 2.5 to 3 burners for Neapolitan style pizza, 2 burners on medium to high for NY style pizza, 2 burners on low for Deep dish pizza and bread, and 1 or 2 burners on low for a slow cooking meal like brisket or roast. (This is a guideline based on an energy output of 12500 btu per burner. The power of each burner varies from grill to grill.)
The Mighty Pizza Oven 2 is the fast, easy and affordable way for you to bake all kinds of great pizza and many more dishes too!
The Mighty Pizza Oven 2 is:
- Inexpensive – bake brick oven-style pizza for just a fraction of the cost of a brick oven
- Super fast and fuel efficient – the Mighty Pizza Oven 2 is quick to heat up to baking temperature and bakes your pizzas to perfection in just 2 to 4 minutes (the exact time depends on your grill, flour type as well as environmental factors including external temperature, high winds, etc)
- Easy to set up and use – if you can grill a burger you can use the Mighty Pizza Oven 2 and learn to bake perfect pizzas
- Compact and portable – lightweight and easy to carry around, so you can throw a pizza party at a friend’s house or outdoors whenever you like
- Compatible with a variety of heat sources – most ovens are designed to work with one kind of heat source, but I was able to use the Mighty pizza oven with chaffing fuel cans, gas stove top, charcoal and 10,000 btu portable gas burners
- Very versatile – Unlike some ovens that are restricted by their temperature limit, the Mighty Pizza Oven 2 can be used for any type of pizza. Bake deep dish pizza (at a low 500 Deg.F), New York style pizza (at about 600 Deg.F), New Haven style pizza (at about 700 Deg.F), and Neapolitan pizza (at about 800 Deg.F). The Mighty Pizza Oven can also be used to cook other items like bread and brisket (at a low 300 Deg.F), roast meat and lots more!
Will the Mighty Pizza Oven 2 work with your gas grill?
The Mighty Pizza Oven 2 fits on most standard grills, but it is recommended to measure your own grill before ordering just to make sure. Your grilling surface should have an area of at least 17” x 17” to accommodate the MPO and your grill warming shelf should be easily removable in case that is necessary to accommodate the Mighty Pizza Oven
If in doubt send me your gas grill model and your grilling top surface dimensions to email@example.com and I’ll help you out.
Tube or block burners are ideal for the Mighty Pizza Oven and multiple round burners will work just fine as long as they are evenly distributed under the Oven. We do not recommend single round burners, (such as fryer burners) at least for the time being. Again, please send me the details of your grill before backing the MPO2 if you have any doubts.
On my own gas grill, I use just 2 of the 4 tube burners available. My NY pizzas are ready in 3 to 4 minutes using bread flour. The baking times may vary depending on the grill; however Mighty Pizza Oven baking times are typically very short and comparable with those of pizza ovens used by the best pizza restaurants.
Why the Mighty Pizza Oven 2 Project needs your help
I designed the original Mighty Pizza Oven and now the Mighty Pizza Oven 2 because I wanted an affordable and energy-efficient oven that baked great pizza and was versatile too.
As I explained above, the Mighty Pizza Oven 2, improves on the original MPO and lets you bake any kind of pizza quickly and efficiently with none of the drawbacks of other pizza ovens..
I am sure there are many other pizza lovers out there, also looking for the right pizza oven. The hardest part is letting them know it now exists.
Please help me spread the word about the Mighty Pizza Oven 2 and, of course, consider pledging for one for yourself or someone you love.
When I launched the Mighty Pizza Oven, I fulfilled my dream of making awesome and perfect homemade pizza easy and accessible to pizza lovers around the world. Now, I’m working to make the whole experience even better with the Mighty Pizza Oven 2 and I depend on you and the rest of the Kickstarter community.
Our initial goal is to raise $11,000, which will be used for:
- producing the Mighty Pizza Oven 2 and fulfilling your rewards
- building and testing a prototype accessory base for the MPO2. with a rotating gear that will let you rotate the bottom pizza stone to achieve even baking, instead of turning the pizza. The base can go on your grill, stove top, or any heat source you wish.
Make your pledge today and join us as we claim our little spot in the history of pizza making. You’ll earn bragging rights for being a part of the Mighty Pizza Oven 2’s success story and you will be able to talk about your contribution whenever you see the Mighty Pizza Oven in the stores, on TV, or being used by your family and friends.
And if you’re still starting out or want to improve your pizza making skills, be sure to visit the Pizza 101 blog on our website. It’s packed with all the tips, tricks, and recipes you need to become a master pizza chef in no time!
.The Mighty Pizza Oven 2 - Delight your family and friends with mouth-watering homemade pizza.
- Cover: This is the main body of the oven, and is made of durable 304 Stainless Steel. The cover has a lip all around the base, an open bottom, a semi-open back and a variable chimney opening on top.
- Back Cover: The removable back panel allows you to easily insert the top pizza stone at one of three heights above your pizza.
- Chimney: The chimney draws warm moist air over your pizza to cook it to perfection and prevent it from drying out. You can easily control the air flow by adjusting the chimney opening.
- Foldable Side Handles: The Mighty Pizza Oven is designed to be portable, and the side handles make it easy to carry. (Please note that the oven should be allowed to cool properly before you remove it from the grill.)
- Front Spring-shaped Handle: Use this handle to tilt up the oven cover to load or remove your pizzas. Depending on your setup, the handle may become hot when the oven is in use, so please use an oven mitten.
- 16″x14.37″ Upper Pizza Stone: This pizza stone is made of cordierite, which is fired at a higher temperature than ceramic and can withstand sudden changes in temperature. The 16″x14.37″ stone fits in Mighty Pizza Oven through the back opening and goes all the way to the front, leaving room for the chimney. It can be placed at three different heights.
- Insulation Panel: Made of heavy gauge aluminum, fits above the top stone to contain the heat and to control hot air direction inside the Mighty Pizza Oven 2.
- 14.37″ Round Lower Pizza Stone: Also made of cordierite, the lower pizza stone is placed directly on the grill grates when baking. This stone is slightly smaller than the top stone to allow for hot air to flow and direct heat from the flames to reach the top stone.
I recommend using the following accessories with the Mighty Pizza Oven (not included - to be purchased separately): BBQ Mittens, IR Gun, Wooden Pizza Peel, Metal Pizza Peel, Pizza Cutter and Digital Timer.
Handle your pizzas like an expert chef with the PROFESSIONAL MIGHTY PIZZA OVEN BIRCH WOOD PIZZA PEEL!
Most people prefer a wooden pizza peel because of its natural and more-appealing look, but why is this exclusive MPO2 Pizza Peel made of birch wood? Because birch has a tighter grain than other woods and gives the peel a harder and smoother surface. This means you can easily slide large pizzas into your Mighty Pizza Oven 2 with just a bit of flour dusting. None of those pizza-gets-stuck-at-the-wrong-moment disasters!
The Mighty Pizza Oven Birch Wood pizza peel is the ideal complement for any oven. The large 13.8″ x 22″ x 0.5″ paddle keeps you away from the heat and is ideal for swiftly transferring breads and pizzas into and out of a hot oven. A must-have for any serious pizza chef!
Shipping outside The 48 Continental States
As indicated in the rewards section, during this Kickstarter campaign we are only able to offer FREE US shipping to the 48 Continental states only.
Unfortunately this means people from Alaska, Hawaii and outside the US wont be able to get the Mighty Pizza Oven or the Mighty Pizza Stone via Kickstarter but can order it on eBay.com few months after our campaign is funded.
If you live outside the continental US and want to get your Mighty Pizza Oven 2 before it goes on sale on eBay, we will be happy to arrange free shipping to a friend or relative of yours in the US.
Shipping and applicable tariffs and customs fees will apply to eBay orders, but the rates are much better than we could achieve on our own.
$1 pledge rewards is available to receive updates when we start selling on eBay.com.
Risks and challenges
Along the years of research and design of the Mighty Pizza Oven and Mighty Pizza Oven 2, we have overcome many hurdles and invested thousands of dollars to get where we are today. Having said that, we understand that there will be still more challenges down the road as we go about manufacturing and shipping this product to our backers, but nothing that we can’t handle or resolve. The original MPO has been a great success and the MPO2 will be even better still.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (60 days)