This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by .
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by .
About this project
In Petrichor, you are a cloud. You use weather to your advantage to make sure you are the one responsible for growing the most crops. This would be an easy task, if the other clouds weren't on the same quest too! So prepare for some mischief in the sky as you trick and outsmart your friends to make sure you are reigning cloud! (...yes we went there).
Petrichor is a highly interactive board game, playable by 1-4 people (up to 5 with the expansion, see below). It's an action selection/area influence game, with 4 simple actions which interact with the various fields in ever surprising ways. The players move clouds with water droplets, and then rain those droplets onto specific fields, to make sure they have the right amount of water for the Harvest. During a Harvest, crops that have been watered enough are scored! Players are able to influence when, and how often the harvest happens. Players need to strike a fine balance between maintaining control of the different fields as well as influencing Harvest, to make sure the two come together in the optimal time.
Our playtesters said it is "like Dominant Species in a fifth of the time"; the game's tightly interlocked and thematic mechanisms provide excitement, lots of interaction, and field-watering fun!
Designed by David Chircop, the designer of ...and then we held hands and Pursuit of Happiness, with additional development and a challenging, full solo mode added by David Turczi ([redacted], Anachrony, Days of Ire: Budapest 1956), and published by the team that brought you titles such as Vengeance and Posthuman.
Petrichor: Flowers is an expansion that emerged naturally during playtest and development. It includes 3 new field types - the titular flowers, and enough components to play the game with 5 players. It will be sold separately after the campaign, but backers supporting at the Thunderstorm level will be able to get it now with a discount (and no extra shipping).
Note: some stretch goals may have the "Thunderstorm" icon next to them, those are only available for people backing at the Thunderstorm level as they'll be included in the expansion box.
We are presenting Petrichor in a finished state, with all the content we have already packed in from the beginning. For this reason, stretch goals focus more on quality of materials and improving the product overall than a trickle of additional content.
- Highly interactive - Every move affects the state of the board, every move is a chance to throw some water into the other player's engine - quite literally.
- Beautiful art - From the magical hands of Daniela "iella" Attard comes this both realistic and fable-like presentation of plants, weather, and many many water droplets.
- Easy to teach, hard to master - Only 4 actions and 4 weather effects to teach, yet the interactions between these and the players themselves create an ever-deepening game driven by the players’ choices.
- Engaging solo play - Designed to simulate an opponent on a smaller, even tighter play area, with surprisingly large replayability; the solo mode was playtested rigorously and we provided rules for several levels of difficulty.
- Quirky theme - Just tell your friends you're playing "competitive raining" next and watch their faces.
Watch Paul Grogan of Gaming Rules! explain Petrichor in the official rules video:
We also have a rulebook available which you can read here. We like to have our rulebooks enabled for commenting during Kickstarter campaigns so that backers can read and place their suggestions. At the end of the campaign we will send the book to our graphic designer for finishing.
Who Dares Rolls' review
- Get it before the rest - Copies will ship to Kickstarter backers way before the game hits traditional distribution. Since there are small differences between fulfillment windows on different continents, it's possible that a few shops might receive copies on a different continent than you, but you're guaranteed to be among the first in your zone. Remember! Retailers may be backers too!
- Get it cheaper - Although the MSRP is not fully solidified yet (as it may go up if we unlock many stretch goals), the game is estimated to go for around $65 MSRP.
- Make it better for all of us - Help unlock a number of stretch goals that will make the game even more enhanced and beautiful.
- We can’t do it without you! - We’ve paid for the development, art, graphic design and gotten the game to where you see it today. But we cannot print and ship without you. Help us make this unique game a reality.
Shipping will be charged after the campaign through our pledge manager system. This allows us to have accurate shipping as well as help us get the best rates and avoid extra fees. Although the below rates are estimates, and may have slight variations depending on exchange rates or unexpected events, they are based on accurate real-life quotes from our trusted partners and are highly unlikely to vary more than 5-10% (1-2$ for most countries) than what we have here.
- EU Zone 1: $12, +$2 per copy, up to 5 copies; or $40 for 10 copies
- EU Zone 2, USA, Australia: $16, +$2 per copy, up to 5 copies; or $48 for 10 copies
- Canada: $16, +$3 per copy, up to 5 copies; or $56 for 10 copies
- Asia and New Zealand: $30, +$3 per copy, up to 5 copies; or $82 for 10 copies
- Rest of the World: $36, +$3 per copy, up to 5 copies; or $94 for 10 copies
The EU Zones are split as follows:
- EU zone 1: UK, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Spain
- EU zone 2: Every other country in EU + Switzerland, Norway
The game will be manufactured at factories we have worked with before and we are confident in their capabilities to deliver a good product. The fulfilment will be handled by a number of different companies depending on the region, with a proven track record. The people involved in this campaign have participated in and even run several campaigns in the past.
We expect the game to be ready for Essen 2017, and we hope to have the game fulfilled before or immediately after Essen. We've set the expected deadline to December 2017, this is to allow some time for potential delays that are outside of our control (factory delays, customs, international holidays, etc). We prefer to under-promise and then over-deliver, than the other way round. Whatever the case, we will make sure that Kickstarter copies are fulfilled way before the game hits traditional distribution. (Note that the game MAY be available in very limited quantities at Essen while KS copies are shipping or in transit).
Risks and challenges
This is Mighty Boards' third project and we ourselves as a team have been involved in a number of fulfilled Kickstarter projects in the past. Furthermore, we have teamed up with the industry veterans at APE Games, who have also successfully fulfilled a large number of board games through KS campaigns and beyond. With our experience on previous projects, we are confident to be able to handle the challenges that come with launching a board game on Kickstarter.
We have done everything we can to minimise all risks from our side, however, board games are usually subject to some risks involving factory delays and customs delays which are completely out of our control. Nevertheless, we are working with partners who we trust and have previously delivered, and we are confident we can deliver the game in a timely manner.
All graphics and art is complete, all development and game design is finalised. Once we have the comments of the community on the rulebook, we will send the text to our graphic designer and we will have it ready by the end of the campaign. Everything will be set for the final files to go to the factory as soon as the campaign ends.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter