After the successful uprising of 23rd October 1956, freedom and peace seemed at hand. But the hard earned victory was not to last: On November 3rd 1956 the Soviets arrest the Hungarian delegation negotiating for the country’s sovereignty and order their troops to push towards Budapest. During the early hours of the next morning the city wakes up to sounds of tank and artillery fire. The Soviet counter-attack, codenamed Operation Whirlwind, has begun.
Relive the desperate fight of the few thousand lightly armed insurgents as they face the Red Army commanded by Marshal Konev in this historically inspired card-driven board game playable by 1-3 players.
Nights of Fire is a thematic sequel to the well received Days of Ire. While directly connected in theme to Days of Ire, Nights of Fire is a standalone game which can be played solo, cooperatively by 2 players, or by 1-2 players against a live opponent in charge of the Soviet troops.
Days of Ire is not required to play, however, the Days & Nights: Red Army Pack expansion contains rules and cards for campaign play of both games in sequence and 28 miniatures usable in both games.
The game is brought to you by Mighty Boards, the same people who brought you such titles as Petrichor and Vengeance, led by David Chircop.
The game is designed by Brian Train, best known for his work on GMT Games’ COIN series, including A Distant Plain and Colonial Twilight, and David Turczi, co-designer of the original Days of Ire: Budapest 1956 game, also known for Anachrony, Kitchen Rush, and many more.
Cards are illustrated by our returning artist Katalin Nimmerfroh, and packaged up with a beautiful cover illustrated by the amazing Kwanchai Moriya. The person responsible for the stunning graphical look is Zak Eidsvoog.
As an additional thank you for supporting the creation of Nights of Fire, every backer at least at the Insurgent level will receive “Yuri and Noel”, two new special fighters to be used in any game of Days of Ire!
Days & Nights: Red Army Pack is an add-on pack that contains 28 miniatures compatible with both Days of Ire and Nights of Fire. It also contains a small deck expansion to Nights of Fire, and an additional deck allowing campaign play.
In Campaign mode you can play a game of Days of Ire followed by a game of Nights of Fire (solo, cooperative, or conflict mode up to 1v2 supported), and have the winner decided only at the end!
Experience the entire epic story of the Revolution from the first sparks to the last breath!
We have already put the maximum that we can include in the game right from the start, and we have made no compromises in terms of its design. The game comes ready with full fledged competitive, co-operative and solo modes out of the box. The stretch goals, therefore, focus more on adding more variety, higher quality components, and other enhancements to further improve the overall experience of the game. We’re starting off with these, and then we’ll announce more as we go along!
Note: some stretch goals might have “Days & Nights only” icon next to them, those are only added to Days & Nights: Red Army Pack, and will be only given to backers at the Leader or Combined Leader levels.
- Continue the epic story started in Days of Ire to a dramatic conclusion.
- Experience an introductory wargame with the mind of a euro-game that will take you 90 minutes or less to play!
- Engaging Solo play — A solo mode designed to emulate the struggle of playing against the live opponent, from the creator of Anachrony’s Chronobot!
- Unique, unexplored theme — The insurgents cannot win militarily, yet they must resist the Soviet machine as long as they can to show the world it is possible to defy repression.
- Exciting for history enthusiasts and curious players alike.
- Beautiful, engaging art — We’ll just let the pictures speak for themselves on this one.
If you would like to know more about the rules of Nights of Fire: Battle for Budapest, watch this thirteen minute explanation by Paul Grogan of Gaming Rules! to see it all in action!
And here is a more detailed teaching video of the Conflict rules from Eleni at Cardboard Rhino!
If you need a reminder of how Days of Ire is played, you can watch another video from Paul about it!
Note: these videos contain prototype components and may include a couple of rule mistakes.
- Get it before the world!– Copies will ship to Kickstarter backers way before the game hits traditional distribution. Note: it is likely that there will be extremely limited copies available in Essen 2018 before the backer copies ship.
- Limited availability! – The game will be manufactured in limited quantities based on the final number of backers. We hope to get many future print runs, but that'll only happen if the game is super successful!
- Get it cheaper! – Although the price is not fully solidified yet (as it may go up if we unlock many stretch goals), the game and the expansion combined is estimated to sell for around $85 MSRP.
- Make it better for all of us! – Help unlock a number of stretch goals that will make the game even more enhanced and beautiful.
- We can’t do it without you! – We’ve paid for the development, art, graphic design and gotten the game to where you see it today. But we cannot print and ship without you. Help make this unique game a reality.
All of the above levels will grant access to pledge manager.
Important: All shipping will be collected after the campaign, using the pledge manager.
These are the add-ons that will be available through our pledge manager as soon as the campaign ends. Do not increase your pledges during the campaign for them. Pledge manager will launch within a week of the end of the campaign, as soon as all payments through Kickstarter are confirmed and the final backer numbers are solidified.
- Additional copy of Nights of Fire: +$43
- Additional copy of Days of Ire: +$43
- Additional copy of Days & Nights Red Army Pack: +$35
- Days of Ire Kickstarter Promo pack (9 cards): +$5
Shipping will be charged after the campaign through our pledge manager system. This allows us to have accurate shipping as well as help us get the best rates and avoid extra fees. Although the below rates are estimates, and may have slight variations depending on exchange rates or unexpected events, they are based on accurate real-life quotes from our trusted partners and are highly unlikely to vary more than 5-10% (1-2$ for most countries) than what we have here.
The EU Zones are split as follows:
EU zone 1: UK, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Spain
EU zone 2: Every other country in EU + Switzerland, Norway
The game will be manufactured at factories we have worked with before and we are confident in their capabilities to deliver a good product. The fulfilment will be handled by a number of different companies depending on the region, with a proven track record. We've set the expected deadline to March 2019, this is to allow some time for potential delays that are outside of our control (factory delays, customs, international holidays, carrier delays, administration etc). We prefer to under-promise and then over-deliver, than the other way round. Whatever the case, we will make sure that Kickstarter copies are fulfilled way before the game hits traditional distribution. (Note that the game MAY be available in very limited quantities at Essen before backer copies start shipping).
Note: at the time of launching this campaign, Mighty Boards’ previous game Petrichor has finished production and has started to arrive to fulfilment centers. We have nothing more to do other than wait for all the packages to arrive, thus we can have our full focus on this project.
Risks and challenges
This is Mighty Boards' fourth project and we ourselves as a team have been involved in a number of fulfilled Kickstarter projects in the past. Furthermore, we have teamed up as US Partners with the industry veterans at Mr B Games, who have also successfully fulfilled a large number of board games through KS campaigns and beyond. With our experience on previous projects, we are confident to be able to handle the challenges that come with launching a board game on Kickstarter. We have done everything we can to minimise all risks from our side, however, board games are usually subject to some risks involving factory delays and customs delays which are completely out of our control. Nevertheless, we are working with partners who we trust and have previously delivered, and we are confident we can deliver the game in a timely manner. All graphics and art is complete, all development and game design is finalised. Everything will be set for the final files to go to the factory as soon after the campaign ends.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (28 days)