Two updates in two weeks. It's amazing! As is Maximus, an awesome return to form from Stéphane Simon...
This week we have...
- sculpt work in progress images from Stéphane Simon;
- an updated list of sculptors and sculpts for this project;
- anything else you can expect from us over the next few months.
Stéphane Simon has clearly enjoyed working on Maximus, for he really has performed wonders on Max Schüte's descendant... as you can see!
Let's have a recap on Maximus' descendant and background first, before we show you the sculpt!
Max Schüte hails from Germany and is, like our other descendants, a prolific supporter of Mierce Miniatures and our Kickstarter projects, and he's joined John Longshore, Tomas Johansson, Rick Boer and Seb Volkmann in becoming a descendant of a Darklands character.
From the very start, Max was very clear in what he wanted - a Germanic berserker of the Kerus, a barbarian tribe of Germany that is well-known to have been a thorn in the Romans' side for many years until the fall of the Roman Empire in the west. In Darklands, of course, the Byzantii are re-conquering the western empire, and this ensures they clash again with their old enemies the Kerusker. Here's a bit of background to Max's ancestor...
Maximus of the Kerusker, whilst now being that thorn in the side of the Byzantii, was raised amongst them: the high-born son of a Kerusker noble, Maximus was given to the Byzantii as a child by his father to become a hostage, the better to ensure the allegiance of his particular Kerus tribe, many of whom fight as foederati amongst the Byzantii. However, Maximus was always a little wild and whilst he initially enjoyed his life amongst the civilised, becoming a warrior of some renown, he eventually came to hate his masters as he realised how depraved they actually were - and escaped to Kerusland, where he found depravity and devil worship. Claiming the demon axe Skōhsla from his father and, with its power, slaying him, he escaped the Kerusker and wandered, becoming a berserker for hire amongst the many hosts that could use his skills...
Artwork by Danny Cruz
Max was very happy to have Danny Cruz draw up his ancestor and we think Danny has done a superb job, as always!
Maximus, as you can see, is a classic Germanic berserker, wearing the bear shirt and looking very wild indeed with those skull trophies. However, there are elements of his Byzantii upbringing, such as the segmentata armour on his shoulders, but that demon-axe looks very nasty indeed.
Sculpting by Stéphane Simon
Stéphane has now completed Maximus and we absolutely love him - he's a superb miniature.
Maximus will be a Wave 14 shipment!
How can I purchase Maximus?
Maximus is available to purchase from our webstore, in the Darklands: First Edition category (and some others too), at the special Kickstarter price of £10.00. When released, he'll likely be £14.99 in resin - he's a big lad - so you've got a good discount there!
Who were the Kerusker?
The Kerus, as we call them, were a Germanic tribe well-known in Roman times as the Cheruscii and whilst they disappeared from history under that name before 650 AD - they were said to have been absorbed by the Allemanni and the Franks - there is no reason why a small tribe of the German forests would still call themselves the Kerus.
Darklands: First Edition is completely ulfilled - apart from two items
As long as shipment items have been paid for, this project is almost completely fulfilled; only two items - the Darklands Concept Art Book and Maximus - are outstanding. The latter will be shipped as part of Wave 14, and the Concept Art Book is underway, although we will not show anything until nearer the end. We do anticipate both being done before the end of the year, although the printing of the concept art book may be later than suggested (as always with external production, we cannot control it very much).
Phew! We're almost there! Thank you all for your great patience and understanding.
We'll keep this list updated every Friday.
- SHIPMENT WAVE 0 (complete for this project): Existing Items
- SHIPMENT WAVE 1 (complete): Dúngal on foot - Dúngal on pony - Ciniod - Itaina - Domnech - Bagseg - Eadric on foot - Aldhelm - Leofwen on foot - Broga - Urien on foot - Ffion Ferddig - Angedern - Mag ap Mag - Ieuan Longshore and Taranau - Erebius - Mananaan on foot - Idruaada - Daarkan - Naraa - Gaarwäg- Scecchus - Thelliatiss- Ágriosávra- Eikovra - Myrkranio - Knútr on foot - Knútr on horse - Birna - Víthar - Rollo Iron Head - Jörmungand - Crom on foot - Annik - Zethag - Gondard (Gondard - Ekk) - Brugg - Uhtred Uhtredson - Finnan - Danilo Cruz
- SHIPMENT WAVE 2 (complete): Timoth - Caedoc - Agathae - Velchior - Djiuzu - Baagath's Herd (Baagath - Blaart - Chuwaa - Ungaa - Rapraag) - Praach - Xontór - Thoth - Hanokh - Dawn of Khthon (Myrinna - Syntyss - Thillia - Phyllidii - Elthissi) - Mälmord - Seza
- SHIPMENT WAVE 3/4 (beginning November): Eadric on Horse - Hrōr - Urien on Horse - Mananaan on Horse - Crom on Horse
- SHIPMENT WAVE 5 (beginning February 2015): Cnebba - Con I Modius, Legionarius Contubernium (Modius - Gellius - Tiberius - Livia - Severa) - Hrafnen Crew, Holumann Unit (Vidkun the Brave - Snorri Snorrisson - Gunnar Half-Shield - Jan - Undrik) - Rikkard
- SHIPMENT WAVE 6 (beginning April 2015): Carys - Equitus Durio on Foot - Equitus Durio on Horse
- SHIPMENT WAVE 7 (beginning June 2015): Wolfborn, Gesith Unit (Egbert - Wulfred- Hrothgar - Cerdic - Wigstan) - Helmed Trytheorn
- SHIPMENT WAVE 8 (beginning August 2015): Unhelmed Trytheorn
- SHIPMENT WAVE 14 (beginning October 2016): Maximus
- SHIPMENT WAVE 15 (beginning February 2016): Darklands Concept Art Book
Items in bold will DEFINITELY be sent in that wave as we have the sculpt; items in italics are either in progress or completed and should make it into that wave, but we don't yet have the sculpt.
Here's the big list of who's sculpting what and when for Darklands: First Edition! Please bear in mind that this list may change over time, so don't take it as set in stone until the first work in progress shots appear.
- Stéphane Simon: Maximus, Maximilian Schüte's Germanic Berserker ancestor, is complete - and that concludes his work on this project!
No more sculpts to go! Huzzah!
We thought this would be a good idea, as things are cracking on - a list of completed sculpts, in kindred order! Completed sculpts are in bold; in progress sculpts are in italics.
- ALBAINN: Dúngal on foot - Dúngal on horse - Ciniod - Itaina - Domnech - Bagseg
- ANGELCYNN: Eadric on foot - Eadric on horse - Timoth - Aldhelm - Hrōr - Leofwen on foot - Wolfborn, Gesith Unit (Egbert - Wulfred - Hrothgar - Cerdic - Wigstan) - Cnebba - Broga
- BRYTHONIAID: Urien on foot - Urien on Horse - Carys - Caedoc - Ffion Ferddig - Angedern - Mag ap Mag
- BYZANTII: Equitus Durio on foot - Equitus Durio on Horse - Erebius - Agathae - Velchior - Djiuzu - Con I Modius (Modius - Gellius - Tiberius- Livia - Severa)
- FOMORAIC: Mananaan on foot - Mananaan on horse - Idruaada - Daarkan - Naraa - Gaarwäg - Baagath's Herd (Baagath - Blaart - Chuwaa - Ungaa - Rapraag) - Praach
- INFERNII: Scecchus
- KHTHONES: Xontór - Thelliatiss - Dawn of Khthon (Myrinna - Syntyss - Thillia - Phyllidii - Elthissi) - Thoth - Hanokh - Ágriosávra- Eikovra - Myrkranio
- NORSE: Knútr on foot - Knútr on horse - Birna - Víthar - Rollo Iron Head - Jörmungand - Hrafnen Crew (Vidkun the Brave - Snorri Snorrisson - Gunnar Half-Shield- Jan - Undrik) - Mälmord
- YSIANS: Crom on foot - Crom on horse - Annik - Zethag - Gondard (Gondard - Ekk) - Brugg - Seza
- SELL-SWORDS: Uhtred Uhtredson - Finnan - Danilo Cruz
- DESCENDANTS: Ieuan Longshore and Taranau - Helmed Trytheorn - Unhelmed Trytheorn - Rikkard - Maximus
Let us know if we've missed anything!