Update: Stretch goal!
Woohoo, we made our goal in less than a week—thanks you all! To celebrate, we've created our first stretch goal:
$20,000: Adulting Awards! We'll send you a set of awards that you can give yourself when you accomplish especially epic adulting tasks like "Not Losing My Shit" and "Getting a Reasonable Amount of Sleep."
About this project
Dr. Faith is back!
She's following up her smash hit, Unf*ck Your Brain, with *two* new books: Unf*ck Your Adulting and This is Your Brain on Depression.
They're both small (128 pages), approachable, smart, and funny introductions, backed up with serious expertise about two important topics for a lot of us: How to act better, and how to feel better.
Here's more about each of them:
Unf*ck Your Adulting
Unf*ck Your Adulting teaches you to be an adultier adult. You won't find in-depth housekeeping or oil changing instructions here—instead, we have a book full of short, straight-to-the-point chapters with titles like:
- Don't be a dick
- Stop comparing your insides to other people's outsides
- Do you actually like the shit you say you like?
- Give yourself permission
- Listen to understand, not to respond
- You win or you learn
There's so much more. And it's so good. The book is based on a much-shorter little zine that was incredibly popular. A 9-year old bought one, and an 80 year old bought one, and everyone in between—we can all use some more adulting skills in a world that sure isn't handing them to us.
(The cover model is River the genderfluid cat, drawn by Trista Vercher.... see the rewards for much River merch!)
This is Your Brain on Depression
This is Your Brain on Depression combines Dr. Faith's trademark blend of neuroscience and cussing to guide you through that heaviest of mental maladies. You'll learn:
- What depression actually is
- What triggers depression
- The different kinds of depression
- And most important: ways to get better
This book started out as a zine by the same name, which became a chapter of Unf*ck Your Brain and has now morphed again into this book; in the process it's been greatly added to, edited and expanded—it's a whole new thing, now.
(Includes inside cover art by Sophie Crumb!)
About the author
Faith G. Harper, PhD, LPC-S, ACS, ACN teaches you her hard-won and hard-learned skills. She's a therapist, a board supervisor, a sexologist, an applied clinical nutritionist, and a person who's lived a full life in this wild, wonderful, messed-up world. She lives, works, counsels, and trains other people to do and understand this stuff in San Antonio, TX. She has been an adjunct professor and a TEDx presenter, and proudly identifies as a woman of color and uppity intersectional feminist. If you wait a week, she'll have written another book and earned another degree.
About the publisher
Microcosm Publishing lives in a bright green building on a bike route in Portland, Oregon. They have been doing this work for 22 years. When they aren't publishing and distributing books, they enjoy activism, jokes, music, and drinking iced tea on the porch.
About the rewards
Your main rewards are these two fine books! Want more than two books? We've got you covered.
Unf*ck Your Brain (book and workbook)
Faith's bestselling book was funded on Kickstarter and came out last year. It's so good! Your brain may seem like it's being an asshole, she writes; it's actually trying to protect you. She gives you tools to rewire it to do a better job of this. If you back for one of these books, you'll also get a handy workbook to go with it!
Faith's other books and zines
Faith is unstoppable! Here's a list of what she's published so far (which you'll be getting if you back at one of the levels where you get all her books and zines).
- Unf*ck Your Adulting - one of the books being funded right here!
- This is Your Brain on Depression - ditto
- Unf*ck Your Brain - Faith's great original instant classic book. You'll get the workbook, too!
- This is Your Brain on Anxiety - another zine-turned-book
- Relationshipping (because love is worth doing well)
- Dating (not to be confused with relationshipping or hooking up)
- Boundaries (those things we need if we want to get close to each other)
- Sexing Yourself (for when you need to give yourself a hand)
- Coping Skills (for when you just can't even)
- Surviving (for when you just need to get through it all)
- This is Your Brain on PTSD (for when you're still dealing with the trauma way later)
- Getting Over It (for whatever it is you need to get over)
- Working (as in, at a job, even if it sucks)
- This is Your Brain on Anger (a necessary emotion that can get out of hand)
- This is Your Brain on Addiction (because yes you can get your life back)
- This is Your Brain on Grief (so, so hard... and it's way worse if you don't let yourself do it)
- Defriending (figuring out when/if to break off any kind of relationship and then doing it like a big kid)
- BDSM FAQ (it's all about consent and communication)
Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) (the ancient art of tapping)
- STI FAQ (how to test for and then deal with the physical AND emotional impact of sexually transmitted infections) - Co-written with Bonnie Scott and Aaron Sapp
- Woke Parenting (how to raise kids who can respect themselves and others and handle themselves in dangerous or awkward situations) - Co-written with Bonnie Scott
- Whatever new thing is in print by the time this project ends!
Want just a few of these? You can get them individually from our website.
River the Cat and all their feelings
You'll notice that many of the rewards revolve around a certain feline character who graces the cover of Unf*ck Your Adulting. Faith asked us to make a not-boring custom feelings chart to go with her books, and sent a list of 24 emotional states. Our in-house artist (and customer service rep!) Trista Vercher developed the character of River the genderfluid cat to express each emotion, and we all fell in love.
At various reward levels, you can get:
- a poster showing the many emotions of River
- a set of pin-back buttons each showing a distinct emotion
- a set of fridge magnets, handy for letting the people around you know how you're doing on any given day.
Here's what the buttons look like:
And here's what the magnets look like:
Mental Health Bookshelf
This excellent selection of mental health books includes Unf*ck Your Adulting, This is Your Brain on Depression, and:
- Unf*ck Your Brain (book and workbook)
- How Not to Kill Yourself - Set Sytes's manual on this vital life skill
- Maps to the Other Side - Sasha Altman Dubrul's bipolar adventure guide
- Alive with Vigor - A collection of stories about health and wellness
- Awesome Future - comics about living your raddest life
- Good Trouble - a book by Microcosm's founder about being autistic and learning to succeed in life
Risks and challenges
There are unavoidable risks with any publishing project—misprints, scheduling snafus, postal delays, damaged shipments, warehouse disasters. We've been doing this for 22 years and we've weathered many a problem, so whatever does come up, we're ready to deal with it. Fortunately, we've read these books, so we can deal with them in an extra mature and emotionally stable way.
Thank you!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)