On November 23rd, 2010, Eminent Domain became the first big game success on Kickstarter. It had the most backers at 699 and most funding at $48,378, a record which stood for 9 months.
Eminent Domain just got even hotter with this first big expansion.
EMINENT DOMAIN: ESCALATION is an expansion and require Eminent Domain to be able to play it.
Escalation is the first big expansion for Eminent Domain. In Escalation, you get:
- To play with up to 5 players.
- Different functions for the different ship models from Eminent Domain.
- New technologies and new ways to obtain technology.
- Scenarios that breathe new life into Eminent Domain with variable starting positions.
- Some direct conflict is introduced through 3 of the new tech cards.
Eminent Domain: Escalation is an expansion to Eminent Domain and the base game is required to play. The following video will show you both how to play and one reviewer's opinion of Eminent Domain.
Backers of Eminent Domain: Escalation will get the following in their copies of Escalation (This includes the stretch rewards unlocked):
- 15 Planet Cards (Civilized x6, Hostile x3, Bustling x6)
- 6 Start Planet Tiles
- 5 Fleet Tiles
- 32 New Technology Cards (Advanced x9, Fertile x9, Metallic x9, Diverse x5)
- 18 Scenario Cards - Abundance, Battlecruiser, Scientific Discovery, Spoils of War, Colony Ship, Knowledge is Power, Overseer, Streamlined, Biosphere, Arms Dealer, Destroyer, Black Market, Explorer, Scorched Earth, Artificial Intelligence, Fertile Ground, Imperialism and Warmonger.
- 28 Role Cards (5 Players Now Supported)
- 1 Player Aid Tile
- 2 Central Display Errata Stickers (Warfare icon, Survey Icon)
- 3 Errata Cards (Logistics, Abundance, Bureaucracy)
- PROMO PACK (FREE FOR BACKERS) - 2 Additional Scenario Cards - Iconoclast & Double Trouble
- PROMO PACK (FREE FOR BACKERS) - Prestige Start Planet
- PROMO PACK (FREE FOR BACKERS) - 2 Utopian Planets
- PROMO PACK (FREE FOR BACKERS) - Military/Economic Alternate Victory Condition Card
- KICKSTARTER EXCLUSIVE - Foil Stamped Boxes with Digital Signatures
- 9-Planet Bonus Expansion
Eminent Domain has been one of my absolute favorite games ever since I first tested it in 2010. I liked it so much that Seth Jaffee made me a prototype copy for my birthday in June of 2010.
I especially enjoy the variety of unique tech cards, and how winning a race to a specific tech can lead to victory since there is only one of each.
Escalation adds 32 new technologies to choose from as well as methods to obtain them. Take for example, the technology, Wealth of Knowledge:
You can buy Wealth of Knowledge with 2 destroyers instead of paying 5 research symbols. Once in play, it will make your survey cards very powerful, opening up some new strategic lines of play.
Wait, what is a Destroyer? I thought all of the ships were called fighters? They were! Eminent Domain: Escalation, adds different meanings and powers to the different ship models.
Hundreds of hours of game play testing and development have gone into Eminent Domain: Escalation, and it is now ready for you.
During one of these play testing sessions, we were curious about the power balance of many individual tech cards. For example, we wanted to know if Fertile Ground was more powerful than the Weapon's Emporium.
So, we played a game where we started with them, and scenarios were born. Scenarios are asymmetric starting positions where each player starts with a level 2 technology and a different and thematic starting deck.
Now we have 20 scenarios designed and tested.
We would love to be able to give you all 20 scenario cards, and you will be able to unlock them through stretch goals...
Developing, manufacturing, shipping, and delivering games is expensive. As we receive more funding, we can put more into each game box.
So, each time we cross another funding threshold as described below, then we will provide the corresponding upgrade to Eminent Domain: Escalation:
- UNLOCKED @ $25,000 - Eminent Domain: Escalation Funds
- UNLOCKED @ $30,000 - 2 Additional Scenario Cards - Artificial Intelligence & Fertile Ground
- UNLOCKED @ $35,000 - 2 Additional Scenario Cards - Explorer & Scorched Earth
- UNLOCKED @ $40,000 - 2 Additional Scenario Cards - Imperialism & Streamlined
- UNLOCKED @ $45,000 - 2 Additional Scenario Cards - Knowledge Is Power & Overseer
- UNLOCKED @ $50,000 - 2 Additional Scenario Cards - Spoils of War & Colony Ship
- UNLOCKED @ $55,000 - 2 Additional Scenario Cards - Battlecruiser & Scientific Discovery
UNLOCKED @ $70,000 - PROMO PACK INCLUDED (for sale later):
- UNLOCKED - PROMO PACK @ $70,000 - 2 Additional Scenario Cards - Iconoclast & Double Trouble +
- UNLOCKED - PROMO PACK @ $70,000 - Prestige Start Planet
- UNLOCKED - PROMO PACK @ $70,000 - 2 Utopian Planets
- UNLOCKED - PROMO PACK @ $70,000 - Military/Economic Alternate Victory Condition Card
- UNLOCKED @ $100,000 - All copies of Eminent Domain: Escalation and Eminent Domain pledged for through the Kickstarter campaign will have foil stamped signatures on the covers. (EXCLUSIVE TO KICKSTARTER)
- UNLOCKED @ $100,000 - All copies of Eminent Domain: Escalation which are pledged for in this project will have the mini expansion of 9-bonus planets included in their box.
- @ $130,000 - A supply of 3-Fighter tokens will be added to Eminent Domain: Escalation. These will help when managing supplies of fighters.
A La Carte items are a good way to customize your individual pledge to get you exactly what you want. For example, you might be an avid fan of Eminent Domain and want the expansion for yourself and a gift for friends.
A La Carte items can be added to any pledge level and are in addition to your base pledge.
Every A La Carte item will have the appropriate stretch rewards.
These are for USA delivery:
- Eminent Domain: Escalation - Add $25 to your pledge
- Eminent Domain + Eminent Domain: Escalation - Add $50 to your pledge
A La Carte items can only be added to pledge levels that get rewards. These are for CANADIAN delivery:
- Eminent Domain: Escalation - Add $38 to your pledge
- Eminent Domain + Eminent Domain: Escalation - Add $80 to your pledge
A La Carte items can only be added to pledge levels that get rewards. These are for WORLDWIDE delivery:
- Eminent Domain: Escalation - Add $45 to your pledge
- Eminent Domain + Eminent Domain: Escalation - Add $95 to your pledge
Eminent Domain has been immensely successful thus far, but it is hard to tell how much demand there is for the first big expansion.
It could be that there is only demand enough to print about 2,000 copies, or there could be sufficient demand for 5,000 copies. And printing the wrong quantity would either lead to shortages of games or financial losses which could prevent the 2nd big expansion (Exotica) from coming out.
There is no way for me to know before printing. In addition, the financial resources of TMG are currently tied up in games like Rialto, Village, Village Inn, Il Vecchio, and so forth.
Our capacity to discover, design, and develop quality games is currently greater than our financial capacity to produce them and maintain existing product lines. Therefore, we turn to the fans and early adopters to help us fund many of our games on Kickstarter.
Thanks to your support I can live my dream of publishing wonderful games, connecting people, and strengthening families. For that I am eternally grateful. To date I have been able to publish over a dozen games, including the recent breakthrough success of Dungeon Roll on Kickstarter.
I hope you find Eminent Domain as awesome as I do. If you would like a computer wallpaper, then click here.
I hope that you will back Eminent Domain: Escalation by clicking the large green "Back This Project" button at the top of the page.
I hope that you will allow me to continue living my dream of publishing great board games.
Founder & Chief Game Servant of TMG
If you have any questions, then check out the FAQ below. If it isn't answered, then feel free to contact @tastyminstrel on Twitter or send a message to me on Kickstarter.
- Music - Also Sprach Zarathustra was composed by Richard Strauss in 1896. Performance provided by Kevin McLeod on a creative commons license 3.0 through INCOMPETECH.
Risks and challenges
There are numerous risks associated with the process of delivering published games. We have published over a dozen games, including several Kickstarter projects. We have learned many things along our journey, and are fully confident that we will be able to deliver Eminent Domain: Escalation before December of 2013.
A delay in delivering any game is likely to come from one of 3 main sources, artwork, manufacturing quality control, and freight logistics. Our artwork is already finished, the manufacturing process is relatively simple, and we have left enough cushion for freight problems.
We have taken steps to mitigate the risks to prompt delivery which we have discovered thus far in our game publishing careers.
Specifically, for Eminent Domain:
All of the artwork is finished except for the planets which can have names added to them as chosen by Kickstarter backers. We have been working with Panda Games Manufacturing for many years now, and they are ready to start the printing process as soon as we have this final bit of art which will take about 1-2 hours to complete.
After that, it will be about 10-12 weeks for manufacturing and 4 weeks for ocean freight to ship the game from China to the USA. Once received at our warehouse in the USA, we will ship Eminent Domain promptly out to backers.
Regarding delivery of Dungeon Roll, which recently finished:
Dungeon Roll is being manufactured by Grand Prix International, which did our previous dice game of Martian Dice along with other games like Zombie Dice, Rory's Story Cubes, Bananagrams, For The Win, Munchkin, and more. They are very capable manufacturers.
The molds for the custom dice have already been started, and all of the artwork for the game is completed. We have delivered 100% of the files to GPI to print, and I will be wiring them the remainder of tooling costs +50% of the manufacturing costs on Monday April 1st, 2013
After that, it will take them approximately 10-12 weeks to fully manufacture the game, after which we are prepared and setup to start the shipping of the games from China to our warehouse in the United States. This will take about 4 weeks.
Once in the United States, we will be shipping Dungeon Roll to backers.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (12 days)