About this project
Belfort: The Expansion Expansion adds role-selection and individual scoring possibilities to the game of Belfort! In The Expansion Expansion you will:
- Select an Assistant for their amazing ability or an expansion permit each round, in reverse turn order.
- Laugh and enjoy the world of Belfort which again has artwork by Josh Cappel. This is not just a soulless euro...
- Expand and upgrade your built properties to get scoring opportunities that are available only to you.
These scoring opportunities will give you new incentives for certain types of game play, for example:
- A Library expanded with an archives will give you a point for every 2 cards you have in your hand at each scoring round.
- A Gardens expanded with a pavilion will give you a point for every 5 wood used in the properties you built at each scoring round.
Belfort: The Expansion Expansion rulebook. (Does not yet have final artwork)
Below is a thorough video about how to play Belfort provided by "Watch It Played".
- Setup - 00:00 - 5:50
- Gameplay - 5:51 - 24:52
- Properties Explanation - 25:20 - 29:34
Belfort: The Expansion Expansion includes the following in each box pledged for on Kickstarter:
- 1 Rulebook
- 20 Expansion permit cards
- 10 Assistant tiles
- 8 Wooden assistant pieces
- 5 New Guilds
One month after construction had already begun, the King, in his infinite yet limited wisdom, has suddenly decided that building the beautiful town of Belfort before winter (and those darned Yeti attacks) was simply not going to be beautiful enough.
The King thinks for a moment and then, begrudgingly decides to allow all the architects to use his Assistants. Every month each architect will choose one Assistant and can either use the Assistant’s special ability or send them to the Permit Office to get an Expansion Permit.
4. Once you've paid the cost, slide the Property card over so that the expansion becomes visible... now you have expanded your property, and its scoring bonus will earn points for you in every scoring round! In this example, the Inn + Pool will reward you with 1 point for every complete set of the three worker types you hold (Dwarf + Elf + Gnome).
In the infinite wisdom of the king of Belfort, he has decreed, "NO GAMEPLAY STRETCH GOALS!" Being the publisher of the game, I inquired of the king.
Michael Mindes (Publisher): Oh wise and gracious King. Why are we not going to have stretch goals that add gameplay to Belfort?
The King: The game of Belfort and its expansion expansion is fully playtested and complete. There is nothing to add, and we certainly don't want to take anything away!
MM: But... But... But... How am I going to keep backers excited about Belfort: The Expansion Expansion so that they will share the project with their friends, grow the popularity of Belfort, and grow as a game company?
KING: Not my concern. You are clever, you'll figure something out. Just don't try any of that funny business of withholding a portion of the game for extra funding. I hate that crap, and I am the King. I will not tolerate it in my beautiful city of Belfort.
MM: What about the Belfort comic book? What about BLING? Everybody likes bling right? Oh, and we could maybe give them the previous promo guilds... Oh, and fun project updates about the assistants!
KING: Great ideas. I am glad I thought of them! Remember, BLING is expensive...
So, here are the stretch goals:
- @ $20,000 - "The Expansion Expansion" funds! WOO!
- @ $25,000 - Kickstarter Exclusive Box for "The Expansion Expansion" - With digital signatures of the designers and artist.
- @ $35,000 - Belfort Comic Book, this is not exclusive to Kickstarter, but I do not have any plans to print additional copies for sale or distribution right now. So it will be very difficult to get physically after this project.
- @ $50,000 - Guilds Promo Pack #1 (3 additional guilds for Belfort) included in every copy of the Kickstarted expansion. This will still be available separately as a promo.
- @ $70,000 - Extra master dwarf/elf stickers to make all of your dwarves and elves from the base game double sided.
- @ $100,000 - KICKSTARTER EXCLUSIVE BLING!
- @ $250,000 - MORE KICKSTARTER EXCLUSIVE BLING!
- @ $500,000 - EVEN MORE KICKSTARTER EXCLUSIVE BLING! - You heard the king... Bling is expensive!
Belfort has been extremely well received, but it is hard to tell how much demand there is for the first big expansion.
There could be demand for 1,000 copies, or 3,000 copies. And printing the wrong quantity would either lead to shortages or financial losses.
The best way to figure that out is through Kickstarter...
One of the best things that can happen for any Kickstarter project is to garner additional awareness about a product. Sure, it is great to get mentioned in certain places, like Wired, MTVGeek, Penny Arcade, Boing Boing, Mashable, Tested and so forth.
But nothing is as powerful than a personal note from a friend that makes a strong recommendation. If you would like to do this, then great! Of course, if not, there is the quicker social sharing via Facebook and Twitter.
Even better than that though, if updating your profile pictures on Facebook, Twitter, Kickstarter and BGG. For that purpose, we have the following avatars for you to use:
It is a great pleasure for me to be able to publish board games. Not because I get to play games all day, I actually play less published games today than I did 4 years ago when I started.
I really like knowing that people out there love our games and have stronger relationships as a result of them.
I can continue to do this thanks to your support.
I hope that you will back Belfort: The Expansion Expansion by clicking the large green "Back This Project" button at the top of the page.
Founder & Chief Game Servant of TMG
If you have any questions, then check out the FAQ below. If it isn't answered, then feel free to contact @tastyminstrel on Twitter or send a message to me on Kickstarter.
And if you are a backer, then the project comments are a great tool as well. You should be able to get responses from the game designers, game developer, artist, publisher, and other backers there!
Risks and challenges
We are pleased to be working with Panda Game Manufacturing again on Belfort: The Expansion Expansion. They have been a fantastic supplier of games to TMG for many years now. We have a mutual understanding of the processes of both companies and can get things done pretty quickly as a result.
As Belfort: The Expansion Expansion is only made of paper products and wood, I do not expect any manufacturing delays once we get started. And we have over 95% of the artwork for the game finished. So, by the end of the project, we should be starting pre-press work, and delivery in the handful of months after that.
While a couple of our previous projects in Dungeon Roll and Eminent Domain: Escalation are on their own timelines, we felt that it would be important for you to know how the delivery of those is being handled.
Regarding delivery of Dungeon Roll, which recently finished on Kickstarter:
Dungeon Roll is being manufactured by Grand Prix International, which did our previous dice game of Martian Dice along with other games like Zombie Dice, Rory's Story Cubes, Bananagrams, For The Win, Munchkin, and more. They are very capable manufacturers.
The molds for the custom dice have already been started, and all of the artwork for the game is completed. We have delivered 100% of the files to GPI to print, and paid for tooling and the first 50% of production
After that, it will take them approximately 10-12 weeks to fully manufacture the game, after which we are prepared and setup to start the shipping of the games from China to our warehouse in the United States. This will take about 4 weeks.
Once in the United States, we will be shipping Dungeon Roll to backers.
Regarding delivery of Eminent Domain: Escalation, which also recently finished on Kickstarter.
We have finalized the quantity to be printed of Eminent Domain: Escalation with our manufacturer Panda Games Manufacturing. We have worked with Panda extensively in the past, and they do an excellent job. All of the artwork is finished and submitted for Escalation.
This means we are looking at about 12-16 weeks to manufacture, another 4 weeks to ship to our warehouse in the United States, and from there, we will be delivering to our Kickstarter backers.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Right now the base game is available outside of the USA (or at least it is through distribution) so, please ask your favorite retailer to pick it up and get it through them.
Due to the expense of shipping outside of the USA, it is not being offered as the base game through the Kickstarter project outside of the USA.
To ship internationally is extremely expensive! It just is, and it is more easily seen on a smaller game like Belfort: The Expansion Expansion. The game will be available through distribution in the future, so I suggest requesting that your favorite retailer get copies or get a group together to buy multiples.
This option is much more cost effective for you.
At $50,000 there is a stretch goal for promo guild pack #1. Is that the same as what is currently available through BGG?
Yes, it is.
Support this project
- (16 days)